PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 06-06-2018, 06:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Fantastic display!!
Old 06-06-2018, 06:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Great job "showing the flag."

Now if we could just do something to make them look up from their phones to see it as they walk past....

MS
Live, Laff, Love...

Last edited by elliott; 06-06-2018 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Keeeping it family friendly
Old 06-06-2018, 08:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
Very impressive.

Well done.

In progress: Canon Alice in Wonderland Tunnel House, Canon A340, Learning Blender
Old 06-06-2018, 09:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
When can we see close up pictures of the display items?

Isaac
Old 06-06-2018, 05:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 172.42 MB
Boy, I'm glad I bopped down the hill to Pasadena today. It is amazing how much paper history, information and samples were achieved in such a contained area.
I certainly didn't expect to see some of the Ripley items, but a completed ship...WOW!
Also inspirational. As soon as I came back home I downloaded the Canon "Notre-Dame de Paris".
Another surprise for me was that JPL, which I can see from where I live, has paper models. I had no idea. Everyone who has the means to venture out to see this small and wonderful exhibit should do so. Mucho kudos to all involved.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
MrConk -- glad you liked it. I tried to be comprehensive yet approachable, since the aim is to entice new people to our hobby, especially younger students. The 1939 Marvel Model book is the prize of my collection, but many of the pieces are falling out -- not surprising, since they were intended to be punched out almost 80 years ago! Not 100% sure if the Kellogg's RMS Queen Mary was also designed by Rigby, but very likely. That one was a modern reprint I purchased from PMI a few years back.

Best wishes on the Norte Dame cathedral. When I built mine, I was concerned about the two-dimensional flying buttresses, but the overall effect is convincing and impressive. I would suggest coloring the edges so the white paper doesn't distract.

Eatcrow2 -- Thanks, Peter! Sorry for my prolonged communication lapse, but for several years I was taking care of my parents and didn't have much time for paper models. This display was a bit challenging to organize, but if the Pasadena Library asks for an encore, I know you have some jaw-droppers, too.

David T. Okamura
Old 06-12-2018, 01:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
David,

I'm sorry that I was not at the last meeting and not available to support you in this fine endeavor. Unfortunately I will not be at the next IPMS-OC meeting as well. I do look forward to seeing any photos of the display at the meeting in July.

Jim
Old 06-12-2018, 04:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Definitely a, "contribution" David!... (very well done)
Old 06-12-2018, 10:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
This was a great opportunity and experience. I've tried a couple of times to suggest a model display in my local libraries but lacked the vision to communicate it well. Your post about the lessons learned are incredibly helpful and insightful!

Congrats and thanks!
Old 06-12-2018, 11:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
Sreinmann, this was our first library display in a LONG while. And the earlier appearances were "tag-alongs" with other model clubs, so this is basically our first solo show.

When dealing with libraries, you must market a theme that meshes with their educational mandate. You can't just show off a miscellaneous collection without context. Many libraries are involved with STEM or STEAM programs for young students. This is why I was approached, as my friend surmised that downloaded paper models might be a good introduction to many aspects of STEAM -- Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics.

The Pasadena library was also interested in area history, so I included the Prof. Lowe / Pancho Barnes exhibit and the JPL space missions. In fact, the library will have a presentation later this month on the Professor's scientific experiments, so the paper model display will be included with the talk! So if you can tailor your focus towards local interests (such as an important anniversary), this might gain some traction with the library staff. Be advised that some popular libraries have display case waiting lists going back YEARS, so plan carefully. I already dropped hints of possible future themes to my friend, but we'll see how much public response this first exhibit generates.

David T. Okamura
Google Adsense