PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 03-01-2017, 07:20 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I'm looking forward to seeing you all again. I've got a big ol' box card board ready to fill with models. If the weather's not terrible, I'll be there.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Sorry you can't make this one, Greg, especially since you are plankholder of the Paper Modelers at USAHEC gang.

Mike - I will be sending out the latest update today. As Rick says, we definitely encourage you to build during the day. Our goal is to demonstrate the craft as well as display models.

Bob - We'll be hoping you will find a way to make it.

Don - I have my fingers crossed on the weather. Pennsylvania weather is historically mild at the end of March, but I can't speak for New York.

As of today, Peter Ansoff, Mike Bauer and his son, Thomas and Kathleen Clay, Jack Colin, John Dell, John (DRLaser) and Rose Glessner , Roger Griffith, Linda Kemp, Anne and Jack McCombs, Ann and Doug Mcmillin, Caedan Moffett, Ted Schnitzler (CMDRTED), Kevin Stephens, Don Weeks (rockpaperscissors), Rich Schindler, Rick Steffers, and Lil and I will be participating. Rick and Kevin and I (and whoever shows up early) will be doing the set up on Friday, 31 March from 2:00 to 4:45 (1400-1645, USAHEC Time) and will then retire to the Café Bruges to enjoy the Food of Rick's People. Mike and his son may be able to join us.

Participants can bring in their models via the back entrance to the USAHEC Visitor and Education Center from 0830 to 1000 on Saturday, 1 April. The event will be open to the public from 1000 to 4:30 PM. In the evening, we will have the traditional dinner at the Carlisle Thai Cuisine.

If you are in the Carlisle area on that day, please come by to see us and identify yourself as a member of the Papermodelers' Forum. If you want to display models, please send me a PM and I will put you on the email list and send you maps and info on local hotels.

Info here: USAHEC Incidentally, the Huey DUSTOFF model portrayed on the announcement is by rockpaperscissors and the M4 Sherman tank is by Kevin Stephens.

Paper beats rock every time.

Don
Old 03-21-2017, 09:40 AM

The 1 April “Military History Through Paper Modeling” Event is less than two weeks away.

USAHEC

As of now, Peter Ansoff, Mike and Chris Bauer, Don and Lil Boose, Thomas and Kathleen Clay, Jack Colin, John Dell, John and Rose Glessner (DRLaser), Roger Griffith, Linda Kemp, Anne and Jack McCombs, Ann and Doug Mcmillin, Caedan Moffett, Ted Schnitzler (CMDRTED), Kevin Stephens, Don Weeks (rockpaperscissors) and Mark Norman, and Rick Steffers will be displaying models.

If you will be in the Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA, area on that date, please stop by to see us and identify yourself as a member of the forum.

If you would like to participate, please send me a PM with your email address so I can send you details, maps, and a list of lodging in the Carlisle area.

The USAHEC cafeteria (The Cumberland Café) will be open during our event, so you will be able to get soup, sandwiches, and other light fare. If you visit us, please also visit the Soldier Experience Gallery (interactive exhibits of American Soldier life from 1898 to today, including a hybrid Renault FT/Six-ton tank); the other exhibits in the building; the Gift Shop and used book sale; and the Army Heritage Trail (USAHEC Exhibits)

We hope to see many of you there.

Don
Old 04-02-2017, 06:39 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
I will leave the reporting duties to the Colonel, but I wanted to share one of the pictures taken by Jack Colin during our dinner at the Carlisle Thai Restaurant.

from Right to Left we have:
Rose and John Glessner
Don and Lil Boose
yours truly with the glass to my mouth
Kevin Stephenson
Mark Newton(plastic armor modeler)
hidden behind Mark, Jack McCombs
Anne McCombs
Don Weeks
Peter Ansoff
Linda Kemp
Thomas Clay and Kathleen O'Day

and Jack would be sitting between Lil and myself, but he just learned how to take a panorama picture(by me) so he had to try it

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-17545251_908482102628158_4416906787438975835_o.jpg  
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 04-02-2017, 08:27 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Man I wanted to be there!!! But, as it happens, life gets in the way of having a good time. I did wave as I flew over enroute from JFK to Charlotte. I did indeed fly right over Carlisle on my way down, didn't you see me waving?
Maybe next year? I can only hope.
Hope you had a good day.
Google Adsense
Old 04-02-2017, 08:51 PM

We had a great time, with over 300 visitors.

Unfortunately, due to camera problems, most of my photographs did not turn out. I have a few that will give some flavor of the event.

I hope that some other participants took some photos that they are willing to share.

