PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 10-09-2021, 09:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Webinar on U.S. Pilots Recovered Behind the Lines in China in WWII

The Army Heritage Center Foundation (AHCF - the charitable organization that helps support and fund the activities of the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center) presents webinars on various aspects of Army history. These are open to the public.

The most recent webinar may be of interest to some Forum members. "Fallen Tigers: The Fate of America's Missing Airmen in China during World War II. Historian Daniel Jackson, himself a combat-tested pilot, sheds light on the stories of downed aviators who attempted to evade capture by the Japanese in their bid to return to Allied territory. In gripping detail, he reveals that the heroism of these airmen was equaled, and often exceeded, by the Chinese soldiers and civilians who risked their lives to return them safely to American hands."

You can view the webinar here: Fallen Tigers: The Fate of America's Missing Airmen in China during World War II with Dan Jackson - YouTube

You can see a list of previous webinars with links at: AHCFoundation - YouTube

And you can learn more about the Foundation here: Programs - Army Heritage Center Foundation

Incidentally, the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center is where we hold the annual Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days events. Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2019

I am waiting to hear if Army Heritage Days will be held next year. More on this when I find out.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Webinar on U.S. Pilots Recovered Behind the Lines in China in WWII-fallen-tigers-title-slide.jpg  

Last edited by Don Boose; 10-09-2021 at 09:30 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 10-10-2021, 09:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Don:
Interesting timing, The family was just talking about a restaurant in Buffalo New York near the airport called flying tigers it has been closed for years now was a great historic semi museum and good food watch planes take off and land . Had to tell the 20 year old daughter that yes she was there in a stroller. Wish it was still going. Will watch the Web program
Thanks for posting
Miles
Old 10-10-2021, 11:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 113.01 MB
Thanks for bring that to my attention Don! I found the presentation to be fascinating.

A number of years ago I attended a talk given by a member of the 23rd FG. He showed gun camera footage from his P-51 when they attacked a Japanese Air Base. When he was taking questions after his talk, he was asked about his favorite aircraft. He answered the P-40, "because it would get you back home'. Now I better understand that comment.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Thank you Don, a very enlightening take on the topic indeed. I hope there is still time to recover some of the incomplete pieces of this history, and am glad to hear there are people very actively working on this.

Japan governed Manchukuo as if it was another part of their home territory, with proper education campaigns to instill Japanese values in the younger generation. Even then, one only needs to speak with someone from that period to find out what kind of dim view they took of the Japanese. It is therefore not difficult to imagine the situation in the rest of occupied China, where the Japanese did little more than putting the gun behind the population. It is even fair to say the occupation has definitely played a huge role in shaping the modern Chinese sense of nationality. Even with a civil war and a Korean war that followed, we are still thankful for the assistance offered by the Allied nations in the times of need.