PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 04-30-2017, 07:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
NoVa Model Classic 2017

The Northern Virginia Modelers Model Classic 2017 show is now in the books, and as in years past, the IPMS plastic modelers were welcoming to our paper model display, in a prime location in the main hall leading to the competition / display area. The event was held at Fairfax (Virginia, USA) High School on Saturday, April 29, 2017. Four of us set up on five tables, so we had plenty of room. I (Anne McCombs) took point with my usual miscellany of subjects and scales, plus encouraging people to take some info sheets plus a sample F-86 Sabre jet (courtesy of Scott Fyn and Fiddlers Green). John Glessner (Dr. Laser) was next with his "Tower of Terror" displays of aircraft, tanks, Lara Croft heading into danger, and the ever-popular Canon Cat. He was followed by Peter Ansoff with an assortment of large models, and Thomas Davies Clay with a few of his collection of cathedrals large and small. Herewith, a series of pictures. I'm afraid I didn't get thorough pictorial coverage -- John deserved better from me in particular -- but there's enough here to give some idea.
Attached Thumbnails
NoVa Model Classic 2017-gedc0947.jpg   NoVa Model Classic 2017-gedc0948.jpg   NoVa Model Classic 2017-gedc0949.jpg   NoVa Model Classic 2017-gedc0950.jpg   NoVa Model Classic 2017-gedc0951.jpg  

NoVa Model Classic 2017-gedc0952.jpg   NoVa Model Classic 2017-gedc0953.jpg   NoVa Model Classic 2017-gedc0954.jpg   NoVa Model Classic 2017-gedc0955.jpg   NoVa Model Classic 2017-gedc0956.jpg  

NoVa Model Classic 2017-gedc0957.jpg  

Last edited by Amccombs3; 04-30-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 04-30-2017, 07:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
A few remarks on the pictures: the first shows Thomas Davies Clay with his cathedrals. Second through fifth are of Peter Ansoff and his models. Sixth and seventh are of John Glessner and his display, and eighth through tenth are mine, including my growing collection of Bruno's Planes in 1:300 scale. Last is this year's free sample, which was (as always) quite popular. Don Boose will be pleased to know that there were some leftovers for the May event in Carlisle, however.

The show organizers were diligent about reminding visitors not to touch models and most people were very good about it, but I was astonished at the number of adults that touched my models without asking first. The F-86 was an exception, since (as the picture shows) I had granted explicit permission to handle it. Fortunately, most of my animal models are fairly sturdy, since a few people seemed compelled to pet them. I did have to gently warn one person away from one of the Brunos though; they are a little more delicate.

The show itself is a major plastic modeling event, with superb competition models, though my impression was that there might have been fewer competitors than in years past. This was made up for by the large number of vendors -- at one point the show announcer said that the show was the best hobby shop in the world for that one day, and he was probably right. I didn't get any pictures of the non-paper part of the show, but it will be well covered in the plastic-modeling press, I suspect.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Very nice display and welcome from the organizers.
So many people seem compelled to touch paper models. Mostly because they are amazed that the models are actually made from paper.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:11 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Looks like a good time was had. Impressive displays.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great images, Anne! The USAF C-130 looks good with its Bruno Buddies.

Wish I could have been there. Look forward to seeing you 20-21 May at the Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days event.

Don
Google Adsense