PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 08-20-2012, 06:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Cool Yokota Japan Air base open house

Yesterday was a great sunny day in Tokyo. The USAF air base Yokota ( about one hour northwest of Tokyo ) had an open house. It is part of the friendship weekend that allows Japanese and US national on base. Most of the events were of food, music and dance and some demonstration on the ground. However my interest was the aircraft on display ( very little flying was done though ).

There were many aircraft on display from the US and Japan.

Here are just some of the pictures I took.

More pics in the next post

Enjoy

Isaac
Attached Thumbnails
Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4321.jpg   Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4334.jpg   Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4344.jpg   Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4357.jpg   Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4387.jpg  

Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4390.jpg   Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4395.jpg   Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4407.jpg   Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4420.jpg   Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4424.jpg  

Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4445.jpg   Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4449.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-20-2012, 06:59 AM

More pictures

here is another set of picture taken by me.

Isaac
Attached Thumbnails
Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4445.jpg   Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4449.jpg  
Old 08-20-2012, 07:02 AM

More photos

for some reason, I exceeded the size limitation, so here are some more

Isaac
Attached Thumbnails
Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4462.jpg   Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4484.jpg   Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4500.jpg   Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4521.jpg   Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4534.jpg  

Old 08-20-2012, 07:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great images, Isaac! Many thanks. Yokota was my home 1987-1990 when I was the Assistant Chief of Staff for Strategic Plans and Policies (ACofS J-5) for U.S. Forces Japan. The the photos brought back lots of good memories.

Don
Old 08-20-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Great images, Isaac! Many thanks. Yokota was my home 1987-1990 when I was the Assistant Chief of Staff for Strategic Plans and Policies (ACofS J-5) for U.S. Forces Japan. The the photos brought back lots of good memories.

Don
Don

I did not take any pictures around the base, but I think most of it is the same as you left it.

There were no V-22 on display as there is controversy in Japan on having them here ( safety concern; but it is more than that..... )

Anyhow, glad I went to your old stomping grounds.

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 AM

"I think most of it is the same as you left it."

Well, most of the JASDF aircraft you pictured were flying 20+ years ago. I flew in a Kawasaki C-2 just like the one in your photo (maybe the same one - I'll have to dig out my journal to see the tail numbers of the aircraft I flew in).

And military activities in Okinawa, night carrier landing practice at Atsugi and elsewhere, and deployments of certain military systems were controversial issues then, too (as the former J-5, I'm here to tell you!).

I really appreciate seeing your photographs of your travels in Japan, and of aircraft that you see during those travels. And I always enjoy your paper model builds.

Don

Don
Old 08-20-2012, 01:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 130.59 MB
Isaac, thank you for sharing the pictures. I remember participating in Friendship Day at Air Station Iwakuni around the same timeframe that Don was up in Yakota.

I went back to Iwakuni in the late 90's, and it was pretty much the same as the day I left... Heck even many of the same employees were still working in the same departments (if not the same job) as when I left... So there were a couple of fleeting moments when I wondered if the previous decade was just a dream. So I can bet that Don could find his way around Yokota with the same ease as when he was there back then.

Again thank you for sharing.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:00 PM

I will post a few pictures later on that show some of the base buildings behind the aircraft I photographed.

Isaac
Old 08-21-2012, 03:26 AM

Smile some pics with backgroud of base

Don

Here are a few pics of aircraft I selected that show some of the buildings and structures. Hopefully it brings back some fond memories

Isaac
Attached Thumbnails
Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4322.jpg   Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4350.jpg   Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4356.jpg   Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4363.jpg   Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4326.jpg  

Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4342.jpg   Yokota Japan Air base open house-img_4343.jpg  
Old 08-21-2012, 05:34 AM

Thanks, Isaac. I enjoyed seeng these flight line images - the buildings, the airplanes, and the people.

Don
Google Adsense