PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 02-13-2017, 10:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center

The U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC) in Carlisle has invited paper modelers to exhibit models and to describe and demonstrate the craft, on Saturday, 1 April 2017, from 10:30 AM to 4:00 PM.

This is the USAHEC web site: USAHEC Home

And here is the announcement of the event: http://www.carlisle.army.mil/ahec/newsarticle.cfm?id=341

The official press release is below.

This will be similar to the event that we put on in 2013: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/museums-air-shows-events-get-togethers/23274-9-march-carlisle-army-heritage-education-center-paper-modelers-event.html

Unlike the annual Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days, on 1 April we will be the only show at USAHEC, with plenty of room to display our models. The theme of the event is “Military History through Paper Modeling.” There is no entry or table fee. First priority for display are models of U.S. Army vehicles, aircraft, and equipment. Next priority are models of military and naval ships, aircraft, vehicles, weapons, and equipment. Other models are also welcome in order to show off the range and flexibility of paper modeling.

At present, Rick Steffers, Peter Ansoff, Thomas and Kathleen Clay, John Dell, Ted Schnitzler (CMDRTED), Kevin Stephens, Don Weeks (rockpaperscissors), John and Rose Glessner (DRLaser), Anne and Jack McCombs, Ann and Doug Mcmillin, Caedan Moffett, Rich Schindler, Roger Griffith, Jack Colin, and Lil and I plan to participate.

Thanks to Dave Winfield (airdave), Paper Tiger Armaments, Design Group Alpha, Fiddlers Green, ECardmodels, Camille Morin (Camy), and LBirds.com for their support of this event.

If you are interested in participating, please send me a private message. I will provide additional information and a list of hotels/motels in the Carlisle area: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=257

Don

DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY
UNITED STATES ARMY HERITAGE AND EDUCATION CENTER
CARLISLE, PENNSYLVANIA 17013-5021

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Point Of Contact: Lindsay Strehl, 717-245-4427, [email protected]

Craft your own military vehicles and equipment at the USAHEC’s Military History through Paper Modeling Event!

Whether it’s a miniature of a favorite classic tank like the Renault FT, or a model of a P-51 Mustang airplane, an aircraft carrier like the U.S.S. Nimitz, or even the Civil War-era submarine, the Hunley, models have long captured the interests of children and adults alike. Paper modeling, in particular, provides almost anyone with an introduction and access to an exciting world of miniatures. An intricate and meticulous pastime, paper model building has become a popular art that includes almost any subject, especially military vehicles and crafts. What better way to learn more about paper modeling and military history, than at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center’s (USAHEC), Military History through Paper Modeling Event on Saturday, April 1, 2017, from 10:30AM – 4:00PM? Come out to the USAHEC in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, to learn more about the amazingly detailed craft of military paper modeling, and maybe even create some of your own!

The Military History through Paper Modeling Event will feature lectures on the art of papercraft, dozens of paper modelers and displays of their art, and a hands-on “make and take” table for future paper modelers of all skill levels. An introductory lecture and demonstration will kick off the event, and the rest of the day will be open to guests to visit the various paper modeling tables. Military vehicles and crafts, such as Sherman Tanks, Huey helicopters, and M23 Tank Transporters or “Dragon Wagons” will be featured. Be sure to check out all of these amazing replicas, which are created using only printed paper and prodigious skill. Don’t forget to try your own hand at creating some of these masterpieces at the “make and take” table, where modelers of all genres will be handing out sample modeling patterns.

The last of the USAHEC’s Winter History Program Series, this event is not one to miss! After exploring the event, feel free to learn more about the lives and stories of Soldiers throughout U.S. history by visiting the many exhibits featured at the USAHEC. You can also grab lunch at Café Cumberland from 10:00am to 2:00pm, or browse the book selection found at the museum bookstore. Parking is free, and the USAHEC facility is handicap accessible. For more information about the “Military History Through Paper Modeling,” event and other events, please visit our website at www.USAHEC.org.
Google Adsense
Old 02-14-2017, 11:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
I've been looking forward to this event since I first learned about it last fall.
Can't wait to see everyone.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:39 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Don can you take a ton of photos to show when you get back? I know you will. Thank you Don. wc
Old 02-15-2017, 06:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
I'm looking forward to this event too. It is good to see everyone and what they have been working on. As an added bonus, I'll see everyone again a month later for the Armed Forces Day event.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi Don,

PM sent.

Weather will be a big factor on me making it.

Will be a one way = 1973 miles further East than I have planned on, Phoenix to Carlisle. Translates into about 5-complete fuel tank loads at 38-gallon each for the RT.

What kind of weather normally around this time?

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 02-15-2017, 11:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
John - Will take lots of pictures. Wish you could be here.

Kevin - You, Rick, and Greg are the plank holders of the Paper Modelers at USAHEC events. I'm sure the Exhibits warriors will bring Princess out for the show. Wish Greg could be here. We could have three Shermans on display!

John - Your array of B-24s and B-17s and your Boeing TWA 307 will be stars of the show, with plenty of room to display them.

Mike - Response to your PM is on the way. Sure hope you can make it! Weather is variable at that time of the year, but usually temperate. The Carlisle Airport folks can give you pukka gen.

Don
Old 02-15-2017, 11:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
John - Will take lots of pictures. Wish you could be here.

Kevin - You, Rick, and Greg are the plank holders of the Paper Modelers at USAHEC events. I'm sure the Exhibits warriors will bring Princess out for the show. Wish Greg could be here. We could have three Shermans on display!
Thought about it, but I need to be in Wichita the following week for business, then the following weekend is my first of two annual contests I attend. This one in Des Moines. Too much travel, within too little time.

I am in the early stages of considering Army Heritage Days this year, or I may just wait until IPMC to travel back east.

Again too many choices/decisions...

greg
Old 02-28-2017, 11:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi Don,

Is this just a display, or will models be constructed as well?

I ask because I won't have much room to bring built models, but could print out a couple to build while there. A small tool kit and some flat pieces will be easier to bring.

Mike
Old 02-28-2017, 11:52 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Mike,

Yes, do bring whatever models you want to build while there, more than likely we will have extra tables, and people will mill around and you could demo building the model

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 03-01-2017, 06:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Don,

I was hoping to finally make it this year but now not sure caretaking duties on the weekends. Will see.

Bob
Google Adsense