PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 03-29-2009, 01:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
16 May 2009 Army Heritage Day Paper Modelers' Display

Our Paper Modelers’ Forum will have a display table at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (AHEC) Army Heritage Day in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA, on Saturday, 16 May 2009.

Here is the AHEC website http://www.carlisle.army.mil/ahec/index.cfm (Directions for getting there are at the "About Us" tab.)

Photos of last year’s Army Heritage Day are here: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/museums-air-shows-events-get-togethers/1406-army-heritage-day.html

All paper modelers are invited to participate by displaying models, or just by coming by to see the models on display and enjoying the Army Heritage Day activities (displays of current and historical U.S. Army equipment, reenactors, the Army Heritage Trail, a World War II basic training confidence course, and more) and visiting the Military History Institute reading room in Ridgway Hall (USAMHI Homepage -- a great place to do research for future models, to learn about your own Army ancestors and relatives, or to make use of the vast collection of documents). There will also be a sale of used military history books by the AHEC Foundation.

The focus for this year's Army Heritage Day is World War II, so we would like to see as many U.S. Army WWII-era models as possible; but models of U.S. Army equipment of any era and models of any nation's WWII ships, aircraft, vehicles, weapons, or other military equipment would also be welcome.

We have an 8x16' area on which to display the models in the foyer of Ridgway Hall. Rick Steffers (Rickstef), Kevin Stephens (KCStephens), Greg (modelperry), and I (Don Boose: “boosed”) will be setting up the display on Friday evening (15 May) and Saturday morning 0630-0900 (with a break for breakfast at a nearby diner).

You are welcome to join us for dinner and/or breakfast and card model camaraderie (details of time and place are still being worked out). The building will be secure during the night and Ridgway Hall will open at 9:00 AM Saturday morning. We will leave space for late-arriving models.

Kevin will be bringing his beautiful tanks, including a GPM M4 Sherman under construction (next year comes the Dragon Wagon, right, Kevin?), his PzKw IV, Stuart/Honey, and the OTHAEBT 2 Su-100. Greg plans on bringing his M3 Stuart, a Japanese Type 1 Chi-He, a Gaz AA truck, and a Sikorsky helicopter in US Army medical livery. I think Rick will bring his big WWII soldiers and other models, including a bunch of Hummers. And maybe the paper model of the German Navy WWII Enigma machine. My meager contributions will include the 1/48 M-37 3/4-ton truck and the 1/48 DGA Beaver U-6 in Korean War-era, and the Horrible Hampden might make another appearance.

If you can join us, please send me a PM that we will have some idea of how many people and models are likely to be here. I will provide info on lodging in the Carlisle area and our plans for the Friday evening gathering soon.

We look forward to seeing you!

Don Boose

Last edited by Don Boose; 03-29-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 03-29-2009, 02:13 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Yes, Siegfried and Roy will be attending(my soldiers)

Our first president, George Washington, will be in attendance also.

As for vehicles, the following will be there.
The aforementioned Hummers
Sarge from the movie Cars
The AEC ACV "Dorchester"/"Mammut"
Hopefully a couple of different Dodge WC-50 Series trucks.
I am hopeful for some level of the Scud Launcher to be able to be displayed.

Paper Replika's German Navy's Enigma Machine will be there

and whatever else I feel like building between now and then

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 03-30-2009, 01:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
This is going to be an outstanding event, I'm proud to be a part of it this year.

Last year, me and two of my children were able to attend. We found it to be a so much fun. The re-enact ors and live dioramas representing different eras of military history were very educational and informative - very well done. There are so many things for a family to see and do. It's a great place for the kids to learn about our Country's Military history. They are sure to gain a new respect for our Armed Forces and their sacrifices for our Country.

I look forward to meeting many of you there.

Kevin Stephens
Old 03-30-2009, 05:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
I am looking forward to this as well. It will be a nice change from my usual participation in IPMS contests - ie. no pressure.

