PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

View Poll Results: Dayton mini convention May 11-13
1 - Will you participate/display May 11 to 13th ? 6 100.00%
2 - Will you bring more than 10 models ? 3 50.00%
3 - Do you need a room at the Hope hotel for your stay 4 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-14-2018, 01:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
The one and only Deckape, boats himself.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:46 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Who is Mr. Muttonchops? Is he on the forum?
Mr Muttonchops, as you call him, is on the forum. His nick is "deckape".

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-14-2018, 02:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Congratulations, Isaac! Great photos and convention. Will try to make it next year. Last weekend my 2 daughters graduated, one with a BA at U of AR and the other with a MA at the U of SC.

Fred
Old 05-14-2018, 02:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Looks like a good turnout for the meeting. Congrats on getting some others hooked on paper.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
I have reread from page 10. Roughly how many visitors do you feel you had? How many make & takes? How many freebies did you pass out? Which subject seemed to get the most interesting?

If you have reported this already please forgive me.
Michael

I have not counted at all. However here is what I think was going on.

We had 9 exhibitors spread over 13 tables with probably 150-200 paper models.

One large Make and Take table well stocked with over 10 simple kits of which we had at least 10 each and some over 50 copies each.

We started with boxy designs like the APCs, and simple robots. Some animals like a monkey and a simple plane.

I think there were about 10 people ( 2 of which were adults ) that were building those simple models.

We gave away multiple copies of the printed kits for them to take home.

I gave away 7 fully built ( 1/33 scale ) paper models I built over the years to the kids that showed great interest .

I noticed the foot traffic was greatest from about 10-noon and then tapered off. However, that gave us modelers time to talk amongst ourselves and get to know each other.

I did not notice the guests overwhelmingly interested in one type of model over another. There seems to be fascination that it even exists. I did get many questions on aircraft from ex pilots and aviation enthusiasts.

I would encourage the other participants to chime in with their observations and suggestions.

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 05-14-2018, 08:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Excellent summary, Put yourself down for a raise and a bonus. When I have shown my models to friends and acquaintances they are stunned when I tell them that they are paper.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 05-14-2018, 09:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Smile It was great

Ahoy Paper wrights
Had a lovely time it was a pleasure to meet everyone and to see them in person instead of paper one happy family I call it. I seen the most beautiful card models on display that would turn any eye, I have never seen so many jet aircraft from our beloved Isaac Isaac gave me a couple builds he built in the past he is liquidating his collections to build more. He done a wonderful job Knife had the most beautiful scale airliner builds I have seen. also I learned he a pilot for commercial aviation he knows his stuff on these his builds are amazing . Davecard creations he had a very beautiful collection at his display table he had a beautiful F6F Hellcat We all had a marvelous time chatting amongst each other everyone had a ball Cant wait next year Next year I will prepare myself better then just bringing in models to share. WONDERFUL TIME

Boats
Old 05-14-2018, 10:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Fun to see so many great models on display, thank you for sharing this with us !!
Old 05-15-2018, 06:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Nice to now connect a face with a name Mr. Deckape! Must be quite a story to yer family name...

We can all hope that this tiny beginning grows into an annual event with many more contributors. I have been to a few IPMS (sorry to the admins for using such a swear word here in this family forum) Nationals and they left such a bad taste in my mouth I never will go back. Many of the people you meet at such events are friendly and great peeps but to me there seems to be an underlying tensipon of competition which is certainly NOT what I am in this hobby for.

Hopefully some of these type of conventions can get some medai coverage and then we can all go "viral" (whatevah the heck that is).

OK. Enuff of me rambling. You guys did a splendid job and I know everyone on this forum is proud to be able to cal you a friend.

MS
Live, Laff, Love...

Last edited by MichaelS; 05-15-2018 at 06:37 AM. Reason: auto keerect agayn
Old 05-22-2018, 09:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
I have several “motivation” posters in my work room, and the collective theme is “PERSEVERERANCE”. I must say that Isaac had the perseverance to put together a great model show in Dayton!

At Isaac's request, here my a critique of the event. First, it certainly attained the goal of a mid-west area mini convention. It was enjoyable meeting the real modelers behind the avatars on Paper Modeler's forum. Secondly, those outsiders who visited, and actually tried their hand a cutting and pasting were enjoying the experience.

Now, about the venue. The Hope Hotel is very nice. Not the Ritz, but certainly above average. Good, accommodations, nice restaurant, and very nice meeting rooms. And at an affordable price. Being off the beaten path, and seemingly mostly for the convenience of Air Force people coming and going (it is adjacent to the Wright Patterson Air Force Base) there is little casual traffic.

The down side of all that is the low number of visitors. Being off the main drag, and away from other hotels and restaurants, there is little chance of people dropping in by chance. One local visitor, seeing our flyer, had never heard of the Hope Hotel. The problem with moving to a busy area is the lack of meeting rooms and accommodations at a reasonable price.

So, it seems we have to find a way to have our cake and eat it too! Camaraderie, AND promoting the hobby to outsiders. I choose getting together with other builders as first, but I have to admit, it does the ego good to hear “I can't believe that's paper!” Hopefully there is a way to do both next year (and there most certainly will be a next year!).

I'll add a few photos. Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Dayton Paper Con 2018 May 11 to 13th-boats-vickers.jpg   Dayton Paper Con 2018 May 11 to 13th-img_2204.jpg   Dayton Paper Con 2018 May 11 to 13th-isaac-sutdent.jpg   Dayton Paper Con 2018 May 11 to 13th-part-isaac-air-force.jpg   Dayton Paper Con 2018 May 11 to 13th-john-wagenseils-work.jpg  

Dayton Paper Con 2018 May 11 to 13th-very-slow-progress.jpg   Dayton Paper Con 2018 May 11 to 13th-img_2209.jpg   Dayton Paper Con 2018 May 11 to 13th-img_2182.jpg   Dayton Paper Con 2018 May 11 to 13th-img_2194.jpg   Dayton Paper Con 2018 May 11 to 13th-img_2173.jpg  

Google Adsense