PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 04-15-2012, 06:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
2012 Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days

The fourth annual Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days will take place at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC) Army Heritage Days in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA, on Saturday and Sunday, 19 and 20 May 2012. Members of the Paper Modelers’ Forum will display models and demonstrate paper model techniques from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM on those days.

As of now, the Forum will be represented by Rick Steffers, Kevin Stephens, Gil Benson, Karl Warner, and John Glessner (DrLaser). SilverOxide plans to be there, but will not be able to bring his models. We will have five tables in the corridor of the Visitors’ Center adjacent to the Heritage Trail, where many activities will take place.

We will showcase models relating to the history of the U.S. Army, but will also be displaying other models to demonstrate the range and scope of paper models.

Thanks to John Bowman, Jim Gausman and Design Group Alpha; Ryan Short and Lbirds.com, and Cliff Button and Paper Tiger Armaments, who have generously authorization to reproduce models of U.S. Army aircraft, vehicles, weapons, and equipment for visitor handouts, and to Chris Gutzmer and ECardmodels for providing the copies of the handout models. All of these great folks have also been terrific and faithful supporters of the event.

Here are the threads about the previous Paper Modelers’ Displays:

2011: Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2011 Carlisle, PA
2010: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/museums-air-shows-events-get-togethers/8061-paper-modelers-army-heritage-day-2010-carlisle-pa.html
2009: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/museums-air-shows-events-get-togethers/2879-16-may-2009-army-heritage-day-paper-modelers-display.html

If you live anywhere near Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA, or if you happen to be traveling through during that time, we hope you will stop by to say hello, to enjoy the Army Heritage Days activities, and to get acquainted with the USAHEC and the U.S. Military History Institute -- a great place to do research for future models, to learn about your own Army ancestors and relatives, or to make use of the vast collection of documents. There will also be a sale of used military history books by the USAHEC Foundation.

If you would like to participate by displaying models and demonstrating paper modeling techniques, please send Rick (rickstef) or me (Don Boose) a PM so we can coordinate your participation. Set up times are 4:00 to 6:00 PM on Friday, 20 April, and before 7:30 AM on Saturday and Sunday morning. You may certainly bring in models to display at other times, but you will have to carry them in from the visitors’ parking lot. Because of the number of exhibitors, re-enactors/living historians, and visitors, the access road to the exhibit building will only be accessible to us at the times indicated.

We look forward to seeing you!

Don Boose
Google Adsense
Old 04-15-2012, 08:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
I wish I lived nearby, I'd be there! Regardless, good luck with the event. Might I be so bold as to suggest that you offer a simple, one-sheet model, as a "give-away." In fact, with the time alotted, perhaps a make-n-take. A simple, free FG model comes to mind, but I am sure there is something available in our downloads that fills the bill.

Also, have a sheet of urls for free models...paper-replica, papermodelers.com, canon creative zone...you get the idea.

Have a great time, Don. Make sure you take and post pictures!
Old 04-15-2012, 08:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
If only the East could meet the West! I would love to go!

Like Charles said, do record the event extensively, as to serve as an alternative for
those who live too far away, but would have otherwise visited!
Old 04-15-2012, 08:32 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Major,

We will have about 3 or 4 models available for taking, unfortunately, a make and take table is a bit of a stretch, according to Karl, they are expecting 15000 visitors, and a third more reenactors.

Plus with the traffic in the area we are displaying, we won't have much time to help with cutting and gluing.

I do know that Kevin, Don, and myself will be taking pictures, if possible we will try to upload in the evening or even during the day.

We do know that BAE Systems will be bringing several MRAP vehicles, the M888 Hercules, Tracked Recovery Vehicle, The Paladin A6, Bradley, and hopefully other vehicles

I am hoping for some Choppers, one of the years I was there, they have the UH-72 Lakota, Blackhawks have been there too

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 04-15-2012, 09:13 PM

More on the Handouts

Sorry you can’t be with us Johnray.

