PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 07-04-2019, 05:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 101.64 MB
Good Museums in Sault Saint Marie

Hello Everyone,

It has been a very long time since I posted anything, and even longer since I built any models. Life is just too busy - I'm not complaining - things are good - there are just not enough hours in the day. But I have been lurking on this site everyday though and enjoying all of the awesome builds going on.

I recently had a chance to visit two museums in the US/Canada border cities of Sault Saint Marie that were very good, and could be an inspiration for more paper modelers. On the Ontario side, I went to the Canadian Bushplane Museum which focuses on the history of not only bush planes, but fire & rescue aircraft serving in the remote parts of Canada. On the Michigan side, I visited the Museum Ship Valley Camp which allows a self-guided tour of a retired Great Lakes Freighter. If you ever have a chance to be tourists in this area, I highly recommend taking a day to visit these two destinations. Pictures to be posted next.
Google Adsense
Old 07-04-2019, 05:10 PM

Here are some Bushplane pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Good Museums in Sault Saint Marie-cb1.jpg   Good Museums in Sault Saint Marie-cb2.jpg   Good Museums in Sault Saint Marie-cb3.jpg   Good Museums in Sault Saint Marie-cb4.jpg   Good Museums in Sault Saint Marie-cb5.jpg  

Good Museums in Sault Saint Marie-cb6.jpg   Good Museums in Sault Saint Marie-cb7.jpg   Good Museums in Sault Saint Marie-cb8.jpg  
Old 07-04-2019, 05:12 PM

Here are some ship pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Good Museums in Sault Saint Marie-vc1.jpg   Good Museums in Sault Saint Marie-vc2.jpg   Good Museums in Sault Saint Marie-vc3.jpg   Good Museums in Sault Saint Marie-vc4.jpg   Good Museums in Sault Saint Marie-vc5.jpg  

Good Museums in Sault Saint Marie-vc6.jpg   Good Museums in Sault Saint Marie-vc7.jpg   Good Museums in Sault Saint Marie-vc8.jpg   Good Museums in Sault Saint Marie-vc9.jpg   Good Museums in Sault Saint Marie-vc10.jpg  

Good Museums in Sault Saint Marie-vc11.jpg  
Old 07-04-2019, 05:30 PM

The Canadian Bushplane Museum has a lot of aircraft on display, especially many of the unique DeHavilland aircraft. You can sit in the cockpit of several of the aircraft. They even have a Fokker tri-motor which is a replica built for the movie "Amelia". Even though it was not original, it was convincing. Naturally, the museum contains many models on display!

The Museum Ship Valley Camp is not only a preserved freighter, but it contains a large collection of artifacts that by themselves would make a quality museum even if they were housed in a building instead of a ship. My favorite part was the boiler room/engine room. I didn't include any pictures of the engine room since the tight spaces filled with machinery did not allow me to take any pictures that could do the entire scene justice. There were many models on board. My favorite was the Steamer Kirby (pictured). And there was also a huge model of a massive freighter that featured working lights (also pictured).
Old 07-04-2019, 08:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.10 GB
Capt. Mike,

I toured the Valley Camp years ago. And it was well worth the visit. From where my wife and I stayed, we could see one of the firefighting aircraft that was tied up along the St. Mary's River on the Canadian side. Nicely marked aircraft. Now that I'm retired, I'll have to get to the Canadian Bushplane Museum.

Dave
Google Adsense
Old 07-05-2019, 07:14 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
I enjoyed your pictures Captain Mike.
Those images of the steel plates on the side of the freighter are some of the best detailed images I have seen.
They certainly show what the finished side of a ship actually looks like. Very helpful for us builders.
That lovely old steamer (Franklin Kirby) would be a nice paper modeling project.
Mike
Old 07-05-2019, 07:40 PM

Mike,

Regarding the Steamer Kirby being a good subject for a paper model - I very much agree! I wish I had more free time.

But if I could tempt someone else, I'm fairly certain that Bowling Green would have plans available for it too
Historical Collections of the Great Lakes :: Vessel Database :: View

Regards,
Capt Mike
Old 07-05-2019, 07:57 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
I searched for the Bushplane museum, looks like a great time waster

CBHC

lots of in action shots of the various aircraft
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo