PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 11-11-2013, 07:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Question Hiroshima

Just got back from a trip to Hiroshima. Took the bullet train ( Shinkansen ). It was a very important trip for me.

In addition for being anti nuclear of any form ( including power generation ), I was always fascinated by the why the justification of any nations or powers for collateral damage on civilian population. Regardless of who started what or when or why, at the end it is the civilian population that suffers.

Also, I met and talked in person Paul Tibbets back in September 2004! I did not ask him why since I already knew his position.

The atomic bomb is an extreme example of collateral damage, however, we live in a world that still continues to damage civilians to this day without the use of this weapon.

In any case, that is enough of my speech.

here are some photos of the remains and the museum exhibits in Hiroshima.

Of interest is the T bridge which was the target area.

Hiroshima-shinkansen-stop.jpg

Hiroshima-visitors.jpg

Hiroshima-model-bomb.jpg

Hiroshima-t-bridge.jpg

Hiroshima-world-heritage.jpg

Hiroshima-target-area-before.jpg

Hiroshima-model-before.jpg

Hiroshima-dsc_0583.jpg

Hiroshima-t-bridge-original-pic.jpg

Hiroshima-dome-after-attack.jpg

Hiroshima-dome-across.jpg

Hiroshima-life-goes-.jpg

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 11-11-2013, 08:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Thank you for the photos.

That's one of the places of the world I really would like to see in person.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
My father was in the Army during WW II.
He could have been one of the estimated 1,000,000 casualties which we would have taken if we had invaded Japan to end the war.

Consequently, I think that using the bomb was the best course of action for the US.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:52 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I agree Zakopious. My father as well. It's easy for us today to sit back and armchair quarterback history. It was an extremely terrible event without equal, but I venture to guess that if the war was brought to it's ultimate conclusion using conventional means, the loss of life on both sides (including civilians) would have numbered many times more than those lost from the 2 bombs.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
I have had different positions (going from side to side) about the atomic bombs during my short life in this planet.

History is tricky. And it looks easy seen from our present time. It also is very easy to find better solutions and propose "what ifs" now. During the real conflict it is all a mess, and no-one seems to know nothing, that's why happens what it happens.

In any case, a big loss of lives from both sides could have been avoided earlier, should wiser men were in control of the events, instead of purely political and pride-driven egos from both sides.

A constant in my thought is that if it weren't Hiroshima or Nagasaki, it could have been Berlin and Munich, or London and Liverpool, Krakow and Gdansk, Naples, Milan, Sacramento, San Diego, or whatever other unlucky cities.

The technological advances leading to the atomic bombs were unstoppable. In a sense, they were unavoidable, and whoever got them first would throw them anyway over their enemy.

Mankind has learned to divide atoms. But we are still far from learning how to get together as a species.

For those old enough to remember good TV documentaries, "The World At War" (1973) is a great series that is worth to watch. Episodes 23 and 24 are quite relevant to this topic. It gives a wonderful view of the events with some interviews with the real people who lived those days and had something to do with them.

The world at War is a far better collection of documentaries and interviews than any of the WWII-themed programs on History, Discovery or NatgEo channels in the recent years.

I know very little of the Japanese point of view about this event. I know however several works have been made about it. Barefoot Gen is a Japanese animated feature and printed manga based on the author's experiences as a child during and after Hiroshima. His dramatization of the events is incredibly poignant. There are some samples in youtube if you are curious. I refuse to post them here since some images are extremely accurate and strong, bordering gore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
here are some photos of the remains and the museum exhibits in Hiroshima.
Isaac
Isaac, do people still leaves paper cranes there? Or is that at Nagasaki that they have this custom? I don't remember very well the story of the paper cranes.

Last edited by Rubenandres77; 11-11-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 11-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Objection to this subject matter

My understanding of this forum was that is was not intended for political statements. In my opinion the dropping of the Atomic Bomb on another country sure boarders on political to me. wc
Old 11-11-2013, 10:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Without making a judgment on this, there is a paper model of the ruined building at Hiroshima here, Art on the Net 1995 - gallery d
Old 11-11-2013, 10:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenandres77 View Post

Isaac, do people still leaves paper cranes there? Or is that at Nagasaki that they have this custom? I don't remember very well the story of the paper cranes.
Here it is
Hiroshima-childrens-peace-monument.jpg

Hiroshima-childrens-peace-monument-paper-crane.jpg

Hiroshima-school-kids-paper-cranes.jpg

Hiroshima-paper-cranes.jpg

Hiroshima-more-paper-cranes.jpg

without comments

Isaac
Old 11-11-2013, 10:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wad Cutter View Post
My understanding of this forum was that is was not intended for political statements. In my opinion the dropping of the Atomic Bomb on another country sure boarders on political to me. wc
You know WC, I can see your point to an extent. However.......there is some historical context in which this subject can be discussed here. Maybe placing it in "Museums, Air Shows, Events etc... was not the best place to put it, but non-the less.

There is some relevance to the models we build here and the subject.

If a person comes to this thread and is offended by the discussion, we're all welcome to express our opinion, just like you have........then leave and the thread and don't return.

I've done that on some threads that get my goat, but then I say good bye and don't come back.

We're not all going to agree on everything discussed on this forum but that doesn't mean that the subject shouldn't be discussed by those that want to.

Hope this helps you understand what's going on here.

Swampfox
Old 11-11-2013, 11:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.16 MB
Very interesting,,, reading all that you folks have posted.
My Father was on the San Jacinto aircraft carrier fighting the Japanese
during WWII.
They would fly into Japan and Okinawa and do bombing raids, ETC,
before those bombs were dropped.
He brought back original mission pictures, and sortie, and mission plans
from that time as well.
I think that we can all talk about history and give opinions.
Isn't that what a forum is about?
After all,,,
We build paper models of the aircraft, ETC, used by all the country's from
different wars.
Lets all be thankful that it was the only time that happened.
And hope it does not happen again.
Best Regards,
Gary
Google Adsense