PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 10-28-2018, 04:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
I’m giving the Udvar-Hazy tour this morning, will post awards info when I get home.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
So, AirDave, your daughter is smiling in the group photo, but she's on the opposite end of the group from you. Is she having a good time?
Old 10-28-2018, 10:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Group Photo Tentative Identifications

Thanks for posting the group photo, Jack.

There are two participants whom I can't identify, and I regret that I do not know Dave Winfield’s daughter’s name. Perhaps someone who was there can help.

Back row: Bernie Montague (Cardist), Allan Wheeler, Ray Smith (Texman), Jim Baker, Pete Heesch, Aaron Murphy, Don Weeks (rockpaperscissors), Carl Ericson , Linda Kemp, ____?, Anne McCombs, Peter Ansoff, Jack Colin, ____?, Rev Thomas Davies Clay, Bill Kastenmeier (Astroboy), Dave Winfield (AirDave).

Front Row: Dave Winfield’s daughter, Bob DelPizzo (rmrks2000), Rick Steffers (Ricksteff), Steve Brown.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
2018 International Paper Modelers' Convention-ipmc_2019_group_photo.jpg  
Old 10-28-2018, 12:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
The Awards Committee was quite a bit different this year, since Don and Lil Boose had sent their regrets before the Convention; Rick Steffers recused himself; and Alan Wheeler was willing to let someone else take the lead. Linda Kemp and Jack Colin graciously agreed to join me in selecting this year's winners. In addition, we changed the procedure for People's Choice, in that Jack Colin distributed numbers only to models or collections that the exhibitors wished to place in the running for the award. Some suggestions were made at the morning meeting about other possible procedural changes, which I will leave to a later discussion. So, here are the results of the 2018 IMPC Awards!

Theme "Something Fishy": We divided this into two awards.

Best Theme Table:
Rick Steffers, for an amazing variety of sea creatures and seafood-related models. He received a thematically appropriate model of a "Piranha 1" armored vehicle.

Best Theme Individual Model: Jack Colin, for "The one that got away," a diorama of a UFO abducting a large fish creature while the much smaller human fisherman runs for his life. Note: although Jack was on the committee, he recused and absented himself from the discussions of this award. He received a model of the USS Albacore submarine.

Best Table Display:
Dave Winfield, for his display of his many designs, including KoolWheelz, his Saladin, various Canadair Tutors, and more. His interlocking cardboard display shelves were much admired as well. We decided since he mostly builds his own designs, we would award him a perfectly awful early Maly Modelarz model, with the proviso that he could trade it for his choice of the remaining prizes at the end of the evening. He exercised this option, and traded for a die cut Japanese "Yamato" ship.

Most Unusual Model:
The committee deadlocked on this award. Fortunately, both finalists were built by the same person. Jim Baker won for his foam-core house and/or his stacking pagoda Bento box. We gave him a modern Maly Modelarz kit of a rather peculiar looking Polish aircraft (sorry, I failed to record exactly what it was, a PZL something).

The Greg Perry Silk Purse from a Sow's Ear award went to Ray Smith for his highly redesigned and resized Santa Maria. Apologies, I don't have a record of what we awarded -- Texman, can you help me out here?

Special Awards. The committee recognized three individuals for special achievements:

Comedy Award: Rick Steffers' Flopping Fish on a Chopping Block automaton. He received the Pie Factory automaton model as a prize.

Productivity Award: Thomas Clay, whose extensive table display consisted entirely of new models, built within the last year. He got a German castle, which he should be able to complete easily in a short time.

Special Recognition: Peter Heesch, who after many years of loyally and generously supporting the Convention in a variety of ways, actually built a model for the first time in anyone's memory. His Trout on a Fishing Pole was thematically appropriate as well. He has every paper model known to mankind, but we gave him a Japanese version of the Titanic that we thought he might not have

People's Choice Award: An awkward moment ensued when the inexperienced committee realized that we didn't know which number went with each model. During tallying, the votes were very widely spread among many models, but a clear repeat winner emerged in Ray Smith's scratchbuilt Fokker D. VIII. As a second-time winner, he will be retiring this magnificent model from competition. Again, with apologies, I failed to record Ray's prize.

And finally, we made the greatly anticipated announcement of next year's theme. The 2019 IPMC Theme will be "Oktoberfest -- Anything German." The committee trusts that this choice offers plenty of opportunity for creativity in selecting appropriate theme models in a variety of subjects, and looks forward to seeing next year's entries.

Note: Obviously, I did not record the prizes and have depended on memory. Corrections are invited and encouraged.

Last edited by Amccombs3; 10-28-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:55 PM

An outstanding report, Anne! And thanks to Jack and Linda for stepping in.

I really enjoyed reading your narrative.

It sounds like some good ideas were presented for managing future award activities. I look forward to talking with you about this.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 10-28-2018, 03:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Thanks for posting the group photo, Jack.

There are two participants whom I can't identify, and I regret that I do not know Dave Winfield’s daughter’s name. Perhaps someone who was there can help.

Back row: Bernie Montague (Cardist), Allan Wheeler, Ray Smith (Texman), Jim Baker, Pete Heesch, Aaron Murphy, Don Weeks (rockpaperscissors), Carl Ericson , Linda Kemp, ____?, Anne McCombs, Peter Ansoff, Jack Colin, ____?, Rev Thomas Davies Clay, Bill Kastenmeier (Astroboy), Dave Winfield (AirDave).

Front Row: Dave Winfield’s daughter, Bob DelPizzo (rmrks2000), Rick Steffers (Ricksteff), Steve Brown.

Don
The guy between Jack and the Rev is my cousin Bill Albro who is very kindly hosting me for my visit. The show was fantastic and it was just amazing meeting up with fellow paper modellers. Anne's tour on Sunday was just the icing on the cake.

Taking some great memories home with me. Many thanks for your warm welcome

Bernie
Old 10-28-2018, 03:17 PM

Thanks, Bernie! Once I get an i.d. on the other participant, I will repost with all the names, including Cousin Bill.

Sure sorry I wasn't there.

Don
Old 10-28-2018, 03:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Based on what I sent to Don for prizes and what was awarded to whom based on Anne's report, I'm going to assume Ray was Awarded the Swiss shark mouth bf 109. Regardless, congratulations on your award Texman!

Greg
Old 10-28-2018, 08:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Glad it was a good event. Looking forward to the pictures.

I'll start work on the Dayton get together early in January.

Isaac
Old 10-29-2018, 06:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.99 MB
Joe Woodbridge, from OK
Bill Abro
Sarah Winfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Don
Google Adsense