PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 06-22-2019, 03:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Sounds like a wonderful place and a wonderful event. Your models are absolutely perfect for that venue. Good wishes!

Don
Old 07-15-2019, 02:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
So...an update...

I have confirmed and agreed to set up a paper model display table for the Museum's Open House.

I am cleaning my models right now...and sorting out some table signage.
The Field Artillery Tractor will be on display, so if you're interested in seeing it...

Looks like I have three Canadian themed vehicles I can put out
(the WW1 Armoured Car, the WW2 FAT, and the post WW2 Centurion).
I figure I'll also take some RCAF Trainers - I have two, old and new, prop and jet.
Maybe a Mustang Fighter as well?

I'm only using a 6ft table, so thats probably enough.

Anyone else want to set up a table display?
As I said before, it should be Canadian Military themed models, and I'll need to let them know asap.

I am probably going to set up my display at the end of day on Saturday.
Then I don't have to scramble Sunday morning.
Not sure what time I will make it down on Sunday.

Heres the info again, regarding the event, times and location.
I'll bump this thread again, just before the event.

26th Annual Open House
Sunday August 4
Canadian Military Heritage Museum
347 Greenwich St. Brantford
Open 10am to 4pm
https://canadianmilitaryheritagemuseum.ca/
Old 07-30-2019, 11:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Friends:
Museum road trip time, looks like my wife and I are going on a road trip over the boarder on Sunday. Get to do Military Museum Victorian House museums Brant House museum and get to meet AirDave all in one day
Old 07-30-2019, 03:31 PM

Looking forward to it Miles!

Hopefully others will drop in to say hello. The more the merrier.

Can't honestly say when I will get down there on Sunday,
but if anyone wants to make sure they meet up with me,
I can give you my phone number (best for text(ideal), but you can also try calling).
Just drop me an email and I'll give you the number.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:00 PM

ONE MORE BUMP!

I've got models packed, and all my table accessories ready to go.
Crossing my fingers that the weather holds out.
Another hot day again (31 degrees) but i'd rather have that than rain.

I will be setting up my display tomorrow afternoon.
That way I won't have to be there early Sunday.

Not sure exactly when I'll get there on Sunday.
But as I said, if you can't find me, just text or call me.

Anyone else planning on dropping by?
It doesn't cost you anything and parking is free.
It would be nice to see some other modellers.
I know there are a few within driving distance.

Looking forward to meeting Miles from NY state!

Gary? you coming down?
Google Adsense
Old 08-05-2019, 08:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
After Bump:
My Wife and I did the 200 mile museum road trip.. 2 min to get into Canada at the Lewiston Queenston bridge. Nice Museum of Canadian Heritage Military. was hot Air Dave found me taking lots of photos of the Gun Tractor really fun to meet in person some one who one has corresponded with for years. then we went to the Mohawk Reservation to two more Museums. getting back across the bridge took 1 1/4 hours.
AirDave should post pictures his camera is much better than mine. This was an enjoyable day to go to this museum lots of people in period uniforms they also drove the equipment around it was not just static display and one got to hear what they sounded like.
Good Trip,
Miles
Old 08-05-2019, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the initial report, Miles!

Don
Old 08-05-2019, 09:42 AM

My first time attending the Annual Open House at the Canadian Wartime Heritage Museum in Brantford Ontario was an interesting experience.
I was invited to set up a display of Paper Models...which I did.
I brought along seven models directly related to Canada.
Three generations of ground vehicles including a WW1 Armoured Car, a WW2 Field Artillery Tractor,
and a more modern Centurion Tank all in Canadian Army livery.
I also included four aircrcaft...a WW2 Harvard Trainer, a WW2 Spitfire Fighter, a postWW2 RCAF Mustang Fighter, and a modern RCAF Tutor Jet Trainer.
I made sure to include signage detailing each vehicle, as well as signage explaining "Paper Models".
Visitors took plenty of my business cards too.

The Museum building was packed with its normal displays, as well as numerous extra display tables featuring Guns, Ammo and various Military equuipment.
There were also additional displays of Military Patches and Badges, as well as Silent Auction, Raffle and Sales items for the Museum.
Despite the lack of airflow and extreme temperature inside the building, spectators packed the place and really seemed to enjoy the assortment of exhibits.

Outside wasn't much cooler, another very clear, bright and sunny ...and sweltering day in southern Ontario due to the very high UV.
I don't envy the many "Soldiers" dressed in period costume for display and re-enactment scenarios.
They must have been uncomfortable in those old time wool uniforms.

