PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 05-26-2018, 05:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
DB,

Just been in 'putter setup hell for the past week or so. Really missed this place. Should be back mid week so consider herself warned!
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 05-27-2018, 10:14 AM

I have done myself the favor of rereading this entire thread. This event was just fabulous! DB's report is worthy of a journalism reward. I laffed til I nearly cried thinking of rickstef talking & talking... I also hope some new members pop up here.

I have been to and even helped organize IPMS (sorry I know this forum is supposed to be PG) Nationals and they never approached the comradery seen here. IPMS Nats are about nothing more than 2 or 3 huge vendor rooms and a huge display of, yes, well done Pl#$%teeq kits. BUT the judging of the models and the bitching and moaning and groaning that follows for months is just unbelievable. The club I was in in West Central Fl basically fell apart after the last Nats we put on. I have not been back since. But I digress.

A million thanks again to all who were involved as well as all who have read and replied to this thread. I am also so encouraged to see posted today an thread on a similar event somewhere in Eastern Europe.

I and my wife are so glad I found this forum and hobby. I absolutely Love all the models, history, creativity, banter and friendships that I have found here in just the last 6 months.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program....

MS
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 05-27-2018, 10:25 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Michael,

I invite you and your wife, if you are able to either visit with use in Carlisle or in Sterling.
Then you can really see how much I talk.

This year was the first year where my voice was a bit gravelly in the mornings of Sunday and Monday.

I am always willing to share my knowledge of the hobby, and my passion for it, and if I can incorporate my education, even better.

As I have warned people, I geek hard at these events.
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 05-27-2018, 10:29 AM

We would love to come but we have a 16 acre farm in west Florida with 16 miniature therapy horses. This very day we are waiting on a lil foal to be born.

Trust me, I do live vicariously through you guys up there.

MS
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 05-27-2018, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
I also want to say how much fun it was. This year I never got outdoors, where there are many great reenactors, vehicles, and exhibits (the weather was discouraging on Saturday, though it made fine mud for the tanks). I always find that this is the one event of the year where I get a fair amount of modeling done, so long as I work on a fairly easy model. Friendly audience, and we never get tired of visitors exclaiming "That's paper?!? over Kevin's Dragon Wagon / Sherman. And yes, Rick really did spend as much time and voice promoting the hobby and educational value as he said. Also, the evening get-togethers are ridiculously fun. The highlight for me this year was Jack Colin's presentation of the Evil Jungle Princess model to our host at the Thai restaurant. You had to be there.

P.S. Apologies for not weighing in sooner, but I came down with a bug right after the show. The good news was that the first symptoms hit me on the drive home, so no show or modeling time was lost. And I'm mostly over it by now.
Google Adsense
Old 06-05-2018, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Belated answer to Michael about the attendance. Rounding off, 6,800 people attended the event over the two days that it took place. We do not have a count of the number of people who came through the room where we had the Paper Modelers' display, but it had to have been several hundred.

Another statistic: it took three hours and twenty minutes to hose the mud off the tanks and other vehicles with fire hoses. USAHEC is thinking of making the tank washing another public event. "You have to be as tall as my rifle to get to hold the fire hose."

Looking forward to next year's event. PM me if you are interested in attending (I will be in touch with the Usual Suspects).

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-m4a2-76-w-hvss-sherman-easy-eight-medium-tank-usahec-180520.jpg  
Old 06-05-2018, 08:32 AM

I never saw a targit that clean in I Corps!! How dare they call themselves reenactors.

Thanks so much for your After Action Report Major or General or Admiral Boose.

MS
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 06-06-2018, 05:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Question Plan to be there this Saturday

I'll be driving home on saturday June 9th and plan to stop by the museum around 1 pm. Anyone there want to join and meet ?

Isaac
Old 06-06-2018, 05:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
As I said in our PM exchange, Isaac, weather permitting, Lil and I will be on our way to Kennett Square on Saturday. Not sure if Kevin is now well enough to drive up to Carlisle, but Ann McMillin might be in the area.

At USAHEC, ask if Karl Warner is in the building. He is our main liaison there and I'm sure he would be glad to see you. Many of the USAHEC staff know me and the Paper Modelers, so introduce yourself to any staff members you meet. Chances are, they will understand paper modeling.

If Chuck or Bob are on duty at the welcome desk, tell him I said hello.

There are a lot of exhibits in the Visitor and Education Center (main building), and it is worth while walking down the corridor to the right as you come in (you have to walk around the M151 Mutt on display and past the book store) to the Library and Archives. Usually there is only one person on duty at the desk, but you can see the public space of the Library, then go up the elevator to look at the WWI photos and the Omar Bradley Museum.

The history trail has all the outdoor exhibits and is very much worth the walk.

Hope you have a good time.

Don

Hope you have a good time.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Funny coincidence - I just emailed Don to see if he was free to meet for breakfast on Saturday and he mentioned this post in his response. While I'm disappointed that he and Lil are going to be out of town, I am very excited to meet up with Isaac. Fingers crossed for nice weather.
Google Adsense