PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 04-29-2019, 05:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2019

The annual Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days will take place on Saturday and Sunday, 18-19 May 2019, at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC) in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA. https://ahec.armywarcollege.edu/newsarticle.cfm?id=399

The theme this year is Operation OVERLORD, D-Day, June 6, 1944. As always, there will be demonstrations, lectures, and many reenactors and living historians portraying Soldiers and equipment of the U.S. Army in America’s wars throughout the centuries. Each day, there will be a flyover of D-Day era aircraft. The Army Heritage Foundation will also have a huge sale of used military history books.

Members of the Paper Modelers’ Forum will display models and demonstrate paper model techniques from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM on those days. As of now, Peter Ansoff, Rev. Thomas Davies Clay and Kathleen, Jack Colin, John Dell, Linda Kemp, Greg Perry, Kevin Stephens, Don Weeks (rockpaperscissors), and Lil and I plan to be there.

We will showcase models relevant to the history of the U.S. Army, but will also display many other models to demonstrate the range and scope of paper modelling.

It’s a great opportunity to learn about U.S. Army and military history, see military equipment and reenactors, and to meet veterans (some of whom drove, flew, or sailed on the originals of our paper models).

We will also hold the annual Paper Modelers Solemn Banquet at the Carlisle Thai Cuisine restaurant on Saturday evening.

Thanks to Dave Winfield for designing a special D-Day Army Heritage edition simple jeep model (Image 6) and giving us permission to hand it out as a free model. It is in the markings of Company C, 1st Battalion, 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division, and an image of Omaha Beach is reflected in the windscreen (a bit of artistic license, although it is possible that a C/1/505PIR jeep might have made its way to Omaha Beach).

It will be the tenth anniversary of Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days and by good fortune all four of the original participants will be here: Rick Steffers, Greg Perry, Kevin Stephens, and me. Below are some images of the first Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days event. The gentleman in the white cap (Images 4 and 5) was Bill Lentz, who spotted my Fiddlers Green model of the Piper L-4 Grasshopper and told us that he flew in an L-4 as an aerial forward observer with the 13th Airborne Division, including during the crossing of the River Rhine. He was happy to sign a copy of the model: “Bill Lentz, 96 missions, ETO.”

Here are the threads about the previous Paper Modelers’ Displays at USAHEC:
2018: Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2018
2017: Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2017
2017 April Special Event: 1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center
2016: Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2016
2015: Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2015
2014: Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2014
2013 March Special Event: Paper Modelers at USAHEC 2013
2012:Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2012
2011: Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2011
2010: Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2010
2009:
Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2009

If you live anywhere near Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA, or if you will be traveling nearby on that weekend, we hope you will stop by to say hello, to enjoy the Army Heritage Days activities, and to get acquainted with the USAHEC and the U.S. Military History Institute – it’s a great place to do research for future models, to learn about your own Army ancestors and relatives, or to make use of the vast collection of documents.

If you wish to participate in the event, please send me a PM.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2019-ahd-1-1.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2019-ahd-1-3.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2019-ahd-3-5.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2019-ahd-3-3.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2019-ahd-3-4.jpg  

Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2019-airdave_ahd19_d-day_jeepr.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-29-2019, 06:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
It looks like four of the models I displayed at the inaugural event survived the move to Iowa. I will put those on my list to bring along for this one too.

greg
Old 04-29-2019, 06:39 PM

I hope you will be able to bring the Ford GPA, the M3 light, M3 medium, M4 Sherman, and the Studebaker tank transporter, and well as the Stug/Famo/Trailer combo, but the main thing will be to see you at AHD again.

Don
Old 04-29-2019, 07:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Don

Hope there is a great participation and lots of models.

Looking forward to the photos.

And new builds as well.

Isaac
Old 04-30-2019, 06:19 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Will we need vendor passes to place on dashboard as in previous years?
Google Adsense
Old 04-30-2019, 06:50 AM

Hi Don - Yes. I expect to get them from Karl (Bloody X-acto Knife) Warner in a day or so, and will send them out, along with the load-in, load-out maps. I'm looking forward to seeing you and your models. Don too
Old 05-16-2019, 09:21 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
We are 24 hours away(roughly) from when a group of your fellow members will be setting up and gathering for some camaraderie and displaying of paper models.

If you are local to Carlisle, and want to come meet us, and talk shop, we will be in the main building, so come check us out.

The weather will be great the entire weekend.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 05-17-2019, 03:56 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Wish all of you well. Have a great time!
Old 05-17-2019, 04:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Hope everyone has a wonderful time! Always looks like so much fun.
The rest of us will live vicariously through your reports and photos.

JoeG
Old 05-17-2019, 08:01 AM

I plan to be at the USAHEC Visitor and Education Center around 1200 to begin the set up. Anticipate that Greg Perry, Rick Steffers, Kevin Stephens, Linda Kemp, Jack Colin, and Lil will arrive during the afternoon to finish setting up before we all retire to the Café Bruges for the Food of Rick's people: Belgisch bier, mosselen en frieten.

Peter Ansoff, Don Weeks (with his D-Day armada) and Bob Fleming, and John Dell (with substantial portions of the Fifth, Seventh, Eighth, Tenth, Eleventh, Thirteenth, Fourteenth, and Fifteenth Air Force Bomber Commands in 1/72 and 1/48 scale) expect to roll in before the gates open at 0900.
Google Adsense