PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 06-11-2019, 01:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
There really are some great looking models in there. Fantastic examples of what can be achieved in the paper/cardboard medium.

As far as "putty and paint" is concerned, I use both of them a lot, it's just become what I do, I enjoy it, I am happy with the results. At the end of the day, I want great looking models. I have an immense amount of respect for anyone who can build a paper kit without having to apply putty or paint to hide their mistakes or improve the look of a model or part.

I've enjoyed learning some of the techniques used by plastic modelers and applying them to paper kits. On the weekend, I displayed 2 of my paper models (plus their putty and paint) at Australia's biggest Model show (plastic). They were the only two paper models entered in the competition. They happily allowed me to enter my models to compete against the plastic, one judge even mentioned my models required a higher skillset than theirs, as we all know they do. I didn't win any prizes but I also wasn't treated with contempt for not being "one of them". Everyone I spoke to were blown away by what I'd achieved in paper. The point I'm trying to make I guess, is who cares what a model is made out of, really? Do you need to insist on 100% paper to be happy with the results? If so, then fine, that's your thing. Each to his own. But like I said... I'm a modeler. I make models, I like models, I use as much paper as I feel comfortable using but I'm never going to be a paper purist.

Having said that, I'll probably never build a plastic kit again, those prices are insane. And like Kacper said, using pre-cast resin wheels wouldn't sit well with me either.

So, back to the original topic, great looking models, thanks Isaac for sharing the link. I've seen the pics Herky mentioned on facebook, but these pics were a lot nicer, good colours etc. I've seen a lot of those kits for sale, it's nice to see some pics of them built.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 06-12-2019, 12:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Ok just few comments from me.
1,polish shows love free models and many of them feature canon models and most of the animal models are from this site.
2.there are very few internet access problem in this country.
3, most polish modelers have enough knowledge of english to read instructions as us english speakers have to build polish german or dutch models.
4.models are judged at these shows either as basic models-ie no paint resin or putty or as enhanced models,its two different criteria.

personally i buy most of my models from polish german and dutch sites for one simple reason.They produce models of what i like to build. AS an avid ship builder JSC,HMV,Mowe Velag and Scaldis are my preffered companies purely on that basis.This forum has two very talented ship model designers whose work greatly interested me .One sells as wagner models and the other Barry is sadly no longer with us.Aircraft dont interested me personaly with the exception of air daves hercules and yoavs incredible work.I find no faults with others but at same time have no interest.

Mayby some onus should fall on members of forum who live in these countries to use forum produced models at thes shows or is that too simple an idea.

Rant over but i for one love to see these shows and the standard of work produced on all models free or otherwise

Last edited by herky; 06-12-2019 at 12:36 AM. Reason: errors
Old 06-12-2019, 12:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffro View Post
There really are some great looking models in there. Fantastic examples of what can be achieved in the paper/cardboard medium.

As far as "putty and paint" is concerned, I use both of them a lot, it's just become what I do, I enjoy it, I am happy with the results. At the end of the day, I want great looking models. I have an immense amount of respect for anyone who can build a paper kit without having to apply putty or paint to hide their mistakes or improve the look of a model or part.

I've enjoyed learning some of the techniques used by plastic modelers and applying them to paper kits. On the weekend, I displayed 2 of my paper models (plus their putty and paint) at Australia's biggest Model show (plastic). They were the only two paper models entered in the competition. They happily allowed me to enter my models to compete against the plastic, one judge even mentioned my models required a higher skillset than theirs, as we all know they do. I didn't win any prizes but I also wasn't treated with contempt for not being "one of them". Everyone I spoke to were blown away by what I'd achieved in paper. The point I'm trying to make I guess, is who cares what a model is made out of, really? Do you need to insist on 100% paper to be happy with the results? If so, then fine, that's your thing. Each to his own. But like I said... I'm a modeler. I make models, I like models, I use as much paper as I feel comfortable using but I'm never going to be a paper purist.

Having said that, I'll probably never build a plastic kit again, those prices are insane. And like Kacper said, using pre-cast resin wheels wouldn't sit well with me either.

So, back to the original topic, great looking models, thanks Isaac for sharing the link. I've seen the pics Herky mentioned on facebook, but these pics were a lot nicer, good colours etc. I've seen a lot of those kits for sale, it's nice to see some pics of them built.
the only non paper parts i ever use are internal strenghtening in the form of toothpicks inside masts or undercarriage struts on aircraft.my greatest enjoyment after building models is the amazement i see when i tell people they are made purely from card with NO added extras but thats just me,