PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 09-04-2016, 01:33 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Unhappy Ouch! Sorry that happened...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubting Thomas View Post
Dave, thanks for your concern. It stung for a few days initially but it’s healing up after two weeks. It is slightly sore when holding on to the steering wheel but no infections thank goodness.

My mom was an LVN (Licensed Vocational Nurse) so there is always a concern when breaking the skin, especially when working on cars with all the oil, dust, fluids, gasoline, etc.

I’m the youngest of four in our family and our dad felt we all should know about fixing our cars, at least how to change oil filters and tires. Lucky that my oldest brother was helping out so it wasn’t so bad. We’ve done lots of work on the six different cars we have had in our family. Brake pad replacements, tire rotations, changing the engine cylinder head gaskets, spark plugs, alternator change outs, fan belt replacements, carburetor cleanings, and basic oil changes. Cuts and scrapes happen when maintaining cars. My dad and oldest brother did a whole engine change out after our 1959 Buick Electra had a broken fuel line and caught fire. That’s another whole story in itself.

The worst thing for the two of us is when the nuts and bolts really get stuck. Sometimes the breaker bar tool just doesn’t give the needed leverage. So, my brother brought home a 2” steel conduit pipe by about 6’ long he found being tossed out at work. The pipe works great when you need to get lug nuts off when the tire stores use the pneumatic air wrench on them. It’s a bit harder when the car is on the standard jack-stands in the driveway when doing some of the other stuff. A squirt of WD-40 oil and then using what I call the “Bazooka” pipe, the nuts and bolts then yield with the wrench or socket with ease.

Jeff

I respect people working on their own cars. I recently got my car inspected for state safety & several people were waiting inside to get help to check their tire pressure.

I'm restoring two Mopars; a 67 & 62. In a town where people can't check their own air pressure, there's not a great deal of interest in such efforts!

BTW: PB Blaster is a must when a breaking bar meets resistance!

Last edited by THE DC; 09-04-2016 at 01:35 AM. Reason: hit send by error
Old 09-04-2016, 10:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Doubting Thomas, may I suggest, especially if the belt was coming through on just one side of the tread, that you have the alignment checked. That's the usual cause for that and its just going to start rapidly wearing a new tire the same way.