PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 07-19-2017, 10:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
2017 Kaiser Frazer Owners Club National Convention Prescott AZ

Perfect timing: same week as my birthday, wildfire out and 20 degrees cooler then Phoenix area. Nice turnout considering it was an alternate venue. Original it was going to be in Sacramento were it had been planned for over a year. Then early this year one of the members over there found out the hotel had been sold and was in the middle of being bulldozed for an office complex. Some quick shuffling and the Prescott location was obtained. 48 Frazer hood, 51 Frazer, 52 Kaiser Manhattan, 53 Henry J, and 1954 Darrin Sports Car. The 52 was what I used to own, mine was all over blue satin metallic (the roof color on this one). Was the blue Stockholm seat covers and brown dinosaur grain dash. This one is a 3 sp manual, I had the 4 sp Hydromatic. Also mine was a Long Beach, CA assembled car so radio antennae was on lf ft fender. This one is much better shape then mine was. Regret selling it since I had it 30 years, but as the saying, 'you gotta do, what you gotta'.

https://whulsey.smugmug.com/Cars/201...t-AZ/i-fcgtbRC
Attached Thumbnails
2017 Kaiser Frazer Owners Club National Convention Prescott AZ-frazer-201948-20hood-20ft-xl.jpg   2017 Kaiser Frazer Owners Club National Convention Prescott AZ-kaiser-201952-20allstate-20ft-20lf-l.jpg   2017 Kaiser Frazer Owners Club National Convention Prescott AZ-kaiser-201952-20manhattan-20ft-20lf-l.jpg   2017 Kaiser Frazer Owners Club National Convention Prescott AZ-kaiser-20henry-20j-20corsair-20ft-20lf-l.jpg   2017 Kaiser Frazer Owners Club National Convention Prescott AZ-kaiser-201954-20darrin-20sports-20car-20side-20lf-l.jpg  

Last edited by whulsey; 07-19-2017 at 10:18 PM. Reason: add link, doh
Google Adsense
Old 07-20-2017, 05:41 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Those were some very cool cars.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I've always been fascinated by this family of cars. One of our neighbors owned a Kaiser in the early 50s, and it stood out among the other Fords and Chevies and the occasional Olds (us) and Mercury. My Dad always called it the "Kaiser-Fraser down the street."

Thanks for these sharp images, Wayne!

Don
Old 07-20-2017, 07:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 34.74 MB
someone should make a paper model with that it would look nice on paper

there is no paper model of that on the whole internet so someone should make one!
Old 07-20-2017, 03:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
Dad had one in maroon. 49 or 50. Probably a Deluxe. I was a mere sprout. It is the first family car that I remember. We had it a long time and Dad racked up a lot of speeding tickets. Finally it burned up in front of the barber shop. Following was a long string of Ford Custom, Galaxy, XL and Thunderbirds. But that Kaiser was the car that Dad always talked about. Kaiser had a big positive image because of WWII. And it was one of the first cars on the market after the war that wasn't a prewar rerun.
Google Adsense
Old 07-20-2017, 04:52 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 3.69 GB
My first car was a '52 Henry J. I put on Studebaker full disc hub caps and headlight rims and lowering blocks. Fun car for a young teenager. I remember I was paying 24 cents a gallon
in a 55 gallon drum, got 24 miles a gallon (4 cylinder F head Jeep engine) and it weighed
24 hundred pounds.
Wish I had it.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
My second car was a 1953 Kaiser Manhattan.
The fuel pump had a lot of trouble with vapor lock.
Years later I learned that I should have carried water with me to pour over the fuel pump.
Some owners attached spring clips to the fuel line to act as a radiator.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:17 PM

Zakopious,

That was a problem I had with my 52, was pretty common. A few metal clips on the fuel line usually cured it. They never overheated if the radiator was in good shape.

Other problem as they (and parts) got older was getting dead spots in the armature in the starter. But you soon learned to pop the band on the front of the starter body and with a screwdriver move the armature a bit, or roll start the car. Even the automatics could do that, since the GM 4speed Hydramatic they used had a rear pump that would build up pressure from the driveshaft turning it and you could drop it in low 2 and it'd fire off at about 6mph. One job I worked had an old Clark forklift. I told them let me take a look. It had basically the 4 cylinder version of the Kaiser Continental engine, rocked the armature, hit the starter button and it fires off. My 1st week there so was the hero of the day.

And there isn't any good models. Revell does a drag version HJ, there was an old Premier kit of the Darrin (real simple, not real accurate), and Banthrico did some pot metal bank promos that a couple were repopped in resin maybe 30 years ago. There is a real nice die cast of the Darrin in 1/24 available now, but its 300 and up depending on version.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
That Darrin is amazing.
But I bet its ridiculously hard to get in and out of!!
Old 07-20-2017, 08:59 PM

Several people have commented about that. A regular Darrin roadster is hard enough since you have to sit down side ways in the seat then pull your legs in and tuck them under the wheel and that's without a roof.
Google Adsense