PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 04-25-2018, 08:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic

Last weekend, Peter Ansoff (the organizer of the annual International Paper Modelers’ Convention [IPMC] in Sterling, Virginia, USA), Anne McCombs, Rev. Thomas Davies Clay, Pete Heesch (proprietor of HB Precision Card paper model sales), Lil, and I participated in the International Plastic Modelers’ Society (IPMS) NOVA (Northern Virginia) Model Classic held at the Fairfax High School on the outskirts of Washington, DC.

1. The banner at the entrance to the event.

2, 3. Our display as seen from the each end. Image 3, left to right: Thomas, Anne, Peter, and Lil.

4-7. Thomas’s display.

8-11. Anne’s display. In Image 8, she points to her model of the improbable Bell YFM-1 Airacuda bomber destroyer. An interesting airplane, but a very challenging model (it is NOT Gary Pilsworth’s excellent version).

12. Anne and our handouts: Dave Winfield’s M113 Armored Cavalry Vehicle, suitable for the theme of “Vietnam 1968.” One of the highlights of the event was watching Anne, Peter, and Pete hanging the banner advertising our “Free Models.” I will long remember Pete balancing on a folding chair above a two-foot precipice and wielding a tiny Swiss Army knife to trim the cords holding the banner while Peter sang Die Moritat von Mackie Messer [“Mack the Knife”] from Brecht's Die Drei Groschen Oper.

13-15. Peter’s display. Some visitors insisted that Peter’s LS barn owl must be made of wood.

16. Peter discusses the intended use of the dirigible mast atop the Empire State Building with some visitors.

17. Peter displayed examples of early and later Mały models to show the improvement in quality.

18. Peter and I were set up to demonstrate paper modeling. He worked on the Spanish ALCAN model of a Ford Model A coupe that he has been building intermittently at model shows for several years.

19-20. Lil’s display.

(To be continued)
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_01_entrance.jpg   Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_02_pm_display.jpg   Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_03_pm_display.jpg   Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_04_thomas-clay.jpg   Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_05_thomas-clay.jpg  

Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_06_thomas-clay.jpg   Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_07_thomas-clay.jpg   Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_08_anne_mccombs.jpg   Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_09_anne_mccombs.jpg   Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_10_anne_mccombs.jpg  

Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_11_anne_mccombs.jpg   Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_12_anne_mccombs.jpg   Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_13_peter_ansoff.jpg   Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_14_peter_ansoff.jpg   Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_15_peter_ansoff.jpg  

Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_16_peter_ansoff.jpg   Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_17_peter_ansoff.jpg   Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_18_peter_ansoff.jpg   Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_19_lil_boose.jpg   Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_20_lil_boose.jpg  

Last edited by Don Boose; 04-25-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 04-25-2018, 08:20 PM

A few more

21-22. Pete Heesch and his display of some of his collection and inventory, many of them classics.

23-25. Some of my display. In Image 23, there are two guest models: an FG GeeBee built by John Glessner (DrLaser) and a Douglas D-588-1 Skystreak built by Don Weeks (rockpaperscissor).

That’s all I can do tonight. Tomorrow, I will try to post some images of other models in various media that were on display.

We went out to dinner at Esposito's in Falls Church. I do not have any images of the event, but I will mention that Anne regaled us with tales of the adventures of an aircraft restorer at the National Air and Space Museum, not the least of which was the time that they were working on an ancient satellite that began oozing toxic goo from its rocket engine, temporarily incapacitating several of Anne's co-workers.

Jack McCombs also told us about the one time that he and Anne had to call Mayday while flying their Pazmany home built.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_21_pete_heesch.jpg   Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_22_pete_heesch.jpg   Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_23_don_boose.jpg   Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_24_don_boose.jpg   Paper Modelers at IPMS Northern Virginia Model Classic-ipmsnova18_25_don_boose.jpg  

Last edited by Don Boose; 04-25-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Cool

Don

Let me be the first to congratulate you and the entire team. Well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More comments a bit later in the week.

Isaac
Old 04-25-2018, 09:15 PM

Thanks, Isaac, and good wishes for your Dayton event. Wish I could be with you guys. Hope to make it next year.

We certainly had a lot of fun, and will be together again, plus Rick Steffers, John Dell, Kevin Stephens, Ann and Doug McMillan, Linda Kemp, Don Weeks, and Jack Colin (but minus Thomas Clay who will be traveling with Kathleen in Europe to recon more cathedrals to build) at the Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days event here in Carlisle.

Don
Old 04-25-2018, 09:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
It would appear that Paper was very well represented. Glad you had a good time
Google Adsense
Old 04-25-2018, 09:21 PM

Thanks, Dave. If you look close, you will see your Type 95 Scout Car in the middle of my display, so you were represented, too.

Don
Old 04-25-2018, 09:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Old 04-26-2018, 05:50 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Looked like a great display. Good to see the world of paper well represented. Thanks for sharing the photos with us.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Looks pretty good. The people visiting seemed very interested in the models and the process of making them.

Those lockers in the hall brought back memories.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
A + + +

Great pics and write up sir! You add so very much to our forum. Thank you so much.

Approx. how many attendees were there at the IPMS show? How many free models diod you hand out?
Live, Laff, Love...
Google Adsense