PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 01-01-2018, 11:10 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
A few more details

Several interesting points about the underside of the saucer in pic 1:

-Note the extended tube from the main sensor globe, with the red tip,

- the detail ring of the housing connecting the sensor done to the platform,

-the yellow-tan rings that fan out around the lower saucer section,

-the yellow and then dark gray bays,

-the pronounced ridge leading to what are referred to a subspace antennae or as sensor rays,

-The underside white running lights, below where the navigational beacons rest on the upper hull

-the forward, rectangular hull bay,

-the very light concentric rings extending outward under the hull.

2nd pic shows the relationship of the starboard running lights, green atop and white below [note the red glow of the two bulbs extending out of the sides of the bridge

3rd pic of the lit sensor dome [called main sensor or in other prints interplanetary sensor dome] with the extended tube with the red tip.

4th of the impulse drive, with detail on the red box behind the bridge (called telescope bay on some drawings) and the turbo shaft, darker gray, behind the bridge [also note how extended those red bulbs are out of the side of the bridge]

5th is a decent shot of the lit mid-secondary hull section, illustrating modeling details:

-different shade along the front of the interconnecting dorsal,

-pennant detail,

- # 1364 under the starboard pylon,

- long window section [unlit] just past the pylon base,

- window (port) at the base of the pylon,
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-underside-saucer-mid.jpg   U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-green-white-running.jpg   U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-main-sensor-lit.jpg   U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-impulse-drive.jpg   U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-mid-secondary.jpg  

Old 01-01-2018, 11:18 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
llA done for the night...

I'll try to sort out any more that give detail [the camera was pretty weak and lighting conditions poor] but that's all for tonight. I'm knackered.

Hope some of these details spur interest to designers and builders.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-starboard-lit.jpg  
Old 01-02-2018, 03:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Dc - massive 'thank you' from me for the wonderful pics. Like Dave, life long Trek fan, this is the ship I grew up with !🖖🖖🖖
Old 01-02-2018, 01:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Thank you for posting these pics! This model is a legend. A part of history. At the right place. I'd love to see it myself.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:28 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Great series of pictures. Wish I could visit it like you did but this is a a great second choice. Thanks for going to the time and trouble of posting these pics. Wasn't aware that the saucer hadn't been restored. What was your impression of the restoration work that was done?
Google Adsense
Old 01-02-2018, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Thanks for the pictures!
This is worthwhile related reading written by the daughter of the fellow, and some by himself, who built the initial 3 foot model and then supervised this one, which was built to the same plans but "4X" larger.
Also relates that he sometimes called the intercoolers "handles" and Rodenberry did not appreciate that!

Old 01-03-2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Great series of pictures. Wish I could visit it like you did but this is a a great second choice. Thanks for going to the time and trouble of posting these pics. Wasn't aware that the saucer hadn't been restored. What was your impression of the restoration work that was done?

Well, the saucer was restored but they left the upper saucer untouched as it was preservable. I believe the bridge section was worked upon.

It was an interesting effort; clearly more respectful than the previous effort where they changed the color and tried adding detail.

I was surprised with what appeared to be LEDs.

Hmmm?

I'll post more pics with the notes for those wishing to build or modify models to make more studio-model corrections.

I'm glad that taking the detail images will be helpful to towers I wish I had-had a better camera at the time!
Old 01-03-2018, 06:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
I remember going to the Smithsonian in the early 90's and seeing the Enterprise. I was surprised by how green it looked? I was expecting white to slightly grey but it had a very definite green hue to it. I don't notice that in these pictures?
Or is my memory just getting that bad?
Old 01-03-2018, 11:58 PM

Yes sir...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGay View Post
I remember going to the Smithsonian in the early 90's and seeing the Enterprise. I was surprised by how green it looked? I was expecting white to slightly grey but it had a very definite green hue to it. I don't notice that in these pictures?

No, you are correct. That was a result of the first restoration.

I think I still have pics from that exhibit too.

I wanted to take pics of details that modelers would appreciate and share them, this time around. If I can get back up there again, I'll go c a better camera!
Old 01-04-2018, 12:03 AM

Follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGay View Post

Here's an article about the coloring you might find interesting:

https://airandspace.si.edu/stories/e...rek-enterprise