PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 06-28-2021, 09:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021

Been planning a trip to the Wright-Patterson AFB Museum for several years.

Weather, an engine problem stopped me in years past.

The first try was in 2017 when I bought my airplane. Tornados in several places along the route stopped me.

Then in 2019 I tried it again. As I was climbing up over the Cascades near Seattle, my engine started running really rough. Hammering effect actually. An exhaust valve was hammered into a "tulip" shape. It would not seal and my compression was really bad. I limped home to Alaska.

This year I made it.

On the 18th of June, a day that started off hot with clear skies.

My plane was parked at First Flight Aviation at the Wright Brothers Airport KMGY. They have what is called a courtesy car, a vehicle that airports let you use, you just need to fill the tank and check the fluids before returning.

Was my second day, Staybridge hotel about three blocks from the airport was where I was staying. Super nice hotel, with real fridge and stove/dishwasher in each room.

First day was spent changing the oil and a few maintenance issues. Airport was short handed, so the owner allowed me to change it myself. He told me a new mechanic was due to start work the following Tuesday.

My courtesy vehicle was a full size Chevy Van. The air conditioner didn't work so down came the windows. Hotter than hot is the best way to describe the temp that day.

In fact everyone was having record highs along my path. Washington, Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, South Dakota, Illinois, Ohio. Route was north to visit several landmarks, Tetons, Yellowstone, Devil's Tower, Mt Rushmore.

Anyway here are a few photos:
Wright Brother Bicycle
Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0554.jpg

Fokker
Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0565.jpg

Curtis Challenger 600 Cutaway engine
Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0581.jpg

Could not find a Pratt & Whitney R1340 anywhere in the museum, would liked to of got some photos of the accessories etc...

Forgot the name of this one
Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0585.jpg

Self explanatory
Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0780.jpg

Dyna-Soar X-20 model
Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0678.jpg

Vapor Super Car
Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0752.jpg

Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0753.jpg

Self explanatory
Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0817.jpg

The main reason for the visit XB70
Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0824.jpg

A few more of the 427 photos I took follow.

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 06-28-2021, 10:22 PM

June 18, 2021 cont.

Here are a few more photos:
Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0848.jpg

X-15 Speed Record Holder
Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0853.jpg

Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0854.jpg

Did not know this one was located here, future model project
Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0889.jpg

Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0892.jpg

Maybe I can finally finish my P26 Boeing Pea Shooter, reference photos taken
Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0589.jpg

Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0593.jpg

Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0594.jpg

Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0595.jpg

Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0600.jpg

The Dayton, OH area had a couple of other surprises besides the X3.

Right after the museum visit, went back to the hotel and fell a sleep.

Woke up to my phone sounding like Tsunami alert, have had two of these in the past year, this time it was a Tornado alert.

Boy was it dark, black as any night. Rain was coming down sideways and the wind was horrendous. Watched out the window for several minutes. Before realizing you're not supposed to be by the windows, so I packed all my bags in case the need to evacuate arose.

Okay, back to look out the windows, what a show!

Then the wind stopped liked somebody threw a switch, 3-seconds later it was blowing and raining just as hard only 180 degrees different direction.

The funny thing is; everyone of my family when I mentioned this said, "You must of been in the eye". I beg to differ, an Eye of a hurricane is different than a Tornado, just saying...

It was a second Tornado nearby.

After the wind and rain stopped, the clouds parted and then a really interesting sunset showed up through a hole in the clouds. I thought the sun was already down, it was that dark!

I spent some hard earned money to buy some Spectra rope, small diameter is really, really strong. Spectra Rope had the same breaking work load as 1/2" dia braided nylon which weighs 3-times as much for the same length.

I'll use the Spectra for all my tie-down needs from here on out: My plane was in one piece!

What was the other surprise?

Remember I mentioned that I changed my oil in the First Flight Aviation hangar?

Well after changing, the crew invited me to have a beer after work. I hurried to a local liquor store and bought a 6-pack of Alaskan Amber to share.

Then the owner left, soon after I did too. Saw him talking with someone, that someone looked familiar.

Didn't have my glasses on so, I thought no-way could it be who I thought it was.

