PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 09-24-2011, 07:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Cool Narita aviation museum trip Sept 23, 2011

Had a great opportunity to visit the aviation museum at Narita airport, outside of Tokyo Japan. The weather was perfect and clear and comfortable after the Typhoon passed by 2 days before. Got there from Tokyo by train and then a transfer bus. My luck! it was a national holiday and they had lots of events for kids at the airport. They were making paper model B787 planes for flying fun ( ANA just got their new Boeing 787 ). The bus to the museum and the entry fee were free that day ( hey, things are not cheap in Japan, so this was a treat ).
Narita aviation museum trip Sept 23, 2011-panorama-view.jpgNarita aviation museum trip Sept 23, 2011-outside-observatory.jpgNarita aviation museum trip Sept 23, 2011-entrance.jpgNarita aviation museum trip Sept 23, 2011-isaac-zero-cockpit.jpgNarita aviation museum trip Sept 23, 2011-isaac-c-195.jpg
All of the outdoor aircraft and most of the memorabilia inside are of commercial and civilian aircraft. The most impressive thing inside was a huge model of a Boeing 747-400 that was controlled from a flight deck simulator, which I got to try as well. It was very impressive to see a model spanning over 20 ft move about, deploying flaps, slats, air brakes, and landing gears.
They also had an operational cabin simulator of a DC-8 and a forward section of that aircraft as well with period seats and bins ( I should have worn a suit and tie ). My friend brought his Pan Am bag and was right in place.

The other items of interest were the hundreds of models in various scales ( some probably 1/24 scale size ) most were about 1/72 scale. I was really enjoying the metallic ones. Nice detail. Some of the models were made of card stock ( paper ) and that to me was a joy to see. Zeppelins and structures.
Narita aviation museum trip Sept 23, 2011-models-2.jpgNarita aviation museum trip Sept 23, 2011-models-3.jpgNarita aviation museum trip Sept 23, 2011-models-4.jpgNarita aviation museum trip Sept 23, 2011-models-5.jpg
Narita aviation museum trip Sept 23, 2011-zeppelin.jpgNarita aviation museum trip Sept 23, 2011-zep-castle-paper.jpgNarita aviation museum trip Sept 23, 2011-zep-gondola-station-paper.jpgNarita aviation museum trip Sept 23, 2011-tokyo-station-1929-paper.jpgNarita aviation museum trip Sept 23, 2011-models.jpg

Arigato gozaimasu

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 09-24-2011, 10:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Great pictures - thank you for sharing.

Tim
Old 09-24-2011, 10:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for sharing this images. I wish I had known about this museum when I lived in Japan!

Don
Old 09-24-2011, 11:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
cool museum! thanks for sharing your pictures!

Wyvern
Old 09-24-2011, 11:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
And a good time was had by all, it looks like. Great museum, thanks for posting the photos.
Google Adsense
Old 09-26-2011, 02:34 AM

Cool Narita aviation museum trip Sept 23, 2011

Had a great opportunity to visit the aviation museum at Narita airport, outside of Tokyo Japan. The weather was perfect and clear and comfortable after the Typhoon passed by 2 days before. Got there from Tokyo by train and then a transfer bus. My luck! it was a national holiday and they had lots of events for kids at the airport. They were making paper model B787 planes for flying fun ( ANA just got their new Boeing 787 ). The bus to the museum and the entry fee were free that day ( hey, things are not cheap in Japan, so this was a treat ).

All of the outdoor aircraft and most of the memorabilia inside are of commercial and civilian aircraft. The most impressive thing inside was a huge model of a Boeing 747-400 that was controlled from a flight deck simulator, which I got to try as well. It was very impressive to see a model spanning over 20 ft move about, deploying flaps, slats, air brakes, and landing gears.
They also had an operational cabin simulator of a DC-8 and a forward section of that aircraft as well with period seats and bins ( I should have worn a suit and tie ). My friend brought his Pan Am bag and was right in place.

The other items of interest were the hundreds of models in various scales ( some probably 1/24 scale size ) most were about 1/72 scale. I was really enjoying the metallic ones. Nice detail. Some of the models were made of card stock ( paper ) and that to me was a joy to see. Zeppelins and structures.

Arigato gozaimasu

Isaac
Old 09-26-2011, 02:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.19 MB
WOW!
I didn't know Narita Airport had such a museum. Damn! I've been to that airport a lot of times and I never bothered checking.
Maybe next time....

Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:05 AM

The museum is on the approach end of runway 34L.

You can take a taxi from the main terminals ( the fastest way, but a bit costly ), or there is a bus that departs certain times from terminal 1 and 2. If you are short on time, take a taxi.

Worth a visit.

Isaac
Old 09-26-2011, 08:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.19 MB
Thanks for the tip. I'll try to squeeze that in the next time I get sent to Japan.

I'm also itching to pay a visit to the museum over at Ueno.

Eric
Old 09-26-2011, 06:10 PM

Ueno does not have an aviation museum. It is a science musem and there is a Zero fighter plane there, no other aircraft

There is the Yasukuni shrine museum that has a Judy, a Zero and and Okka plane along with other military stuff . It is not far from the imperial palace.

Isaac
Google Adsense