PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 03-04-2018, 04:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018

The annual Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days will take place on Saturday and Sunday, 19-20 May 2018, at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC) in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA. Army Heritage Days

The theme this year is the 1968 Tet Offensive in Vietnam, but as was the case last year, there will also be tanks and armored vehicles from many different eras on display and driving on the USAHEC's tank course to demonstrate maneuvers and tactics. As always, there will be demonstrations, lectures, and many reenactors and living historians portraying Soldiers and equipment of the U.S. Army in America’s wars throughout the centuries.

Members of the Paper Modelers’ Forum will display models and demonstrate paper model techniques from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM on those days. As of now, Peter Ansoff, Jack Colin, John Dell, Linda Kemp, Anne and Jack McCombs, Kevin Stephens, Don Weeks (rockpaperscissors), and Lil and I plan to be there.

We will showcase models relevant to the history of the U.S. Army, but will also display many other models to demonstrate the range and scope of paper modelling.

It’s a great opportunity to learn about U.S. Army and military history, see military equipment and reenactors, and to meet veterans (some of whom drove, flew, or sailed on the originals of our paper models).

We will also hold the annual Paper Modelers Solemn Banquet at the Carlisle Thai Cuisine restaurant on Saturday evening.

Thanks to Dave Winfield, Scott Fyn and Fiddlers Green, John Bowman and Design Group Alpha, Cliff Button and Paper Tiger Armaments, Camille Morin (Cami), Chris Gutzmer and the ECardmodels team, and Ryan Short for their support of the event, including permissions to reproduce models.

Here are the threads about the previous Paper Modelers’ Displays at USAHEC:
2017: Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2017
2017 April Special Event: 1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center
2016: Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2016
2015: Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2015
2014: Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2014
2013 March Special Event: Paper Modelers at USAHEC 2013
2012:Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2012
2011: Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2011
2010: Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2010
2009: Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2009

If you live anywhere near Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA, or if you happen to be traveling through during that time, we hope you will stop by to say hello, to enjoy the Army Heritage Days activities, and to get acquainted with the USAHEC and the U.S. Military History Institute -- a great place to do research for future models, to learn about your own Army ancestors and relatives, or to make use of the vast collection of documents. There will also be a sale of used military history books by the USAHEC Foundation.

If you wish to participate in the event, please send me a PM.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-pm-ahd17_01-02.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-pm-ahd17_01-04.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd17_tankcourse_10.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd17_tankcourse_11.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-pm-ahd17_01-15_solemn_banquet.jpg  

Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-160522_10_von_cruikshanks_regiment.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-160522_11_old_union_campaigners.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-160522_13_tuskegee_airman.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-160522_06_dave_demichei_and_john.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-160522_15_us_sanitary_commission.jpg  

Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-m4.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-m-10-td.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-tanks.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-04-2018, 04:35 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Especially starting at 2.20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNl0sBz1ol4#t=2m20s
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo

Last edited by rickstef; 03-04-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:11 AM

A reminder that Army Heritage Days begins tomorrow at 12:00 noon (delayed from 9:00 AM because of wet ground). Army Heritage Days

Most of the paper modelers will be loading in at 4:00 PM today to get our tables set up, followed by dinner at the Café Bruges for the food of Rick's people.

John Dell will be displaying three tables worth of B-17s and B-24s. Kevin Stephens is unable to participate, but his Dragon Wagon and Sherman medium tank will be on display.

The full-sized tanks and other armored and soft-skinned vehicles will be on display and in action on the tank obstacle course.

Tomorrow night, Rick and Jack Colin have a date with the Evil Jungle Princess, as we have our annual Solemn Banquet at the Carlisle Thai Cuisine.

Events continue on Sunday.

If you will be in the Carlisle, PA, USA, area this weekend, please come out to see the Army Heritage Days events and to visit the Paper Modelers. If you are a member of the Forum, please introduce yourself.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-pm-ahd17_01-12.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ipmc17b_16_kevin_stephens_wagon-plus-sherman.png  
Old 05-18-2018, 01:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
I hope you guys are swamped!
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 05-18-2018, 01:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
I never realised such a gathering existed...! Wish you all a great day
Google Adsense
Old 05-18-2018, 02:23 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I look forward to seeing everyone. I'll leave a little extra traveling time due to the wet forecast, but barring unforeseen delays along the way, I will be there by 9am for a soggy setup. Stupid weather.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:07 PM

Today, I drove down to York to pick up Kevin Stephens's Dragon Wagon and Sherman and an assortment of his tank models so he will be represented in spite of being unable to attend.

Rick Steffers, Linda Kemp, Anne and Jack McCombs, Jack Colin, Lil and I did the set up this afternoon under the watchful eye of Forum Member Karl Warner, the Official USAHEC Paper Modelers Wrangler.

We then adjourned to the Café Bruges for moules frites and other delights. Rick showed images of the first one of these events, in 2009 when he, Kevin, Greg Perry, and I held the very first Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days event. Images below.

That 2009 event set the pattern of interaction with reenactors and visitors, including veterans, especially those who relate to the models. Among the images below is that of Bill Lentz, who flew 96 missions in Piper L-4 Grasshoppers, including the crossing of the Rhine. You can see him signing a copy of the Fiddlers Green model of the L-4.

Looking forward to seeing John Dell, Peter Ansoff, Don Weeks, and Ann and Doug McMillin tomorrow morning. No significant rain today, but the fields are saturated, so the event will start at 12:00 to allow all the heavy vehicles to be moved in safely. We hope there won't be too much rain tomorrow so that the tanks won't have too much mud to contend with and we won't have too many folks with dripping raincoats leaning over the models.

But whatever happens, it's great to be back together again, surrounded by paper models.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd-1-3.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd-1-4.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd-3-3.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd-3-4.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-ahd-3-2.jpg  

Old 05-18-2018, 08:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
Don,

I wish you all a great event! I am DEFINITELY going to plan on attending next year. This year was a literal "bust" for all sorts of plans. My wife broke her femur a month ago and still has about 3 more months of therapy, before she will have full use of the leg. We are talking about a Celtic Warrior Princess here. Defeat is not in her vocabulary and, as the Marines say, retreat is just an attack in a different direction. We have been married 58 years and have gone tent camping every year except this one (well, the year ain't over yet). If and when you meet her, please don't tell her that a woman her age should slow down; my mobile nuclear fall-out shelter is only big enough for me.

John
Old 05-18-2018, 08:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Cool Great fun

So great to see you all enjoy the gathering. Nice friends, paper models , re enactments and full scale stuff. Super.

I need to make it up there sometime soon. Could not do it this weekend due to all the Memphis Belle hoopla we had here at the Air Force museum in Dayton.

but......

there were lots of WW2 toys and re enactments as well

Pics here

Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-img_1551.jpg

Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-img_1581.jpg

Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018-img_1558.jpg

Isaac
Old 05-19-2018, 05:32 AM

Thanks for stopping by, friends. I hope to have images of today's event posted over the next day or so.

John - Hope your Celtic Warrior Princess will soon be fully mended. It would be great to see you at the event next year.

Thanks for those excellent images, Isaac. I hope to be in Dayton next year, and hope you can join us here.

Lex - If you ever get to this side of the Pond, it would be fun to meet you in person. We understand that there are also some festivities going on over in your area.

It looks like we will be swamped, Warlord Three Zero, but with rainwater. Got my fingers crossed that it clears.

More later,

Don
Google Adsense