PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 01-04-2018, 05:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
I'm going to have to remember to look up how how the "restore point" was selected and determined since it can't be restored to its original as-delivered condition for several reasons, prime among them is having had holes for lights and windows cut in it in stages of modification after the first pilot.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DC View Post
Here's an article about the coloring you might find interesting:

https://airandspace.si.edu/stories/e...rek-enterprise

Very interesting, indeed! I especially like the way they give approximate commercially available branded paints to start from.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestforests View Post
I'm going to have to remember to look up how how the "restore point" was selected and determined since it can't be restored to its original as-delivered condition for several reasons, prime among them is having had holes for lights and windows cut in it in stages of modification after the first pilot.

I think they meant "as delivered" to the Smithsonian, not the studio.
They were not going to fill in any mod's the studio performed. But they did go to great lengths to match and restore the colors correctly, rather than the previous time that left it looking puke green.
I believe they also compromised on using LED's when possible to reduce heat damage that the original incandescent bulbs had and would have continued to cause. But they did their best to re-create the original look.

There are many articles covering many aspects of this restoration available as well as several YouTube clips.

Cheers,

John Gay
Old 01-05-2018, 12:01 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
More pics...

Got a chance to sort through some more photos and post observations:

Pic 1-
Sorry for the reflection in the glass, but this pic shows the Bussards lit up.
It also offers a great inboard view of the port engine flux chiller. Note the position of the intercooler at the fore part of the chiiler.
It also displays the three dimensional aspect of the radiators behind the bussard domes.
It also illustrates the darker gray of the impulse matrix that connects to the engine housing at the aft of the primary hull, and the shape and size of the rectangular sensor pad at the aft quarter of the primary hull [lit up].

Pic 2 displays the bow, showing the lettering.
It also displays the rectangular sensor pad inset [and lit up] in the fore quarter of the hull and the circular lit sensor pad center to the bow.

Note also how subtle the deflector grid is, as compared with kits currently available.

Pic 3 is the fore portion of the secondary hull, on the starboard side.

Note several details often not reflected on kits:

The shade difference on the interconnecting dorsal, forward section.

The copper color of the navigational deflector assembly.

The hull numbers (705 then 102 at the front).

The grill effect, like a heat sink, of the navigational deflector housing brace. In life, you can see through these ridges that stretch just in front of the pennant.

Also, another modeling detail, are the two horizontal ridges above and below the finned assembly, which are pronounced on the studio model.

A last observation is how very subtle any hull lines are.

Pic 4 illustrated the port side of the primary hull, which reveals other modeling details:

Another view of the inset, rectangular sensor pad, lit up, in the fore quarter of the dish.

The subtle weathering affect down the edge of the dish,

The lit port, red navigational beacon, then the unlit red running lit at the very edge, beside the navigational light.

A good close up of the lettering.

The small window in the center of the edge of the primary hull dish (unlit).

Pic 5: shows a close up of the starboard side of the primary hull, illustrating:

The lit green navigational light and the unlit green running light near it.

The lit white running light underside of the primary hull, just below the green navigational beacon.

The circular port hole just below the green running light.

How subtle the hull segmentation is along the rim of the hull,

The darker shade of the turbo shaft housing behind the bridge module.

How flush the sensor rectangles are along to top of the primary hull,

The lit red LED that projects out from the side of the bridge module.

How smooth the top of the primary hull appears in some images, suggesting the segmentation of deflector plating is barely present to the eye, even at this close proximity.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:02 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Pics for above...

Pics for above...
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-nacelles-fore.jpg   U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-across-bow.jpg   U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-secondadry-hull-fore.jpg   U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-lit-square-upper-saucer.jpg   U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-green-white-running.jpg  

Old 01-05-2018, 12:28 AM

More pics...

One more set for tonight:

Pic 1: the Main deflector dish with some interesting details; note it connects to the shaft from the hull with a coupling, suggesting a hinge effect [allowing it to flex port & starboard? Or if the shaft rotated, even with a wider range on the Y axis, ventral to dorsal or any permutation between if the shaft rotated?

Note also the concentric ridges within the very copper dish, three dimensionally ridged.

Also of interest is that there are three concentric circular bays that surround each other i thin housings, AND a separate, hull colored housing the surrounds the internal copper colored sections.

The detail of the deflector dis spindle.

Before leaving the pic, note the window details on the interconnecting dorsal and how recessed the pennant housing is before it reaches out to the deflector bay.

Pic 2: Note the best close up I could manage o the deflector dish, which illustrates the hinge effect I spoke of behind the deflector dish, where it attached to the protruding shaft.

The image also shows just how deep the deflector bay is, as it recesses into the forward section of the secondary hull.

Pic 3 further illustrates just how deep the bay is in the secondary hull, often depicted in production models as far less recessed.

Pic 4 provides a head on view, detailing the dish and illustrating how the outer housing hull is separate from the three inner copper circles in the deflector assembly.

Pic 5 shows a poor pic of the deflector bay [sorry!]

It does illustrate just how deep this bay falls into the fore section of the hull.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-deflector-dish.jpg   U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-deflector-dish-detail.jpg   U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-deflector-bay-close-up.jpg   U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-deflector-fore.jpg   U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-deflector-bay.jpg  

Old 01-05-2018, 12:34 AM

Okay, one more...

This pic shows the deflector bay from an angle that lets you see just how deeply the rings extend into the hull.

Hope this level of detail is not getting too tedious. I just knew what I wanted as a modeler?
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-deflector-bay-recess.jpg  
Old 01-05-2018, 01:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Hope this level of detail is not getting too tedious.
I am equally as curious to see the details, my inquiring mind wants to know, to use, sort-of, a famous phrase.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Got a chance to sort through some more photos and post observations:

Pic 3 is the fore portion of the secondary hull, on the starboard side.

The hull numbers (705 then 102 at the front).
As a sailor, I would suggest these are frame numbers. Those are used as location markers on most ships. Any space on a ship is identified by:
Deck number - First Frame number - The an even or odd number identifying whether it's port or starboard.
Though 705 and 102 seem extremely close together in this image.

COMPARTMENT DESIGNATION/DECK NUMBERING SYSTEM - 14325_205

Cheers,

John Gay
Old 01-05-2018, 07:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Fire! Fire! Fire! Class Bravo fire in compartment 5-95-0-E!
Something I heard only in drills.
Google Adsense