Chuck – We always have simple, one-page models available as handouts. Ryan Short has produced a special Army Heritage Day model of General Mark Clark’s Stinson L-5. The model was designed by Roman Vasyliev (der kampfflieger). DGA models has provided a 1/48 jeep model and last year, Cliff Button (Paper Tiger Armaments) designed an Army Heritage Day model of the M3 Stuart light tank. See Images AHD1, 2, and 3, below. This year, Cliff is working on an M113 Armored Cavalry Assault Vehicle (ACAV), of which I have fond memories because they supported us in Vietnam.

As Rick mentioned, the event does not lend itself to a make and take table, but we always snag a few new modelers with the handouts each year. Last year, our prize catch was Karl Warner, who had been charged with looking after us and who became a good paper modeler in the process.

Next, I will be posting a report on the gathering Rick, Kevin Stephens, Don Weeks (RockPaperScissors), Karl, and I had yesterday to plan the event.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days-ahd1.jpg   2012 Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days-ahd2.jpg   2012 Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days-ahd3.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-15-2012, 09:22 PM

The Hardy Boys Plan an Event

Yesterday, Rick Steffers, Kevin Stephens, Don Weeks (RockPaperScissors), Karl Warner and I met at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center to plan for Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days.

Karl, who is not only a paper modeler and a member of our Forum, but is also a member of the USAHEC staff and our case officer for the event, gave Rick, Kevin, and me a tour of the Heritage Trail to show us some of the new exhibits.

Image 1 shows (left to right), me, Rick, and Kevin standing in front of one of the most recent acquisitions (still being refurbished): an 8-inch howitzer, M1, of the type that equipped the famous 17th Field Artillery Battalion during the Korean War. We decided that this howitzer (Image 2) gets our vote for Michał Rafalski’s next project (after the T-28 and the Japanese Type 89).

Further along the trail, we took a look at the PAK 43 88-mm gun recovered from the Normandy beachhead and formerly on the U.S. Army War College campus (near the statue of Frederick the Great). Image 3.

We took a close look at the M4A3 Sherman (Image 4).

Karl and Kevin counted the rivets (Image 5). Caption: “Oh boy, wait until I tell Greg he has the wrong type of lug nuts on his road wheels!”

Don Weeks joined us for lunch, but first, we looked around the Omar Bradley Museum. Image 6: Karl points out to Rick, Kevin, and Don W the map used by General Bradley during the Normandy landings.

Image 7: Kevin, Rick, and RockPaperScissors with some of Don W’s miniatures and paper models.

Don Boose
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days-pmatusahec120414_001.jpg   2012 Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days-pmatusahec120414_002.jpg   2012 Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days-pmatusahec120414_003.jpg   2012 Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days-pmatusahec120414_004.jpg   2012 Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days-pmatusahec120414_005.jpg  

2012 Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days-pmatusahec120414_006.jpg   2012 Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days-pmatusahec120414_007.jpg  
Old 04-15-2012, 09:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Understand the limitations, I was just thinking ahead....15,000 visitors. Yow! THat should be a great day.

Love the pix. I may be taking my Mom up to Pittston in PA this summer. IF I do, I will definitely include a stop in Carlisle to see the museum!

You guys have a great time!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:04 PM

Websites for USAHEC and Army Heritage Days

Here is the website of the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center: The U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC)

Here is the Army Heritage Days website: The U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC)

Previous Perspectives in Military History lectures are available here: The U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC)
Eventually, I expect my own lecture on Army amphibious operations in the Korean War ("Over the Beach") to appear there.

Don
Old 04-16-2012, 03:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.83 MB
Looks like a dangerous bunch that mean business. See you all next month!
Old 05-13-2012, 01:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Wish I could be there. I'm traveling to Italy for business the Monday after so there is 0 chance I could surprise you with a visit. Besides, more than 50% of my stuff needs repaired after the move from PA to IA. I do have a house now, if anyone wants to visit. Also there is an army ordinance plant here, but I don't know if it can be toured (I doubt it since it is still in operation, they tell me). There IS a lot of railroad traffic (The Burlington Route was started here and is now part of BNSF) and the mighty Mississippi flows along the town with various floating vessels...

Greg