PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 01-14-2018, 02:16 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Random thoughts continued...

And I say only beginning because another detail, not included in TV’s most recent representation of the Turtle, on the TV show TURN, was of her perceived, polished wooden hull, ready for antique quality display. It has been further suggested, that to make the Turtle more water secure, the craft was covered in pitch and tar. If this is true, than the pretty, catalogue-quality polished wooden image that we are all cling to, is probably no more accurate than the hull shape that was misapplied for over two centuries. It more likely resemble a big, black, wet snot than the model we would all prefer building.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-turtle-2.jpg  
Old 01-14-2018, 02:18 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Random thoughts continued...

Now, before you think that I have completed lost track of this thread’s purpose, (hijacking my own thread) let me suggest, that in this time of instant images and text, we all might be a little cautious before accepting that our “facts” are factual. If a historic benchmark of naval history can be even more misrepresented in popular access than a fifty year old, fictional device to inspire the imagination, then our being suspicious and judicious in our conclusions might be well warranted.

I know that there are countless other inaccuracies in our public consciousness. From the public historic perception of what the fabric of the Hindenburg actually looked like to the inaccurate conceptualization of molecular shape, I wonder how these inaccuracies might be more harmful than of mere Trivial Pursuit detail scores. These misunderstandings can influence perception and even limit the effort to learn more. We think we know, so we stop looking. We think we understand, so we stop searching. We think we have enough information, so we stop listening. In an age of acerbic tribal politics and social-media promoted schema, maybe this little exercise, to share details of a studio model, can illustrate an even deeper understanding of the nature of truth; the seeking of it requires constant diligence and repeated verification.

Well, Mr. Roddenberry liked to promote thinking more than to relate strongly held convictions; something from which more recent incarnations of Star Trek have deviated. I’ll post some more images soon but I had to wax a bit philosophical about just how misinformed we can be, and that it can be due to agenda-driven propaganda or to honest error that becomes more cherished than truth.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-england-hampshire-gosport-royal-navy-submarine-museum-replica-turtle-d6t1jr.jpg   U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-ckig9cxuwaasu7e.jpg  
Old 01-14-2018, 02:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DC View Post
We think we know, ...
... and therefore conclude that we know that we know.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:56 AM

Clever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestforests View Post
... and therefore conclude that we know that we know.

Descartes would be proud...
Old 01-21-2018, 02:02 AM

Some more...

Here's a couple more that I could salvage, despite the weak camera:

The first is an inboard of the nacelle that shows the forward intercooler assembly:

Notice how the fore section of the intercooler attaches to the engine housing. The different shading is also remarkable.

The second pic is of the central underside of the model; an angle hard to reach and light properly. The decorations are clearly decade, not etched.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-inboard-intercooler.jpg   U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-underside.jpg  

Last edited by THE DC; 01-21-2018 at 02:29 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 01-21-2018, 02:31 AM

One more to go with the previous entry...

Sorry; the pic didn't load.

Trying agin.

The third image was a close up of the underside of the secondary hull, just behind the previous pic (#2). The photo shows the after bay; a white rectangle, framed with a dark gray line. This detailing appears to have been decaled.

I'll sort the few left for anything useful...
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-underside-aft.jpg  
Old 01-21-2018, 10:08 PM

Ironic, that after giving a big speech regarding the unusual nature of the original series, an article was recently published concerning the way it was received in the 60s:

Heroes and Icons | 5 original Star Trek episodes that were banned overseas

Enjoy...
Old 01-24-2018, 01:25 AM

More pics...

Okay, here's a few more pics. The remaining images are of lesser quality but might have details to share that make up for there poor lens work.

The first is a close up of the forward underside of the secondary hull, near the deflector housing. Note where the sand holds up the 11 ft. long model. Just near it is the forward marking "102".

There next is a close up of where the interconnecting dorsal meets the underside the primary hull. Despite the poor image, I included it to share some modeling details: the considerable darker color of the impulse engines, the rounded fit of the connection at the edge of the dorsal-primary hull joining, and in the background, how the pre-stage field shaping coils (under assemblies) the particle vents on the nacelle, behind where the bussard collector.

The third is a close upon the red primary hull markings that illustrates hoe defined, dark and large this red decal is, as well as the the subtle white line that recedes back into the hull. It is almost invisible from a casual glance.

The fourth is the underside chevron, which I am uncertain as yo its purpose. I read some early notes that this was a hatch that covered landing legs and cargo-materials access, but also in a Jefferies diagram that its the sensor/subspace antenna assembly. Whats interesting from the pic is that the base is a pronounced, elevated ridge, not just a decal or flat marking.

The last tonight is the lower sensor array, alternately labeled interplanetary sensor and secondary sensor assembly. This image clearly shows the pronounced pod at the center of the dome and the projection from the front of this. I have not seen this in any of the sketches or blueprints and would welcome any identification of the item; it is not on Jeffries prints or design notes. Also clear in the image is the dome is fixed in a series of two concentric ring housings that are embedded in a larger housing that is mated to the lower primary hull. Many model kits do not convey these two reducing ring details. The housing also has three parallel struts that appear in triangular pattern, if looking from below upward.

Also interesting from this pic is the yellow bay door assembly between the two rows of two windows. The yellow-tan lines above the hatches are of note, as well as the more subtle, light gray line below.

Okay, I'll sort out what few I have left for another posting in a day or two.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-stand-102-marking.jpg   U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-underside-impulse-manifold.jpg   U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-primary-hull-marking.jpg   U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit-lower-sensor-array.jpg  
Old 01-24-2018, 07:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.56 MB
45 Rare Historic Photos – No Photoshop Here – Page 12 – HistoryInOrbit.com
Old 01-24-2018, 11:57 PM

Thanks...

Cool find!

She changed much since that first pilot version...