PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 11-29-2017, 07:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again! I'm in. Jim
Old 11-29-2017, 08:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Isaac...if you care to organize an event (anywhere/anytime) and I am free, I will consider attending.

But I am still hoping to do the Fall IPMC and Museums tour with my Daughter, so that will be my priority for 2018.
Finances are at a critical low, so I have a lot of fundraising to do for that.

If you read through the related threads, you'll see that it isn't as easy (as I thought it would be)
to organize a paper model event and get the necessary commitment.
Many people want to join in, but they choose to "wait and see" before making that final commitment.
Most don't want to be involved in the actual organization of the event.
Some have to wait until the last moment to make a decision about attending.
Some have other commitments, and a model show takes second place.

I fully understand all the responses, but it adds to the difficulty of making plans for this type of event.

In other words, you're on your own!
And theres a financial commitment that may or may not be recovered.
(This was one of my biggest restraints).
You have to be prepared to cover all the related costs and figure out the necessary fundraising.

The Hope Hotel is an excellent choice, in many ways...and its one of the more affordable options.

Unfortunately that Plastic Model show is a big show...they take up a lot of space in the Hotel.
Sure, you could rent a vendor table...if any are still available... but then you are just a vendor, in the vendors room.
You can enter paper models into competition, but they just go into the miscellaneous categories.
The organizers might allow a display table for paper models, but not all plastic modellers are as receptive.

Personally, I have no interest in competing at an IPMS event.
I was interested in a social event for paper modelers.
So, a stand alone event is the ideal option.
I don't see how you can do that at a well established Plastic meet that is already crowded.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Question The cost of it all

I would like to see if we can have additional and new participants if we hold a get together in Dayton . A display and share event, with no awards or prizes and be open to product improvements for our hobby .

Regardless of the location, people will have to travel and stay in hotel for a few nights . So basically, we are looking for more than a few hundred dollars worth of a trip . Yes, money is a huge driver in the decision process, and I'm certainly not going to stand between the participant and their money. Also, I will not subsidize the event , but if we get 20 people or so, it will be a worthwhile event. I'm willing to work it to reality.

On the plus side, this is the Aviation center of the USA ( but not the only one ) and is worthwhile location to visit .

Another option, is to piggy back onto a large hobby show half way between Cincinnati and Dayton. They will provide free tables and there are lots of other models there ( Entertrainment Junction ) . They gave me 3 tables a few years ago to display many of my paper models.

Model show-Entertrainment jucntion

Isaac
Old 11-29-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
I would like to see if we can have additional and new participants if we hold a get together in Dayton . A display and share event, with no awards or prizes and be open to product improvements for our hobby .

Regardless of the location, people will have to travel and stay in hotel for a few nights . So basically, we are looking for more than a few hundred dollars worth of a trip . Yes, money is a huge driver in the decision process, and I'm certainly not going to stand between the participant and their money. Also, I will not subsidize the event , but if we get 20 people or so, it will be a worthwhile event. I'm willing to work it to reality.

On the plus side, this is the Aviation center of the USA ( but not the only one ) and is worthwhile location to visit .

Isaac
Obviously you have not read through the thread.
or my other related threads.
All your ideas and questions are already addressed and answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Another option, is to piggy back onto a large hobby show half way between Cincinnati and Dayton. They will provide free tables and there are lots of other models there ( Entertrainment Junction ) . They gave me 3 tables a few years ago to display many of my paper models.

Model show-Entertrainment jucntion

Isaac
"Giving" you a table or two to display models, if they have the room, is one thing.
Offering to give up space and tables to an outside group promoting something different from their own group activities, is another.
Good luck with that.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:58 PM

Since you are in the area, why not ask if the USAF Museum would support/tolerate some type of club meeting/display/event there?
If the meet was themed around aviation and the Air Force...

I know they have meeting rooms and can host certain types of events.
But I think its mainly for lectures, etc.
Google Adsense
Old 11-29-2017, 02:17 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 36.49 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to bloomohio
Smile Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
Isaac...if you care to organize an event (anywhere/anytime) and I am free, I will consider attending.

But I am still hoping to do the Fall IPMC and Museums tour with my Daughter, so that will be my priority for 2018.
Finances are at a critical low, so I have a lot of fundraising to do for that.

If you read through the related threads, you'll see that it isn't as easy (as I thought it would be)
to organize a paper model event and get the necessary commitment.
Many people want to join in, but they choose to "wait and see" before making that final commitment.
Most don't want to be involved in the actual organization of the event.
Some have to wait until the last moment to make a decision about attending.
Some have other commitments, and a model show takes second place.

I fully understand all the responses, but it adds to the difficulty of making plans for this type of event.

In other words, you're on your own!
And theres a financial commitment that may or may not be recovered.
(This was one of my biggest restraints).
You have to be prepared to cover all the related costs and figure out the necessary fundraising.

The Hope Hotel is an excellent choice, in many ways...and its one of the more affordable options.

Unfortunately that Plastic Model show is a big show...they take up a lot of space in the Hotel.
Sure, you could rent a vendor table...if any are still available... but then you are just a vendor, in the vendors room.
You can enter paper models into competition, but they just go into the miscellaneous categories.
The organizers might allow a display table for paper models, but not all plastic modellers are as receptive.

Personally, I have no interest in competing at an IPMS event.
I was interested in a social event for paper modelers.
So, a stand alone event is the ideal option.
I don't see how you can do that at a well established Plastic meet that is already crowded.
Nicely said! Here! Here! a bit of england!
Old 12-17-2017, 09:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Thumbs up Conversation continued for Dayton 2018 possibilities

All

I opened up a new thread to see if we can pull of a get together in the Spring of 2018 in Dayton Ohio near the air force musum.

Dayton Ohio 2018 paper get together

I need positive comments on this new thread based on the observations and inputs provided to Dave.

Isaac