PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 11-12-2013, 03:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
More pictures

No politics, just pictures

Isaac

Hiroshima-ground-zero.jpg Ground zero

Hiroshima-trike-helmet.jpg Trike and helmet

Hiroshima-memorial.jpg Memorial

Hiroshima-flame.jpg The flame
Old 11-12-2013, 08:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.17 GB
Whenever we look at the past, we should also look at the present. Today the USA and Japan are the strongest of allies. The people of both countries benefit each other and enrich each others' lives. Both of those cities have been rebuilt into magnificent cities.

As a contrast, look what came from the ashes of WWI, in particular the result of the relations between France and Germany.

I am an American and cringe at the horror committed during WWII. I also look today at the people of Japan with great respect and admiration. I cannot say that of all nations of this world, both former allies and enemies.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
Isaac,

thank you for the pictures.

It gets me contemplative that already the second reply
opens the bill with casualties vs. casualties, justifying
the death of thousands of people with the saving of others,
like everytime this debate is opened.

I could start to ask why civilians should die instead of
soldiers, but it would not hit the mark.

The real question to me is:
Why is it not possible to look at these pictures, realize what
happened there, and just sit back and hope that we never will
need to be in such a situation, without justifying any death?

Best regards,
Thorsten
Old 02-09-2014, 05:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 102.95 MB
I lived in Hiroshima for one year, 1991. I had a wonderful time there. I spent a lot of time in Peace park. I lived close by and it was a lovely place to relax. I knew a couple of people who had experienced the bomb. One man showed me the keloids on the back of his legs that were a result of the bomb. But for the most part, it was just like any other city. Just a very nice one with friendly people.

Robert
Old 06-03-2014, 10:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
thanks for the photographs. very interesting to see the exhibition and the dome.

In progress: Canon Alice in Wonderland Tunnel House, Canon A340, Learning Blender
Google Adsense
Old 06-03-2014, 12:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.48 MB
The Dome Building is an impressive image.

I found this:

Greetings from Brazil!

Mauther
Old 06-03-2014, 01:36 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
The past is a school - think and learn from it ...
USS Arizona Memorial free papercraft download | PaperCraftSquare.com
Yogi
Old 06-03-2014, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Question Top 2 tourist destination in Japan

I just read this CNN article that states based on japan tourist info, that Hiroshima is ranked as the #2 tourist destination in Japan.

Hiroshima atomic bomb attraction more popular than ever - CNN.com

I suppose there are multiple reasons to visit places that either are sites of utter devastation or memorials. I have been to many sites as well as military museums around the world. There is no making sense of it. Each of us travels a lonely path when we visit these sites.

Isaac
Old 06-03-2014, 09:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.57 MB
Thanks for the pix. It does give one pause for thought. As a child of the 50's I remember so many people that fought in WWII. Sentiment was somber at best, but a lot of people thought the bomb was the salvation of the time. The Japanese were fierce. Our president at the time made a decision to end hostilities any way we could. Did it save lives? Most certainly. Was it one of the most horrific uses of force known? You bet.
I for one will never forget.
It's good to see the exchange on this forum. Where else can you find a paper model of an atomic bomb, how to put it together, and then build a paper airplane to deliver it.
Go figure.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
As a professional historian, and having been one for over half my adult life, let me warn those of you who are going to talk about any historical event.

Don't fall into the Century Trap.

The Century Trap is when one discusses an historical event while ignoring, overlooking, downplaying, or minimizing the context of the times, most often unintentionally or through ignorance of prescient circumstances. I've already seen it having happened in this thread, and as an historian, it is my duty to my fellow posters and friends here, to say something.

Let me give you an example: It is the year 2014. Jack owns a lawn mower. It is a nice 20" gas mower, powered with a 7hp Briggs & Stratton engine. Jack keeps it in perfect running condition. Jack uses this lawn mower weekly, to mow his beautiful lawn. Is Jack doing anything wrong?

Here's the example: It is the year 1814. Jack owns a slave.

The point is this: In 1814, slavery was a societal norm in many regions of the world. Only a few visionary thinkers felt that it was wrong on any levels for someone to own another human being. What would those in future generations, say in the year 2214, think about owning a machine powered by a dangerous fossil fuel, emitting carbon dioxide fumes, for no other reason than chewing up grass for aesthetics? This is the Century Trap.

We as a modern social, technological, and political construct, are almost totally incapable of viewing historical circumstances in their accurate context, simply because we are neither trained to know better, nor capable of applying our own life experiences in this modern era to a previous one.

Nor are we able to foresee future context, because that is a total impossibility. It is only with specific training and study that we can be minimally capable of understanding the basics of past historical context, merely to avoid falling into the Century Trap. Yes, we know today that slavery is abhorrent. Did they know it in the early 19th Century? No, not like we do today. Do we know what future civilizations will see as moral, ethical, and proper? No.

So please, please, be very careful when making opinion-based statements about historical events. Emotions and passions can run high and hot.
Google Adsense