PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 08-06-2019, 01:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
Thunder over Michigan

This past weekend was the Thunder Over Michigan air show at Willow Run, Ypsilanti MI. The usual display of private and military planes were on hand, but the feature was (billed as) the largest gathering of Corsairs since the Korean conflict. Thirteen were scheduled, but three cancelled due to mechanical problems. Nevertheless, it was a great show, and 10 were still the largest group at one place as billed!

Forgive my amateur camera work. It is difficult to get 10 planes into one photo, and when it is possible, there is a tree in the way! So, I give you what I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Thunder over Michigan-img_1293.jpg   Thunder over Michigan-img_1292.jpg   Thunder over Michigan-img_1294.jpg   Thunder over Michigan-img_1297.jpg   Thunder over Michigan-img_1291.jpg  

Thunder over Michigan-img_1311.jpg   Thunder over Michigan-img_1313.jpg   Thunder over Michigan-img_1322.jpg   Thunder over Michigan-img_1323.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-06-2019, 01:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Great shots! I've been following the Corsair gathering in Instagram. Very cool and wish I could have been there in person.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Nice pictures. Bet it sounded great when they cranked up those engines.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Many thanks for these great images, Jim!

I have always had a special place in my heart for the Corsair. As think I have told you, it was the first airplane I could recognize. In 1945, while my Dad was in the Pacific, my mother and I lived on the top floor of a duplex house. The bottom floor was occupied by the wife of a Navy test pilot stationed within flying distance of Pittsburgh and flying Corsairs. At least once (in my memory more than once) he flew over the house at low altitude and wagged the wings of the Corsair while we stood outside and waved and the wife pointed out the cranked wings. The pilot also gave me a pile of Air Trails magazines, which I could not read, but loved to pour over, looking at the photographs and drawings.

Probably more than you and others reading this want to know, but those beautiful images triggered my memories.

Keep 'em flying!

Don

PS: I cannot resisting noting that "they look like Corsairs" (older members of the Forum may catch the reference, especially YankeeBoy/member_3 and Rickstef - and dansls1 and wunwinglow if they are still tracking the Forum - it all started herehttp://www.papermodelers.com/forum/aviation/466-mustang-canopy-question-2.html and here Mustang Canopy question).
Old 08-06-2019, 02:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Jim

Great pictures of the Corsairs.

Pappy Boyington would have been proud.

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 08-06-2019, 03:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
A note on that second photo: There are SIX planes there. Count the tailwheels! Jim
Old 08-06-2019, 07:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
I saw Nr. 211 here in Red Bluff, CA last year. That plane gets around.

Mike
Old 08-06-2019, 08:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
As Don says, looks like a Corsair(s). When I was at Tillamook a few years ago, got to see one fire up and go through its pre-flight...sweet.
Attached Thumbnails
Thunder over Michigan-chance-20vought-20f4u-7-20corsair-20wings-20folding-xl.jpg  
Old 08-06-2019, 11:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
An awesome sight!
Old 08-07-2019, 10:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
PS: I cannot resisting noting that "they look like Corsairs" (older members of the Forum may catch the reference, especially YankeeBoy/member_3 and Rickstef - and dansls1 and wunwinglow if they are still tracking the Forum - it all started herehttp://www.papermodelers.com/forum/aviation/466-mustang-canopy-question-2.html and here Mustang Canopy question).
Definitely not to be mistaken for a Sikorsky
Google Adsense