Not everyone cold make the Thai dinner. Roger Griffiths, Ann and Doug McMillin of Carlisle, and 8-year-old Caedan Moffat of Carlisle also participated and I have some images of them, as well as of the setting up and a few images taken during the event.

Will post such images as I have tomorrow.

Don
Old 04-03-2017, 05:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Don,

Glad you had a great time as usual. Hope to make it next year.

Bob
Old 04-03-2017, 12:03 PM

Images of the Set Up

Here are a few images from the 1 April “Military History through Paper Modeling Event.”

The first set of images were taken during the setting up before the exhibit was open to the public.

1 and 2. Linda Kemp sets out her miniature houses.

3. Roger Griffiths and Rick Steffers. Jack Colin in the background, walking toward his table.

4. Peter Ansoff makes a few adjustments.

5. Rev. Thomas Davies Clay’s array of cathedrals. He brought from his large collection models of cathedrals damaged or destroyed in war. When completely set up, there was a photograph of the war-damaged structure and explanatory information in front of each model.

6. Princess. The star of the show. In 2010, Kevin Stephens built this John Dell-designed model of B-24D-10-CF, “Princess,” serial 42-63962, which was an aircraft of the 506th Bomb Squadron, 44th Bomb Group, flying out of Shipdham, England, except for temporary duty from June to November 1943, when they were transferred to North Africa to participate in the Ploesti missions. He brought it to our Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days event that year and was astonished to find that the veterans of the 44th Bomb Group were having a reunion at the same event.
Kevin asked them all to sign the airplane, then he donated it to the USAHEC. It is now kept in a climate controlled room and brought out for special occasions. Neither John Dell, who designed it, nor Kevin, who built it, are now allowed to touch the model. You can see the 44th BG vets signing the model here: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/122585-post79.html

7. Princess’s companions: Part of John Dell’s array of 1/72 and 1/48 Flying Fortresses. The two lead aircraft in natural metal finish are models of B-17D Flying Fortress Serial Number 40-3095 Tail 61/11B. It was flown out to the Philippines on 5 September 1941 by Captain Colin Kelly, who would later be killed in another aircraft when he stayed at the controls to allow all his crew to escape. The Japanese later captured the aircraft at Clark Field and rturned it to flying condition. The larger model is the 1/48 version in the m
arkings it carried when flown to the Philippines; the smaller one is a 1/72 version in Japanese markings. Every one of John’s models has a story.

8. Kevin Stephens’s table ready for the public. Kevin’s magnificent Dragon Wagon is almost complete, and was another star of the show.

9. Anne McCombs’s table almost ready for the public. The upside-down Fiddlers Green SB2C Helldiver just had its undercarriage repaired and the glue is drying. Anne’s last project at her day job (aircraft restorer at the National Air and Space Museum) was a full-sized Helldiver. Now she is working on the WWII Martin B-26 Marauder “Flak Bait.” The Russian Renault FT in bilious green and light eggplant is the one dive bombed by a pigeon last year at Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days (when we also got rained on, having set up under a leak in the roof). The SB2C is on top of the GPM Sherman tank Anne is currently working on in preparation for the next Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days, 21-22 May 2017, for which the theme is TANKS!

I will post more images of the event later

Don
Attached Thumbnails
1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401_01_lindakemp.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401_02_lindakemp.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401_03_roger-rick.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401_04_peter.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401_05_thomas.jpg  

1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401_06_princess.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401_07_johndell.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401_08_kevinstephens.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401_09_anne-mccombs.jpg  
Old 04-03-2017, 12:28 PM

More Set Up Shots

1. John Glessner (DrLaser) assembling his amazing bee hive display of 1/72 aircraft. It is appropriate that the poster for Buzz Aldrin’s USAHEC lecture was hanging over his table.

2. Jack Colin brought a lot of fine models of a wide variety: The battleship Arizona, zeppelins, Spanish galleons, fire arms, science fiction models, and many more.

4, 5, and 6 are my tables, including Lil and her cats.

7. The handout table. At various times, we had models from Dave Winfield, Paper Tiger Armaments, Design Group Alpha, and Fiddlers Green. Many thanks to Dave; Cliff Button; John Bowden, Jim Gausman, and Guido Van Roy; and Scott Fyn for permission to reproduce and distribute their models. We also had a handout with websites of these designers and other useful sources of paper models.

More images soon.