Went into the office getting ready to leave. Then the owner walked in and asked me how many people lived in Alaska, the answer approx. 750,000.

Then he waved Sean in, yep the new mechanic that was starting on the next Tuesday. When Sean saw my plane tied down, he asked, "where is Mike, there can be only one plane painted like that."......

Mike
Old 06-28-2021, 10:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Sounds like the years of trying have paid off. That museum is still on the top of my bucket list, but I won't be flying there. At least not in my own airplane. I'm glad that you made it safely and I hope you have many more adventures like this one to come.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-28-2021, 11:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
The biplane in the first post has a P-6 Hawk vibe to it. (Which is what the sign says. Love high res photos)

The X-3 has been on my wish list for ever. It's one of those planes I need to see in person to get the feel for the shape though. I can't get it from pictures, and can't find a plastic model.
Old 06-28-2021, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willygoat View Post
Sounds like the years of trying have paid off. That museum is still on the top of my bucket list, but I won't be flying there. At least not in my own airplane. I'm glad that you made it safely and I hope you have many more adventures like this one to come.

Thanks for sharing!
Yes, it was worth it. The museum was part of my vacation trip.

Actually main reason was to go fly in the winds the Wright Brothers used for their airplanes at Kittyhawk, Kill Devil Hill, NC. Realize it was mid-summer not December, but the wind was a strong cross wind.

Seeing the hill and the Monument on top, the rocks they set in place to show distances of the first 4-flights was well worth everything that happened.

Yes, there were a few issues, mechanical problems, wild land fires in the west and the heat.

It took 29.8 hours to fly the 4481.5 miles to Kittyhawk. The return back to Alaska took even longer, 32.5 hours to travel 4630.9 miles. Total time/miles for the round trip: 62.3 hours/9112.4 miles. Average speed 146.26645 mph.

Photos of the Wright Brothers Monument, okay and a few of my airplane....
Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0053.jpg

Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0065.jpg

Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0078.jpg

Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0089.jpg

Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0095.jpg

Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0164.jpg

Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0184.jpg

Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0185.jpg

Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0266.jpg

Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-dsc_0998.jpg

Yes, this is a stunt plane. Notice the Aux Fuel tank I used as a passenger? 20-gallons allowed me to go 1100 miles if needed. Normal only 800-mile range. Add the oxygen cylinders I used to go up high and it was a flying bomb!

Took my first aerobatic lessons when was 62-y/o.

If you're interested, before leaving I bought and installed a ADS-B system. You can go to this link to follow my flight, part of the public domain: N999SN Flight Tracking and History - FlightAware

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 06-28-2021 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Stunt Plane description/link
Google Adsense
Old 06-28-2021, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
The biplane in the first post has a P-6 Hawk vibe to it. (Which is what the sign says. Love high res photos)

The X-3 has been on my wish list for ever. It's one of those planes I need to see in person to get the feel for the shape though. I can't get it from pictures, and can't find a plastic model.
Hi Aaron, yes it does look like, but, however the engine is a P6 Hawk engine. Thought I took a photo of the placard for the plane, I can't find it. The P6 was oval shaped not round cowling. Thinking it might be an early version before an engine change.

Just not sure.

Mike
Old 06-29-2021, 06:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wow!, what a trip!
Old 06-29-2021, 06:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Great pics and nice summary of the trip. Wright-Patterson is on my bucket list. I've got the Paper Trade X-3 to build one of these days. I think Gary P. also designed one and S&P as well. I built the plastic kit (Lindberg?) when I was a kid and my brother gifted me a 1/144 Dragon kit that contains two complete planes - one is clear to show the engine.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Mike

Congratulations on finally making this long planned trip.

Since I have moved out of Dayton last year, I no longer volunteer at the US Air Force museum nor the Wright B flyer museum in KMGY airport and thus we missed an opportunity to meet.

This must have been a very grueling trip. And the tornados in Ohio are a constant. Two years ago we had multiple tornadoes that decimated neighborhoods in Dayton. One was just across the street from the museum.

Isaac
Old 06-29-2021, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great images and a great story, Mike.

The airplane is a Boeing P-12E: Boeing P-12E > National Museum of the United States Air Force™ > Display

Don
Google Adsense