PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 04-25-2019, 11:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
The Birds and the Bugs

First, a bit of history. The Arts and Crafts movement first appeared in England in the second half of the 1800’s. It was set up as a reaction against the industrial revolution and mainly the poor designs caused by mass production. The founder of the movement was William Morris together with his business partner Philip Webb. They and others became known around the world for their designs for fabrics and wallpaper. Their success remains today – their designs still attract a (financial) premium.

Coming up to date – I am now a volunteer guide in the only remaining home designed by Phillip Webb – Standen House - now maintained by the National Trust.

The company – Morris & Co still exists today and from the 1st of June will be taking over the house for a big exhibition showing how nature in the form of plants and animals – mainly birds – influenced Morris & Co’s patterns. While most of the exhibition will be organised by Morris & Co, the staff at the house will have an input and mine will be ….. birds.

So far I have made 17 birds and plan just two more – unless the organisers think otherwise. The idea is for all the birds to be made with Morris patterns, which causes interesting problems. My first job was to find blank templates of birds. Google found me a company who sell three birds in different flying positions. I remembered that Pera Models had a lot of simple kits and to my surprise they have a wide variety of blank templates. I made many photocopies of wallpapers then printed the templates on the reverse. This caused two more problems – all my folds had to be reversed so all Valleys became hills and vice versa. Also, due to the randomness of the patters I have no references to line up the joins, although hours of “practice” made life easier.

The Pera Birds will form a “spotting trail” round the house for kids and the bigger birds will be part of a separate display.

A few days ago I was asked if I could make a few bugs. So far I’ve made a ladybird from Canon (A few weeks ago the house was infested with the real thing) and a couple of beetles. I’m still looking for bugs, so any web pages would be helpful – it will save time searching, leaving me more time to make more “wildlife” ;-)

I found the big birds here
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/5398...ctive_10&pro=1

The Pera birds are here.
Peramodel samples.

The beetles came from
‚½‚¾‚¢‚܃ƒ“ƒeƒiƒ“ƒX’†‚Å‚·

The first picture is a kids jigsaw using Morris's first wall paper and the house.

Small birds will follow
Cheers

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
The Birds and the Bugs-img_3225.jpg   The Birds and the Bugs-img_3227.jpg   The Birds and the Bugs-img_3230.jpg   The Birds and the Bugs-img_3233.jpg   The Birds and the Bugs-img_3239.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 04-25-2019, 12:02 PM

And here are the small birds all different birds and patterns.

The "good" news is there are more birds and patters available!

Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
The Birds and the Bugs-img_3235.jpg   The Birds and the Bugs-img_3236.jpg   The Birds and the Bugs-img_3238.jpg   The Birds and the Bugs-img_3240.jpg  
Old 04-25-2019, 01:04 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Mike - what a splendid (and creative) effort!

The birds look really great, and having been fortunate enough to experienced Standen House and also had the history and story around the features explained by an expert guide (!), I really do understand and appreciate what you have done here. A great idea!

-------------

As an aside in 2017, I met up with Mike and he kindly took me to Standen House and then showed me around - he was the expert guide mentioned above! A very enjoyable day, with memories that I still treasure.

------------

Mike to this day, I still keep explaining Standen stuff to people - especially the "carpet". People get bemused and look at me sideways! Oh well...
Old 04-25-2019, 01:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Nice one, Mike.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Sounds like an indoor nature trail.

This place has a mantis on page 2:
Studio Waka

These two have a butterfly:
https://paperm.jp/craft/living/index.html (other bugs also)

https://www.konicaminolta.jp/about/c...aft/index.html

This is the Epson site with some bugs:
Epson - Exceed Your Vision

This site has some cartoony bugs:
https://www.kizuna-avenue.jp/craft/pcraft/index.html

If nothing else, those will give you some practice in Japanese.
Google Adsense
Old 04-27-2019, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the kind words.... and the web sites. I've down loaded a few of the bugs and added Epson to my favourites.

I had a bit of a mad thought - the exhibition will be on for just over 5 months. on an average day we have 200 to 300 visitors a day. Recently (Easter holiday) that number went up to 1,500 plus each day!