Don

Attached Thumbnails
1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401a_01_drlaser.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401a_02_jackcolin.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401a_03_john-dell.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401a_04_don-lil_boose.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401a_05_don-lil_boose.jpg  

1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401a_06_lil_boose.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401a_07_handouts.jpg  
Old 04-03-2017, 02:05 PM

The Rest of My Images

Don

A few more images. Unfortunately, most of my snapshots turned out blurred. These are the most usable ones. I hope that other participants in the event also took photographs and that they are better than mine.

1, 2, 3, and 4. John Glessner’s exhibit, including some works-in-progress, one of which involves his famous biplane rigging methodology. His entire tool kit can be seen in Image 2. Incidentally, a year ago, John came to visit and redesigned the Fiddlers Green P-40B. I have been working on the beta build ever since and was relieved to see that John hasn’t finished his, either (Image 2).

5. Rockpaperscissor (Don Weeks) at his table. We were able to get a close-up view of his recently-built 1/50 20/25tp Polish concept tank. http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/armory/38208-1-50-20-25tp.html Don was accompanied by Mark Norman, who leads their local chapter of the Armor Modeling & Preservation Society.

6 and 7. Roger Griffiths brought his magnificent 2001 Space Odyssey space station model (People’s Choice Winner at last year’s International Paper Modelers’ Convention) and, specifically for this event, was working on a German Panther tank model.

8. Caedan Moffett (black shirt on the left) was our youngest and newest exhibitor. His dad is stationed at Carlisle Barracks. He has demonstrated to his friends and to young (and older) visitors that paper modeling is a great pastime. He also helped out at the Make and Take table. I was impressed by his model of the TOG-II tank.

9. Ann McMillan, her daughter, Gracy, and her husband, Doug, exhibited for the first time. Ann is a Carlisle resident who fell in love with paper modeling after attending one of our Paper Models at Army Heritage Days event. Their family exhibit included a variety of different models. Here, Gracy and Ann talk with Rose Glessner and one of the visitors.

10. Peter explains paper modeling to a local veteran.

11. Linda Kemp also shares some of the secrets of our arcane craft.

12. Anne McCombs (shown here), Peter Ansoff, Caedan Moffett, Gracy McMillin, Lil Boose, and I put in stints at the Make and Take table, which was so popular that we had to add a table.

13. Gracy McMillin and I encourage Jonathan as he builds a lighthouse. He had an uncanny ability to cut out perfect circles with scissors (shades of Greg Perry!). I predict a bright future in paper modeling for him. His dad, Joel, shown here admiring his recently-completed school bus model; and mother, Jennifer (hidden behind Joel), both also made models at the M&T, while sister, Rebecca (stylish pink shoes visible on the left), helped mom with her paper penguin.

14. Jack Colin explains something to Rick Steffers. Roger Griffiths’ display left behind Rick; Ann McMillin to the right.

15. Rick does not appear to be convinced. They continued the conversation later over plates of Ultra-Hot-Chili Seafood Lover’s Special and Evil Jungle Princess at the Carlisle Thai Cuisine.

16. Jack’s display.

17. Don Weeks and Kevin Stephens.

18. John Dell talks to a retired USAF colonel who flew C-123s and C-130s in Vietnam. In the background, John Glessner talks with a Boy Scout. We had a large crowd of Scouts whom I did not, unfortunately, capture with my camera. At this point (around 1530 in the afternoon), the crowd was thinning out, but the USAHEC front desk sentry counted 300 people coming in to see us.

19. Kathleen Di Crocco of Carlisle Barracks talks with Thomas Clay and his wife, Kathleen O’Day.

These are all the images I have. Perhaps others will contribute some.

It was a very enjoyable event for all of us. Paper modelers have been exhibiting at USAHEC since 2009 (Rick Steffers, Kevin Stephens, Greg Parry, and I are the plank holders). The next event will be in May when we will exhibit on 21-22 May at the annual Army Heritage Days. http://ahec.armywarcollege.edu/armyheritagedays/index.cfm

We hope to see you there.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401b_01_drlaser.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401b_02_drlaser.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401b_03_drlaser.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401b_04_drlaser.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401b_05_rockpaperscissors.jpg  

1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401b_06_roger-griffiths.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401b_07_roger-griffiths.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401b_08_caedanmoffett.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401b_09_annmcmillin.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401b_10_peter.jpg  

1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401b_11_linda.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401b_12_mandt.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401b_13_mandt.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401b_14_jack-rick.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401b_15_jack-rick.jpg  

1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401b_16_jackcolin.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401b_17_rps-kevin.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401b_18_johndell.jpg   1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center-usahec_170401b_19_katherine-thomas-kathleen.jpg  
Google Adsense