PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 05-19-2018, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.52 MB
Looks like a fun event again there at the Army War College! Hope for clear skies and tailwinds for you, looking forward to pictures....
Old 05-19-2018, 08:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 110.61 MB
Looks like fun...hope y’all have a great day! Looking forward to the After Action Report!
Old 05-19-2018, 09:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
This just demonstrates what I have felt ever since joining this wonderful forum. This is sooo much more than just little boys playing with toys. If we can do nothing else for the people who fought and suffered in all the stupid wars we MUST remember them.

Once again DB thank you for being this forum's heart.

MS
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 05-19-2018, 06:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Once again DB thank you for being this forum's heart.

MS

No pressure there, Don
Old 05-19-2018, 08:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
First Day of Army Heritage Days

It has been a long day, so I am just going to post a few representative images. I’ll be taking more photos tomorrow and hope to post more, especially models, tomorrow night and Monday.

1. Peter and the Owl: Peter Ansoff and the Johan Scherrft owl that, along with his Empire State Building and dirigible, is his signature model at public events.

2. Ann McMillin with Peter, Don Weeks (rockpaperscissors), and a blurry John Dell in the background

3. Linda Kemp

4. Jack Colin and his Graf Zeppelin, USS Arizona, some planking from USS North Carolina, and one of his paper weapons that caused some consternation to the USAHEC security guards when he first arrived until Karl Warner ran down the corridor shouting, “It’s made of paper!”

5. Rick Steffers (Rickstef), JackMcCombs, and Anne McCombs

6. Kevin Stephens, one of the founding members of this event, was ill and could not be here, but he was represented by some of his models, especially the Dragon Wagon and M4 Sherman.

7. Lil Boose and her animals (and a couple of Dave Winfield Koolwheelz).

8. The handouts.

9. John Dell’s aerodrome (lots more images coming later). Note the little blue house in the middle.

10. Last year, John Dell made friends with a young man named Dereck, who built a little paper model of a house, which John displayed among his airplanes. He brought it back this year, hoping that Dereck would show up, which he did, and they renewed their friendship.

11. We were delighted to see John Glessner (DrLaser), always a mainstay of this event, the Northern Virginia IPMS event, and the International Paper Modelers’ Convention. Sadly for us, John and Rose are moving to Washington State, but they made Carlisle their first stop on their cross country road trip. Here he is with Rick and John.

12. And Lil was delighted to have one last chance to visit with her buddy, Rose Glessner.

13. Among our visitors was Colonel (Ret) Steve Bosan, a veteran of WWII (combat engineer in Patton’s Third Army), Korea (flying H-13 helicopters), and Vietnam (commanding the 14th Aircraft Maintenance Battalion). It was an honor to meet this veteran of three major wars. To his right is Tom Brugger, son of Richard Brugger (far right) who, we discovered, was an enlisted radio operator assigned to an advisory team in Vietnam at exactly the same time I was there (1966-67). He was at Mỹ Tho, about 30 miles from Vinh Binh, where I was stationed. We had a good time talking.

14. This evening, we had the annual Paper Modelers Solemn Banquet at the Carlisle Thai Cuisine restaurant. A few years ago, Anne McCombs presented the owner, Joy, with a paper model of an elephant. For this occasion, Jack Colin built a modified Laura Croft model entitled “Plate Raider” with Laura snatching up a plate of Evil Jungle Princess (Jack’s and Rick Steffers’s favorite meal).

15. Jack presenting Joy with the model while Linda and Anne look on.

16. The solemn picture. Left to right: Rick Steffers, Peter Ansoff, Lil Boose, Don Boose, Linda Kemp, Anne McCombs, Jack McCombs, Don Weeks, Ann McMillin (Rick and Jack McCombs demonstrate that there’s always someone who doesn’t get the word).

17. The zany picture.

More tomorrow, including the 1/1 scale tanks, reenactors, and lots of models!

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd18_01_peter-owl.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd18_02_ann_mcmillin_and_co.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd18_03_linda_kemp.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd18_04_jack_colin.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd18_05_rick-jack-anne.jpg  

Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd18_06_kevin_stephens.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd18_07_lil_boose.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd18_08_handouts.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd18_09_john_dell.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd18_010_john-dereck.jpg  

Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd18_011_john_dell-rick-john_glessner.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd18_012_rose_glessner-lil_boose.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd18_013_steve_bosan-tom_brugger-richard_brugger.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd18_014_laura_croft-plate_raider.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd18_015_presentation.jpg  

Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd18_016_solemn.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd18_017_zany.jpg  

Last edited by Don Boose; 05-19-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 05-19-2018, 08:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.52 MB
Haha great last picture, wow Kevin's model is amazing, and those ships, too. Thank you for showing the festivities
Old 05-19-2018, 08:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Note that Peter (who organizes the annual International Paper Modelers' Convention in Sterling, Virginia) is always solemn. I think it is the influence of the owl.

Don
Old 05-20-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
No pressure there, Don
(Shhh. It is my secret technique to Guilt Trip him into posting more)
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 05-20-2018, 06:46 AM

As always DB a wunnerful post. Do you have a guess as to how many actually viewed your exhibit? How many freebies did you hand out?

Who can look at all these precious little toys and animals made by these lovely ladies and not realize that the whole world would be much better off run by Wimmen!
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 05-20-2018, 08:44 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Don, thanks for taking the trouble to post all of this. I really wish I could be there!

Nevertheless it is nice to be able to put names to faces, and see all the models.....