Greg
Old 03-30-2009, 09:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
That sounds like fun, I don't know if I could get that far from home but who knows?
Old 03-30-2009, 09:21 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Pictures, blog entries, and maybe some video will follow
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 03-30-2009, 09:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
We'd love to have 'ya, Birder...Acording to mapquest its only a 36 hour and 24 minute drive from Liberty Lake, WA to Carlisle, PA or 2400.93 miles

I think you would defiantly win the award for longest distance traveled. :D
Old 03-30-2009, 10:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Thanks Kevin, mostly wishful thinking I'm afraid at this point, we've been out of town for over a week..may have used up any good points I had...
Old 05-01-2009, 02:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Update

This is a reminder that on May 16, 2009, Paper Modelers will have a table display as part of the Army Heritage Day activities at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (AHEC) in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Our display will be just inside the door of the main AHEC building, Ridgway Hall.

Rick Steffers, Kevin Stephens, Greg Perry, and I will be displaying some of our models and giving demonstrations of paper model building.

The website for Army Heritage Day indicating all the activities that will take place: http://www.carlisle.army.mil/ahec/VEC/events.cfm

The website for AHEC: http://www.carlisle.army.mil/ahec/index.cfm

The theme of this year’s Army Heritage Day is World War II, so we are emphasizing WWII U.S. Army models, but there will be other models on display, including Greg’s Russo-Japanese War battleship, Admiral Ushakov (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/ships-watercraft/2853-orel-admiral-ushakov.html) and Maddy Stephens’ C-141 Starlifter (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/aviation/1379-c-141-father-daughter-project.html). Rick, Kevin, and Greg may wish to weigh in with additional information about the models they are bringing.

Ryan Short (http://www.lbirds.com/) has produced a special Army Heritage Day edition of the Stinson L-5 Sentinel designed by Roman Vasilyev of Kampfflieger Models that we will be handing out to visitors, along with an historical description of the aircraft that Ryan has written. Thanks also to Chip Fyn, Glen (birder), and the gang at Fiddlers Green (Fiddlersgreen.net.. 3 FREE models for new visitors) for giving us permission to reproduce the FG Piper L-4 Grasshopper, and to John Bowden and Design Group Alpha (DGA Home Page) for permission to reproduce the WWII Army jeep and Nissan hut as hand outs.

We hope that many of you who live within driving distance of Carlisle will be able to stop by and say hello. We will leave some room on the display table for any of you who may come by bringing additional models for display.

Here are photos of last year’s Army Heritage Day: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/museums-air-shows-events-get-togethers/1406-army-heritage-day.html. We will be posting photographs of this year’s event as well.

Keep in mind that there will also be a car show that weekend (Import-Kit/Replicar Nationals), so allow a little extra driving time to cope with the traffic. The car show might be an additional inducement for some of you to come to Carlisle. http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/ce/events/import/

If you need information on hotels in the area, send me a PM.

Even if you can’t attend this particular event, keep in mind that AHEC includes the Army Heritage Trail, where you can see a French and Indian War fort, a Revolutionary War redoubt, Civil War winter cabins, World War I trenches, a World War II cantonment area, a D-Day exhibit (with Sherman tank and German anti-tank gun), and a Vietnam fire base. During the week, the Military History Institute Library and Archives in Ridgway Hall are also open to the public. You can examine the actual manual for that U.S. Army armored fighting vehicle or other piece of equipment you are building, look for information about a relative or ancestor who served in the U.S. Army, check out the exhibits, and talk with the staff (you might even run into me, since this is one of my usual hangouts).

Even for those who prefer not to build or deal with weapons of war, there is much valuable information about Army engineering projects, the Civilian Conservation Corps experience, and other peaceful Army pursuits.

Don Boose
Old 05-01-2009, 06:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
In addition to the "Admiral", I plan on bringing my Fly Model Stuart, Zarkov Army Helicopter, Maly Chi-he, Angraf Gaz AA and maybe a few surprises.

I will have plenty of unbuilt stuff to show off and I might be able to use this event as a dry run for parts of the presentation I'm working on for the June meeting of the IPMS chapter I'm a member of.

I am really looking forward to officially meeting Don, Kevin & Rick and hope that some of you out there in the not to distant cyberspace can join us.

Greg
Google Adsense