PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 08-16-2020, 06:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
16 August - National Airborne Day

Today in the United States is National Airborne Day, proclaimed as such by President George W. Bush on 16 August 2002. This was his proclamation:

Quote:
Today is National Airborne Day!

The history of airborne forces began after WWI, when Brigadier General William Mitchell first conceived the idea of parachuting troops into combat. Eventually, under the leadership of Major William Lee at Ft Benning, Georgia, members of the Parachute Test Platoon pioneered methods of combat jumping in 1940. In November 1942, members of the 2nd Battalion, 509th Parachute Infantry Regiment, conducted America's first combat jump, leaping from a C-47 aircraft behind enemy lines in North Africa. This strategy revolutionized combat and established airborne forces as a key component of our military.

During WWII, airborne tactics were critical to the success of important missions, including the D-Day invasion at Normandy, the Battle of the Bulge, the invasion of Southern France, and many others. In Korea and Vietnam, airborne soldiers played a critical combat role, as well as in later conflicts and peacekeeping operations, including Panama, Grenada, Desert Storm, Haiti, Somalia, and the Balkans. Most recently, airborne forces were vital to liberating the people of Afghanistan from the repressive and violent Taliban regime; and these soldiers continue to serve proudly around the world in the global coalition against terrorism.

The elite airborne ranks include prestigious groups such as the 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team, "Sky Soldiers," 82nd Airborne Division, "All American," and the "Screaming Eagles" of the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault). Airborne forces have also been represented in the former 11th, 13th, and 17th Airborne Divisions and numerous other Airborne, glider and air assault units and regiments. Paratroopers in the Army's XVIII Airborne Corps, the 75th Infantry (Ranger) Regiment and other Special Forces units conduct swift and effective operations in defense of peace and freedom.

Airborne combat continues to be driven by the bravery and daring spirit of sky soldiers. Often called into action with little notice, these forces have earned an enduring reputation for dedication, excellence, and honor. As we face the challenges of a new era, I encourage all people to recognize the contributions of these courageous soldiers to our Nation and the world.

Now, therefore, I, George W. Bush, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim August 16, 2002, as National Airborne Day. As we commemorate the first official Army parachute jump on August 16, 1940, I encourage all Americans to join me in honoring the thousands of soldiers, past and present, who have served in an airborne capacity. I call upon all citizens to observe this day with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities.

In Witness Whereof, I have hereunto set my hand this fourteenth day of August, in the year of our Lord two thousand two, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and twenty-seventh.

George W. Bush UN
On August 3, 2009 the Senate recognized National Airborne Day with Senate Resolution 235.

There are members of this Forum with a LOT more military parachute jumps than I have (Mike Bauer and JohnM just to name two), but in 1971-72, I was a member of what may have been the world's smallest airborne unit, the United Nations Command Unconventional Warfare Detachment (Airborne)(Provisional). Both of us jumped regularly with the Republic of Korea Special Forces, usually from Huey helicopters, but a couple of times from an elderly ROK Air Force Curtiss C-46. Since there were absolutely no safety precautions on Han River Drop Zone Number One, my youngest son was able to watch my last jump and to come out onto the drop zone to carry my helmet off the field. In the last image, he is wearing miniature jump wings, miniature Naval Aviator wings (given to him by one of our friends when he had his tonsils removed at the 12st Evacuation Hospital several month earlier), and a Special Forces beret (not mine - I wasn't a member of the SF).

I have posted these images before, but feel compelled to post them again on this day.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
16 August - National Airborne Day-korea_02_july1972_jump.jpg   16 August - National Airborne Day-korea_04_july1972_jump_collision.jpg   16 August - National Airborne Day-korea_05_july1972_don3_watching.jpg   16 August - National Airborne Day-korea_06_july1972don-don3_leaving_the_dz.jpg   16 August - National Airborne Day-korea_07_july1972_don.jpg  

16 August - National Airborne Day-korea_08_july1972_don3.jpg  

Last edited by rickstef; 08-16-2020 at 07:26 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 08-16-2020, 07:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Don

I have never jumped from a perfectly good airplane.

Hats off to you and other jumpers.

Isaac
Old 08-16-2020, 10:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.21 GB
N e a t !

Bp
Old 08-17-2020, 12:42 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Nice Don that you have those photos.

I can count the photos of me when I was in the military in no more then two hands! For some reason non were really taken - with the fact it was difficult to obtain film playing no doubt a huge part. Wish I had more! Or digital cameras existed!
Old 08-17-2020, 11:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Wow, that... is the kind of picture that would have popped into my head if somebody describes 'a US soldier'. For someone who can't be more removed from the military, it is eye-opening to be able to hear these experiences first hand. Thank you Don for sharing.
Google Adsense
Old 08-17-2020, 02:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
What gives a bigger thrill than a DD parachute jump? A DD with an Irving Delta 2 Parawing in 1960 ... then succeeding in making it go back up from 500ft to 1000ft!

It wasn't until the Para-Commander came out in the mid-60s that the venerable sport of Paragliding was invented. Now even kids are doing it with
parafoils..

PS. for Isaac ... Back in the day, we rarely jumped out of perfectly serviceable aircraft either. RAF Hastings and Beverly mainly. I'd rather jump than risk landing in them. A certain VC10 later became our favorite Mother Bird. We exited (more correctly ... fell out) when the co-pilot opened the nose wheel doors.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 180.54 MB
Don
Thanks for pointing this out as I was shamefully unaware. I won't forget as the 16th is my Dad's birthday. What great photos with your son. And thanks so much for your service.
sp
Old 08-18-2020, 05:52 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Absolutely inspiring seeing you in action Don.
Great photos to have kept all these years.
If you have any more to share, let em fly!
Mike
Old 08-19-2020, 07:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
There is a connection between all this and paper modeling. Aaron Murphy offers a Curtiss C-46 Commando in various liveries, including that of the ROK Air Force https://murphs-models.webs.com/curtiss-c-46-commando

Regrettably, I did not document the tail numbers of the C-46 (or C-46s - it may have been the same airplane or different ones) I jumped from, but Murph's model (10-541) looks just like the aircraft I remember.

Don
Old 08-19-2020, 08:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Don you look like you were enjoying that!