PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 12-01-2016, 03:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Caudillo View Post
Darn! I just moved to Iowa from the local area (was 23 miles south of Dayton).

(sigh)

Wait! What? You're in Davenport? Well crap on a cracker, I'm only 90 minutes from you. Hmmmm.

greg
Old 12-01-2016, 03:41 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Dave: "How is sitting with me in a bar a bad thing?"

Me: Been there. Done that. Was pretty good, especially with the Flyboy there, too.

Dogface
I was going to say the same "been there done that"! And it can be very entertaining

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 12-01-2016, 06:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 498.04 MB
I live about 90min away in columbus. If i have thevweekend free once we get closer i am in for a banquet seat and some beer. I might be up for a table too.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
2018 I might be able to make it, a bit being able to put a little extra cash together; but more just the planning for the trip.
To follow up on someone's comments about downtown hotels. I went to a couple of model car events in Dayton in the late 80's and stayed at a downtown hotel one year. Wish I'd had a flak jacket and was really happy to see my rental car there and on all 4 tires in the mornings.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Guys

First of all, none of the other towns around Dayton ( like Xenia, Lima, Springfield ... ) have commercial flights. Those are general aviation airport. Secondly, what is the point of meeting in a remote location that is cheaper? You will spend more getting around and renting cars than the cost of staying close.

Also, The USAF museum is not in the downtown Dayton and hotels are less expensive outside the city center. You want to be where the action is and not waste time traveling in cars or taxis.

Isaac
My plan is to fly into Xenia, rent a car and travel to the museum. Don't plan on a commercial flight to Dayton.

Was looking for hotels between Xenia and the museum, which is less than 15-miles travel distance. In my post I actually show the location of the museum on 1100 Spaatz. One of the hotels is across the street from the museum.

I don't want to go downtown Dayton, but will if that is where this might be held at.

Dave, I will commit to the $125. Even if I can't make it this year. Almost a positive I can make it though this year. Probably not next year.

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 12-06-2016, 09:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
My plan is to fly into Xenia, rent a car and travel to the museum. Don't plan on a commercial flight to Dayton.

Was looking for hotels between Xenia and the museum, which is less than 15-miles travel distance. In my post I actually show the location of the museum on 1100 Spaatz. One of the hotels is across the street from the museum.

I don't want to go downtown Dayton, but will if that is where this might be held at.

Dave, I will commit to the $125. Even if I can't make it this year. Almost a positive I can make it though this year. Probably not next year.

Mike
Mike

So you have a private jet? Xenia is a small general aviation airport. There are no commercial flight there unless you charter your own plane or have one

Isaac
Old 12-07-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Mike

So you have a private jet? Xenia is a small general aviation airport. There are no commercial flight there unless you charter your own plane or have one

Isaac
In the process of buying a Vans RV-6. Plan to fly it up to Alaska in the spring, before I do, will visit friends and relatives in different places.

Dayton will be one of the stops. Always wanted to visit the museum.

Mike
Old 12-07-2016, 09:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
In the process of buying a Vans RV-6. Plan to fly it up to Alaska in the spring, before I do, will visit friends and relatives in different places.

Dayton will be one of the stops. Always wanted to visit the museum.

Mike
Sounds like fun. You may also want to consider Dayton Wright brothers airport. Just south of Dayton.

Isaac
Old 12-07-2016, 10:34 PM

Yep, was planning a short stop there as well. Found it first, but decided didn't want to drive through or around Dayton if I don't have to.

Mike
Old 12-09-2016, 09:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
I will try to attend if the Dayton area meeting is scheduled.
Actually, the first paper model conventions were in Miamisberg, a Dayton suburb.
Dayton is not hard to get around, even the rush hour is not too bad.
After the paper model convention the Air Force Museum is a must see, there is an armor museum in Anderson, Indiana, Motts Military Museum in Groveport, a small but interesting veteran's museum in Germantown (Veterans Museum is a jewel in Germantown) which I highly recommend, the The Wright Cycle Company Complex/Aviation Heritage Foundation in Dayton, a lot of other Wright Brothers sites scattered around the area, and the Waco Museum (www.wacoairmuseum.org) in Troy.
There is antique shopping for your wife in Waynesville and Lebanon.
The village of Yellow Springs (Yellow Springs, Ohio) is an interesting place to wander around in , has a large forested park on the edge of the village for hiking (the springs are really a bright orange), and many places to eat from good and cheap to suburb and expensive.
There are lots of hotels along the i75 corridor and some along the 675 loop near the malls.
Mendelsons (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrbQtrp4hGA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T5Rx4ra6P4 ) near downtown is a giant warehouse filled with electronic, industrial and consumer surplus.
And finally, saving the best for last, Marco's Paper (https://www.marcopaper.com/) on Whipp Road in Centerville, has a huge stock of papers and paper tools, and you do not have to buy an entire ream, you can purchase papers by the sheet.
Google Adsense