PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 11-24-2016, 11:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Little yellow amphib in Mariner shot looks like Grumman Widgeon with altered hull shape.
Edit: found Pima's page on it which has picture which shows that it is, but I'm not seeing explanation, http://www.pimaair.org/aircraft-by-n...-j4f-2-widgeon
Edit 2: found,
Quote:
"One of the more interesting projects in which a Widgeon (J4F-2) was involved was its utilization to test increased hydrodynamic and aerodynamic elongated flying boat hulls. The Navy, in cooperation with the NACA, sponsored water and flight tests in which the entire lower hull of the J4F-2 was cut away and various newly designed hulls of high length to beam ratios were tested. The Edo Float Corp. undertook the initial trials at College Point, L.I. shortly after WW II. The purpose was to test proposed hulls for larger flying boats then in the design stages, such as the P5M "Marlin" and P6M "Seamaster". Various hulls could be removed and different ones bolted on. One hull had a length/beam ratio of 12.5 to 1 and was successfully tested in the air and on the water with the Widgeon nicknamed the "Petulant Porpoise.""
Grumman Widgeon, March 1967 American Modeler - Airplanes and Rockets
Old 11-25-2016, 09:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Hey Murph! We're staying in Green Valley this year for T-day. I was contemplating a visit to the museum. Might miss it this year. Thanks for the pictures!
Old 11-25-2016, 07:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestforests View Post
Little yellow amphib in Mariner shot looks like Grumman Widgeon with altered hull shape.
Edit: found Pima's page on it which has picture which shows that it is, but I'm not seeing explanation, http://www.pimaair.org/aircraft-by-n...-j4f-2-widgeon
Edit 2: found,
Grumman Widgeon, March 1967 American Modeler - Airplanes and Rockets
I didn't take any pictures, but they also have a second lower hull on display against the wall behind the Widgeon. For years I wondered what it was. It was bright yellow, and looked too big to be a pontoon, except maybe for a C-47, but it was open topped. This trip, they finally put up a sign explaining what it was: a test hull for the Widgeon.

I was just thinking back to the first time I went there, when they had 1 hanger, the XJL-1 and SR-71 were still outside, and you could climb up and look inside the cockpits of the SR-71,