PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 08-03-2019, 10:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
CAF Bombers on Tour

I've been looking forward to today for a couple of months. The Commemorative Air Force is bringing Fifi the B-29, Diamond 'Lil the B-24, Gunfighter the P-51, and a Stearman to the Lincoln, NE airport for flights and tours. Granted, they were in Omaha earlier this summer, but I was gone. The fun part is that when I was in 7th grade, waaaaaaaay back in 1994, my dad took me to see Fifi and Diamond 'Lil in Des Moines. I found the pics of that day a while back.

Here are pics of the planes back in the day and of my friend and I with Fifi (I'm the gangly dork on the right).

I also plan on taking my model of Gunfighter along and get some pics with the real deal. Hopefully it's not out on flights the whole time I'm there. The plane is actually based in the Omaha area (Council Bluffs, IA)and there is a small hangar museum, but every time I've been there, the plane has been gone.

I'll update with new pics when I get back.
Attached Thumbnails
CAF Bombers on Tour-img_20190803_112426.jpg   CAF Bombers on Tour-img_20190803_112436.jpg   CAF Bombers on Tour-gunfighter.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-03-2019, 12:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isaac
Old 08-03-2019, 12:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great images. I hope you will take many more of the upcoming event.

Don
Old 08-04-2019, 12:20 PM

I survived a long day in the sun and had a great experience. Even though I was forbidden to drop the cash to go fly, I did get hands-on a couple of planes. The weather threw a big wrench into the planned schedule, as the ceiling was way too low to fly in the morning, so a good chunk of the time I was there the big planes were all up in the air, and only coming in for about 10-15 minutes between flights for the bombers, and about 5 minutes for the P-51 and the Stearman. Gunfighter (P-51) was flying all day, so I didn't get the chance to walk up to it and get a good shot of my model with the real deal. They weren't too keen on random people crossing the hot flight line. BUT, I did get a second with the pilot while he was waiting for his next rider and showed him the plane. He held it and loved it. But, it was so short that I didn't have time to get a pick of him with it. Hopefully I will still get that chance as it's based here in town.

The highlight of the day was chatting to the crew of the A-26 "Lady Liberty". They had a late patron flight scheduled, so I was chatting them up a bit before hand. The pilot then asked if I wanted to help them prop the plane before engine start. Hell yes! So, I was an honorary crew member and helped prep them. The crew chief took the pic of me with Lady Liberty afterward. That's why I'm grinning.

Once the flying was done, we were finally able to walk through the B-24 and B-29. I only snagged a couple of pics of the tail section of the B-24. The cockpit was too tight with myself and 3 other people in it. On the B-29, I was too busy talking to one of the pilots and the crew chief to remember to take any. Sorry!
If any of you are in the Sioux City area, they will be there later on this week.
Attached Thumbnails
CAF Bombers on Tour-propturner.jpg   CAF Bombers on Tour-p51mini.jpg   CAF Bombers on Tour-real-gunfighter-.jpg   CAF Bombers on Tour-fififlyover.jpg   CAF Bombers on Tour-fifi1.jpg  

CAF Bombers on Tour-fifi3.jpg   CAF Bombers on Tour-fifi4.jpg   CAF Bombers on Tour-diamondlil1.jpg   CAF Bombers on Tour-diamond-lil2.jpg   CAF Bombers on Tour-b24tail1.jpg  

CAF Bombers on Tour-b24tail2.jpg   CAF Bombers on Tour-a26.jpg  
Old 08-04-2019, 12:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.18 GB
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Google Adsense
Old 08-04-2019, 02:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for these excellent images.

Don
Old 08-05-2019, 07:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.74 MB
I bicycled around Epply Omaha Sunday evening and saw that the A-26 "Lady Liberty" was back in Omaha for the night. Couldn't see any others.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:39 AM

The rest of the group moved up to Sioux City. Just Lady Liberty went to Omaha.