PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 10-30-2014, 04:16 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Just my opion

I've been reading all the notes on moving the convention site and thought I would throw my two cents in, for what's it's worth. Not much!
I'm reading people's opions about moving the location of the show and even though I've only attended one event I feel it should stay put, right where it is. From what I've heard how it's been in this location all these years, why change it now. Is it because it's too far to travel for some, I understand but it's a once a year thing. I realize it might be a hardship for some people to travel but I'm also more compassionate about structure and keeping things the way they are.
I live in NYC now but would no sooner ask the convention to be moved there or to Charlotte, NC where I hope to be living within the next year. No, just leave it where it is, and who ever can make it, great, to those that can't, I'd be sorry not to see you next year but that's the way it goes. You can't always please everyone.
I ran a very successful Airliners Collectors show in Newark airport for many years and never once did I ever consider moving the location. So this is why I'm in favor of staying put, right where it is. It's got its roots right there. Yes I know it started somewhere else, but this is where it wound up.
What I would whole heartily suggest is to those that would want a convention in there area is set it up, make all the arrangements, see how much hard work and money is put into running one of these things. But don't be surprised if no one walks in the door the day of the show. I've seen it happen.
Instead, just try to organize local get togethers for those in your area but then leave the Md gathering as the yearly national event.
Like I said, this is just my opion for whatever it's worth.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Wink and also singing together

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
I just had an idea about renting a bus that could travel to various locations to pick up modellers then head off to Maryland. We could all pool our funds to pay for the bus, fuel, and a driver or two (I happen to have a CDL with passenger endorsement, so I could do time as a driver to save costs). OR maybe rent an RV that'll sleep a few people. An RV might work better. Don't need a CDL to drive it, and if we get enough beds, won't need to worry about hotel stops.
Sort of like the Partridge family?

Isaac
Old 10-30-2014, 05:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
ooo-ooh, can I be Laurie?
Old 10-30-2014, 06:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richschindler View Post
I'm in favor of staying put, right where it is. It's got its roots right there. Yes I know it started somewhere else, but this is where it wound up.
What I would whole heartily suggest is to those that would want a convention in there area is set it up, make all the arrangements, see how much hard work and money is put into running one of these things............
Rich

I am not advocating changing the venue for those that are OK with the current location. There was allot of hard work that goes into putting an event such as this. If the intent is to stay the course with the current participant, then yes, this is a great way to do it.

My point was if you want to add new participants, then you need to look for options. One that we floated is to have multiple regional events. This way, you will get more folks to attend.

Anyhow, I will continue drumming up local support in the Cincinnati, Dayton and Columbus Ohio area with the paper builders joining me at the local IPMS clubs contest.

Next year, I will ask for a dedicated paper table as we just had in Cincinnati a few weeks ago.

Isaac
Old 10-31-2014, 11:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
And just a point, the convention hasn't always been there, just in recent years. Point is, given happy coincidence, it might be worthwhile to look at combining or sharing events to the benefit of all. One problem I have with the IPMS/USA Nationals is the entrenched notion of its schedule and a complete blindness to possible improvements (as in shifting the days so to lose Weds & include Sunday.) The 'always been that way' reasoning isn't a rational argument (though it is a 'rationale') when there are valid reasons for change. Organizations are 'living' entities, being made up of people as they are, and so should be expected to experience growth and change. Of course, if 'growth' is not desired, then by all means stick to the existing paradigm. However, given the accessibility of paper modeling to the 'masses' through the wonders of the internet, perhaps change is unavoidable.

R/ Robert
Google Adsense
Old 11-02-2014, 08:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.59 MB
I have been following the commentary of an IPMC West type event for some time now and had several discussions with various members at the recent convention. I would like to do this, starting small and see what happens. I have added a paper category to the IPMS "Best of the West" tentivily set for April 2015 at the Riviera Hotel in Las Vegas and wonder how much interest there would be from some of the Left Coast crowd?