PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 06-21-2015, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
The last I heard from Pima is they're not allowed to work on it because it's a parts plane for WB-57's that are still flying. All the carbon fiber and fiberglass parts (nosecone, engine cowlings, etc) are stored indoors to prevent sun damage.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
That is a great set of pics Murph. Pima is near the top of my aircraft museum bucket list. But, I think a winter trip would be required. I'm a northern climate kind of guy. Sometimes I even second guess Omaha, like today. oooof.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:01 AM

Pima is definitely recommended for winter visits. It's not as hot as Phoenix, but the difference between 110 and 118 is marginal.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
All great images, Wayne!

The A-24 Banshee (Army version of the Navy SBD Dauntless) was used in the Southwest Pacific in the early part of World War II. The 27th Bombardment Group (Light) (16th, 17th, and 91st Bombardment Squadrons) was en route to the Philippines when the war began, the aircraft were diverted to Australia, joined later by the air and ground crews, and some of the unit saw action in Java January-March 1942. The 8th Bombardment Squadron of the 3rd Bombardment Group (Dive) based at Charters Towers, Australia, equipped with the surviving A-24s of the 27th BG in March 1942 and beginning on 1 April 1942 flew from bases near Port Moresby, New Guinea, conducting attacks on the Japanese air base at Lae, interdiction operations, and anti-shipping strikes. Sometime after July 1942, the 8th BS was withdrawn from combat and re-equipped with A-20s.

Maurer Maurer, Ed., Air Force Combat Units of World War II, Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History, 1961, reprinted 1963, pp. 30, 78, available at http://www.afhso.af.mil/shared/media...100921-044.pdf

Kenn C. Rust, Fifth Air Force Story, Temple, CA: Historical Aviation Album, 1973, pp. 4-5

Also: Douglas A-24 Banshee - Dive Bomber / Reconnaissance Aircraft - History, Specs and Pictures - Military Aircraft
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqPM-MXtvdk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r_FwjRaEL0

Don
Old 06-22-2015, 07:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
I always want to go back. They're building a new hanger to put lots more planes in, and I noticed enough spare fuselages back in their boneyard to build a complete PBY Catalina. I just need to have another perfect trifecta (Weekend off, access to a car, and enough money). Plus I think I'll wait until somebody turns the oven outside off. 100,000 degrees is a bit toasty for me.
It was to hot at 99 deg when I was there in April...

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 06-22-2015, 11:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Hey Don, thanks for vote; but those are Aaron's photos. I'm just getting started on my last set from there.

Wayne
Old 06-22-2015, 12:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
My apologies, Aaron! I was doing two things at once, something for which I don't have the brain capacity, and got confused. In any event, you have provided some great images, and I appreciate the info on the Lodestar (I think all the Electra/Hudson-derived aircraft were beauties, all the way through to the Ventura and Harpoon).

I was surprised and pleased to see the image of the A-24 and hope my additional info was useful. The A-24, P-400, and early models of the B-17 and B-26 were quite active in the first year of the war in the Southwest Pacific, then disappeared, although the P-39 soldiered on into 1944.

I will make sure to keep the two of y'ouse apart in the future.

Don
Old 06-23-2015, 02:11 AM

I was surprised to see the A-24 too. I'd never even heard of it before. It's definitely made it onto the design list, as well as Lady Lode Star.

Pima always has a surprise or 2 whenever I visit.

I keep hoping when the C-5 is finally retired, one will work it's way across the road into Pima's collection.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
It was to hot at 99 deg when I was there in April...

Mike
I was there in August '88 - in my naivete, I only wore jandals/flipflops/things on my feet. At this time the bus transfer station was still out in the desert (I assume that the city has caught up with it since) and, after my visit to the Museum, I opted to walk back in to town rather than wait for the next bus. About halfway between stops, one of jandals died (broken strap) and I had to walk barefoot to the next stop on the seal. Fortunately there was a 711 by that stop and the first two cans of ice-cold Coke were for my feet...

Always planned on getting back there one day to see the new displays but I think my jetsetting days are over - was certainly worth the burnt feet to be up close and personal with the XF-107, B-58 (so small and delicate), and others...
Old 08-28-2015, 12:43 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 594.81 MB
I am currently in Scottsdale right now and I would be going to Pima on Friday but its just too far away.
I need 787 reference pictures but the museum in Seattle has a 787.

-RunwayOneSixRight (Matthew)
Google Adsense