Not sure I really get the "re-enactment" thing...I know its a serious hobby for some and I don't mean any disresepect.
But I always find it hard to focus on the mock battles, with parking lot battlegrounds and modern cars nearby!
I try to imagine real soldiers and combat situations, but I never find it very convincing.
I think it lacks the reality of real blood, injury and death which is an integral part of war we should never ignore or forget.
But they did put on an impressive display of very noisy gun fire with many weapons used in the re-enactment.
The earlier display of weapons fire, illustrating the sounds of various types of weapons, was extremely interesting.
And I love the smell of gunpowder...reminds me of "caps" when I was a kid.

All the Museum vehicles were outside, and are all in running condition..so its great to see them driven around.
There were a few extra vehicles brought along by private individuals too.
A lovely Norton Military motorcycle, which unfortunately did not run.
I thought I got a photo of it, but apparently not.

I got a short lesson about an actual WW1 Vickers Machine Gun,
and was shown the differences between an air cooled Aircraft type versus a liquid cooled ground type.
Only thing better would have been the chance to fire one!

All in all, it was a good day, except for the heat and sweaty conditions.
I think if I attend again next year, I'll maybe sign up to help out in some way.
Having seen most things within a couple of hours, I didn't have much else to do...and didn't really know anyone there.
I didn't need to stay at my display table, and frankly it would have been quite uncomfortable spending four hours indoors (although many exhibitors did!)
So I ended up spending a lot of time outdoors, under the shade of a food tent, catching what little breeze there was trying to stay as cool as possible.

It was great to meet in-person, another forum member (Miles), but its unfortunate that other local paper modellers didn't take part.
Maybe next year I can expand on the display of paper models with more tables and more models?
I am formally inviting other modellers to take part with me.
I had plenty of room and available tables for more. And I have extra table cloths and display materials...you only need bring your model(s).
As I said before, it should be models themed to Canadian Military Heritage, but that could include all kinds of things.
Hopefully we can talk about this more.

Anyway, heres a few photos...
the Museum's facebook page has more (https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...1534&ref=br_rs)
Attached Thumbnails
Canadian Military Heritage Museum Open House-can-war-heritage-museum-day-1-.jpg   Canadian Military Heritage Museum Open House-can-war-heritage-museum-day-2-.jpg   Canadian Military Heritage Museum Open House-can-war-heritage-museum-day-3-.jpg   Canadian Military Heritage Museum Open House-can-war-heritage-museum-day-4-.jpg   Canadian Military Heritage Museum Open House-can-war-heritage-museum-day-5-.jpg  

Canadian Military Heritage Museum Open House-can-war-heritage-museum-day-6-.jpg   Canadian Military Heritage Museum Open House-can-war-heritage-museum-day-7-.jpg   Canadian Military Heritage Museum Open House-can-war-heritage-museum-day-8-.jpg   Canadian Military Heritage Museum Open House-can-war-heritage-museum-day-9-.jpg   Canadian Military Heritage Museum Open House-can-war-heritage-museum-day-10-.jpg  

Canadian Military Heritage Museum Open House-can-war-heritage-museum-day-11-.jpg   Canadian Military Heritage Museum Open House-can-war-heritage-museum-day-12-.jpg   Canadian Military Heritage Museum Open House-can-war-heritage-museum-day-13-.jpg   Canadian Military Heritage Museum Open House-can-war-heritage-museum-day-14-.jpg   Canadian Military Heritage Museum Open House-can-war-heritage-museum-day-15-.jpg  

Canadian Military Heritage Museum Open House-67530253_1153839568144850_4054344575035113472_n.jpg   Canadian Military Heritage Museum Open House-67625229_1153839598144847_8862551851497684992_n.jpg  

Last edited by airdave; 08-05-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
ONE MORE BUMP!

I've got models packed, and all my table accessories ready to go.
Crossing my fingers that the weather holds out.
Another hot day again (31 degrees) but i'd rather have that than rain.

I will be setting up my display tomorrow afternoon.
That way I won't have to be there early Sunday.

Not sure exactly when I'll get there on Sunday.
But as I said, if you can't find me, just text or call me.

Anyone else planning on dropping by?
It doesn't cost you anything and parking is free.
It would be nice to see some other modellers.
I know there are a few within driving distance.

Looking forward to meeting Miles from NY state!

Gary? you coming down?

Sorry Dave, couldn't make it. My dad took a tumble and wound up with a concussion (2 days in hospital). So my wife and I have been arranging things for him for the next little while.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 08-05-2019, 10:14 AM

Excellent display of your models and excellent images of the vehicles and reenactors.

Many thanks, Dave! You represented the paper modeling community in an outstanding fashion.

Don
Google Adsense