PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 08-08-2014, 06:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show

When WWII ended, I was 10 years old, and on my bedroom wall were probably 200 or more pictures of airplanes from magazines and other sources. And I could name them all! Most of them, I still can – in photos or real.

So, this afternoon, over my house at pattern altitude, came a formation of a P-38, a P-47, and three P-51’s, on their way to Willow Run airport for this weekend’s air show. Talk about exciting!

I plan to attend tomorrow, and will post some photos. One of the events is being called the “Texan Take Over”, because 30 AT-6’s are expected. And for the unusual, how about a Stearman with a jet engine attached? Should be fun.

Last edited by WVA; 08-08-2014 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Spacing
Google Adsense
Old 08-09-2014, 03:24 PM

Administrator: Can this category be changed to Aviation??? JIm
Old 08-10-2014, 05:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.42 GB
Hi, I was at my sons house on saturday and seen the B-17 fly over, a Huey Cobra and the Thuderbirds in diamond formation while driving on I-94.
Always want to go, but other things come up.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:54 AM

Some photos from the airshow: The major attraction was the Air Force Thunderbirds. Second attraction was the gathering of AT-6's, 29 showed up.
Attached Thumbnails
Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as1.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as2.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as3.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as4.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as4a.jpg  

Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as5.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as6.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as7.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as9.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as10.jpg  

Old 08-11-2014, 09:03 AM

My favorite planes at an airshow are the vintage and WWII ones. In addition to the AT 6's, an attraction was a jet powered Waco! Fast, hovering, and very noisy! Then there was the P-47, the Airacobra, and a P-38.
Attached Thumbnails
Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as11.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as12.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as13.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as14.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as15.jpg  

Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as16.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as17.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as18.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as19.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as20.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 08-11-2014, 09:13 AM

I didn't get home with a program, so I don't know the owner of most of these. Only three Mustangs here, and two Avengers. Boy, those are big! The B-25 belongs to the Yankee Airforce (Willow Run),the B-17 is a visitor. The C-47 is a Yankee Airforce plane, the next B-25 as well as the Harpoon(?) are visitors.
Attached Thumbnails
Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as21.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as22.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as23.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as24.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as25.jpg  

Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as26.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as27.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as28.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as29.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as30.jpg  

Old 08-11-2014, 09:21 AM

The Black Knights parachute team made a mass jump to the delight of the crowd! One of only two flying B-24's. The Ford Willow Run factory was turning out one of these an hour near then end of the war, although not this one. Now the factory is being torn down, save a corner which will become the Yankee Airforce hanger and museum. Also, a few AT-6 photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as31.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as32.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as33.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as34.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as35.jpg  

Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as36.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as37.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as38.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as39.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as40.jpg  

Old 08-11-2014, 09:32 AM

Too many T-6's to post all! There was also a military demo, with many vehicles, including the jeep (I have one of these...but under restoration), trucks including this monster (maybe Don can fill us in on what this is!). Also, we had a re-enactment of a tank battle, with 5 Stuart tanks, vs. a German tank (small, I don't know the designation). I couldn't make my way to the fence, so had to take photos over the heads of spectators.
Attached Thumbnails
Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as41.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as42.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as43.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as44.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as45.jpg  

Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as46.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as47.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as48.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as49.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as50.jpg  

Old 08-11-2014, 09:41 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
The 4 axle truck is the HET, Heavy Equipment Transporter
new version of the Dragon Wagon
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 08-11-2014, 09:42 AM

I always find the support equipment worthy of attention.The airforce didn't have the only Thunderbirds at the show! A show of Ford Thunderbirds must have had 30 or more on display.

There was a fund raising table for the Yankee Air Force, and one of the deals was to have your photo taken with Rosie the Riveter. As most know, Rosie was the Poster Girl during WWII for women going to work to support the war effort. At a previous event, some 800 women, dressed as Rosie, set a Guinness World Record. The museum has raised most of the eight million dollars needed to buy the corner of the old bomber plant, and make it into a museum.

Then, there is the strongest man at the airshow! Hand stacking 500 pound bombs by himself!

The end.
Attached Thumbnails
Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as51.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as52.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as53.jpg   Willow Run, Ypsilanti Michigan, Air Show-as54.jpg  
Google Adsense