PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 09-05-2017, 09:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
My current plan is to be there. In person. For real, this year with my annual endowed prize for the silk purse from sow's ear award personally delivered.

Now just need to figure out what to bring for display...14 hour drive time from Iowa to back East plus available cargo space may equal limited amount of stuff to display.

greg
Old 09-05-2017, 01:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is very good news, indeed!

I humbly suggest tanks and tankers of all kinds

Don
Old 09-07-2017, 10:32 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
It looks like I will watching from the sidelines this year.
I contacted the professor to ask if the weekend might be clear of any assignments that might be due, and in true professor speak, he says there might be.

So more than likely I will be forced to miss the 20th Anniversary/Installment of IPMC.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 09-07-2017, 01:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
wow...too many people cancelling this one.
not fair to those of you that will still be attending, but life does get in the way.

just a thought...would it make sense to postpone the 20th meeting until next year?
Old 09-07-2017, 02:17 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
technically they could, in 2008 we didn't have one because the hotel we held it at in the previous years, switched brands and cancelled all reservations in order to renovate that hotel, and we didn't have enough time to look for an alternate venue
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 09-07-2017, 02:35 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
No need to postpone it. Still alot of folks who will be there.
Next year will be just that much better when we all can make it!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 09-07-2017, 06:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
Agreed. I would be sadly disappointed if the show didn't go on!
Old 09-07-2017, 07:26 PM

The show must go on! For one thing, I have almost completed my 20th Anniversary commemorative tank model.

Don
Old 09-08-2017, 08:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
This is very good news, indeed!

I humbly suggest tanks and tankers of all kinds

Don
Well of course I'll have some tanks....that's a given.

I just thought of something that may be helpful in choosing the winner for my endowed award (especially if I get to help judge that one in person this year). It would be helpful to know both the publisher AND the designer of the subject models for potentially eligible models.

So if you are attending and bringing something that challenged your skills and vocabulary because of poor fit, paper quality, color matching, etc. make sure you try to identify publisher and designer to provide some helpful background info.

For those new to what this award is: It is one I proposed and have provided the prize for during the last couple conventions.

It is to celebrate the modeler's skill in overcoming a poor kit's issues to build the model to an outstanding level. While some may think that an old Maly kit printed on rag stock and designed by a guy named Bohdan may have a lock on this award, this is not the case. I know of other publisher/designer combos that have produced equally challenging models of questionable design, incomprehensible instructions, mislabeled or missing parts, etc. (a certain MAZ project comes to mind - I like the designer but question the execution and published result).

greg
Old 09-08-2017, 08:37 AM

A reminder of the Awards Rules of Engagement

With the annual Greg Perry Award highlighted.

INTERNATIONAL PAPER MODELERS' CONVENTION (IPMC) 2017 AWARDS

INTENT: The primary purpose of the International Paper Modelers' Convention is the enjoyment and promotion of the art and craft of paper model design and building; the sharing of wisdom, tips, and techniques; the trading of stories about the craft and its artisans; and the sharing of camaraderie and good fellowship. Awards are bestowed in that spirit.

Awards will be made in the following categories:

PEOPLE'S CHOICE: The People’s Choice Award will be presented to the model voted "best" by all of the visitors and participants. A small card with a number printed on it will be placed by each model. Every person who walks through the door will be given a ballot to register an opinion as to the model they think is best by whatever criteria they choose. The model with the most votes wins.

THEME CATEGORY - TANKS AND TANKERS: George S. Patton, Jr.; SS Pendleton; the Renault FT; Esso gasoline trucks; the 20-mule-team borax wagon; a jail holding cell for miscreants; the briefing room of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff; and the Pearl Harbor oil facility: all “tanks and tankers.” Use your imagination to come up with an innovative model or set of models that fit this broad definition. The Awards Committee has the final say on what constitutes a “tank” or “tanker.”

BEST TABLE DISPLAY: Prizes will be awarded on the basis of eye appeal, enhancement of the appearance of the models displayed, and overall impression.

MOST UNUSUAL MODEL: Eye appeal and artisanship count, of course, but this one is entirely subjective, and one award, with one prize, will be determined by the sempiternal and inscrutable Awards Committee.

GREG PERRY SILK PURSE OUT OF A SOW’S EAR AWARD: Endowed by Greg Perry. One award to the best build of a "bad" kit. “Bad” meaning poor paper, ill-fitting parts, and other challenges.

AWARDS COMMITTEE SPECIAL AWARDS (ACSAs): The Awards Committee will make a number of awards for categories to be announced at the time of the awards ceremony. These awards are intended to recognize contributions to the paper modeling craft and to the IPMC, leavened by good humor and fellowship.

DON BOOSE, ANNE MCCOMBS, RICK STEFFERS, LIL BOOSE
and ALAN WHEELER (EMERITUS) - IPMC 2017 AWARDS COMMITTEE
Google Adsense