PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 03-14-2015, 08:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Cross Country Trip

On March 27th, will be driving Hwy 40 from Knoxville to Flagstaff. Plan on hitting some museums on the way. Planes of Fame is one stop, what others are available?

Will spend time in Phoenix, then head north through Arizona and Utah to Idaho. Finally ending up in Seattle.

Bought a car and will ship it to Alaska from Seattle. 15-day road trip to get it there!

Thank you in advance for suggestions!

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 03-14-2015, 08:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
On March 27th, will be driving Hwy 40 from Knoxville to Flagstaff. Plan on hitting some museums on the way. Planes of Fame is one stop, what others are available?

Will spend time in Phoenix, then head north through Arizona and Utah to Idaho. Finally ending up in Seattle.

Bought a car and will ship it to Alaska from Seattle. 15-day road trip to get it there!

Thank you in advance for suggestions!

Mike
Where is Planes of Fame? The only one I could find was in Chino, California.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 44.75 MB
You gotta see the worlds largest ball of rubber bands and the world largest frying pan! Oh wait, you probably wanted airplane related stuff. Sorry, I can't help you there...
Old 03-14-2015, 10:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Atomic Air Museum
Kirtland AFB,
Albuquerque, NM
They Have a website, google for more info.

Wings over the Rockies,
Denver, Colorado

Arizona Wing of CAF
Falcon Field, Mesa, Az

Museum of Flight,
Boeing Field
SeaTac, Seattle Wa.

Swampfox

I may think of others and will post later
Old 03-14-2015, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
cross country stops?...well heres a great list of everything you will need by city and/or state:
important stops for Mike's road trip
Google Adsense
Old 03-14-2015, 11:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Swing a few hours south of Phoenix and hit Pima Air and Space museum in Tucson. www.pimaair.org
Old 03-14-2015, 12:08 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Well, one suggestion is lots of pics.

Of anything really that looks odd or interesting.......

Yes?
Old 03-14-2015, 12:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.40 MB
There are two additional things to do in the Seattle area. Everett is just at the north end of the metropolitan region. It is home to Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection. Flying Heritage Collection - Home

Close by to the Heritage Museum you can take the tour of Boeing's Everett facility which is quite the show. This is the factory where they do the assembly of the 747, 767, 777 and 787. Boeing Tour Seattle (½ Hr N), Everett WA, Future of Flight

There is an air museum in Rexburg Idaho.

My partner grew up in Idaho Falls, his cousins are still there and own quite a few historic planes, two Beechcraft Staggerwings, a Beechcrat 18, Cessna 120 and 180, two Stearman Biplanes and a Vietnam era A-4 Scooter Jet. The only one I have gotten to fly in is one of the Stearmans during an aerobatic session. Anytime you see the last name of Hoff mentioned in the link below for the Beechcraft group's newsletter that is this family. The lineup of the planes on the grass field with the mountains in the background is at their ranch in Idaho Falls where they have a large hangar full of the vintage planes and vintage motorcycles too. They keep some of their planes at their FBO Aero Mark at the Idaho Falls Airport. You should be able to call ahead and arrange to see the ones they have there.
http://www.beechcraftheritagemuseum....e/3/BHM179.pdf
Old 03-14-2015, 02:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
Swing a few hours south of Phoenix and hit Pima Air and Space museum in Tucson. Pima Air & Space Museum : Tucson, Arizona
Winslow, AZ has the La Posada Hotel. Not recommending you stay there (unless you really want to), but it is nice to see what hotels were like back in the day.

Winslow also has a TON of little "Route 66" shops as well as Standin' On A Corner Park. While definitely not a must-see, it's still a cool nod to the Eagles song.

Second the Pima Air Museum!

If you have time, swing even further south and see the Titan II Missile Museum.

If at all possible, between Phoenix and Flagstaff I strongly recommend a side trip to Jerome. It's an old copper mining town and is cool as heck! This would also put you into position to visit Sedona. If an "energy vortex tour" isn't you thing, the scenery is still nice. Plus, Oak Creek Canyon is a bit more scenic than I-17...

You didn't mention which route you are taking into Utah, be aware that there you will want to do a little pre-planning due to the 89A detour south of Page. I mention this because you used to have the option of swinging by Navajo Bridge and the Vermillion Cliffs area before proceeding into Paige. Now it's one or the other (unless you do a significant backtrack).

Outside of Page is Glen Canyon Dam. The tour is interesting, especially from a "how things work" perspective.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:33 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
There is the USS Razorback in Little Rock, an air museum outside of Tinker AFB in Tulsa,
and an astronauts museum between Ft Smith, AR, and Tulsa, OK. Wish I could remember the astronauts name to help find it, but it is right on I40 West.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense