PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 11-10-2021, 01:42 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
The first table...

The first table, greeting you upon entering, next to the entry sign, belonged to Pete Ansoff. Pete organizes these conventions every year. He shared that they have been using the same location for years, and wishes to continue at the Hampton, but the costs at this hotel have become prohibitory. He's trying to make it happen again next year, if possible, at the same location. I thanked him for making this year happen, despite the obstacles.

The first images show a selection of his kits. Included are a couple of vintage cars, a space shuttle, A familiar building (more of that in a minute), and a couple of birds, most notably an owl (more about that after too).

Behind the pictures is collection of paper models that were auctioned off in a private auction for the members. I wanted to get a Titanic kit there, that was different from the Alan Rose kit that got destroyed in a recent flood, but I'm not a member!

But then again, you know what Arthur Marx said...but then, he wasn't wanting a large Titanic model, was he?

If you do become a member, you can bid upon the kits. They are donated by members and then bought, with proceeds going to pay for the conventions. There's a very large assortment of kits that are auctioned at a banquet in the evening, held at a location different from the hotel where the convention was held. I was advised that the auction was as typically as entertaining as it was an opportunity to get unusual kits. At this banquet, awards are allocated to winning table holder.

I should mention that admission to this convention is free. Members are those who rent out tables to display their work. There is a contest regarding best models that is fiercely pursued (some even bribe you with candy, but I'll never tell...). Visitors may vote for favored kits and displays. I noted this year, that a table that lets new participants rent a space, for $5 each, to display their kits without having to pay for a whole table. I understand that, in some cases, people split the cost of a table and share the space.

Tables are not made of paper...

Most tables are manned by the members. They are open to share observations and ask questions about their kits.

Pete, as the chair of the event, starts off the presentation with his table sitting next to the registration booth, which he was manning when I entered.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-peter-ansoff-exhibit-1.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-peter-ansoff-exhibit.jpg  
Old 11-10-2021, 02:07 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Pete's feature builds...

Two kits that Pete displayed were particularly notable. The first combined two of my favorite things; my home & airships!

Pete Ansoff built a model of the Empire State Building that he adjusted with a connection rod to simulate an airship docking at the top of the mast.

Pete told me that the Empire State building he displayed was a Fiddler's Green kit that he enlarged, to create the necessary size to combine it with an airship from another site. This was a neat idea. I remember driving by the Big E often and always being awed at is size end majesty. Of course, there was no airship docked in those days. That was before my time...well, it would have been, had it happened...

The Empire State Building was the tallest building in the world formally years, at 102 floors, until it was surpassed by the World Trade Center in the early 70s. It was completed in '31 and was a competitor to the equally attractive Chrysler Building, under construction around the same time. There was some fear that the Chrysler Building would add some height to surpass the Empire, so a 200 ft metal sculpture was added to the top, with a fitted airship mast for dirigible docking. Of course, airship docking at the height would have faced considerable challenge, given the wind shear often present and powerful updrafts caused by the massive building itself. The airship dock was abandoned after several unsuccessful test docking and a radio antenna replaced it.

The only joining of an aircraft and the building was an unfortunate incident when a US bomber smashed near the top floors.

Pete built his version to mimic the dirigible dock that was in place early in the building's life. Connecting to the Fiddler's Green enlargement, he added a Ralph Currell kit that you can get for free at his download page. The kit he selected was the Vicker's Transatlantic Airship; a vessel proposed in the 1930's that might have visited the Empire State Building, had it ever been built. Unfortunately, it never was, and had it been built, it would have been unlikely able to dock, but the image of the airship joining the tallest building of the era is as attractive as Pete's beautiful model. Its quite worth seeing, if he brings it back in any future conventions. Its a clever combination of two kits with very effective scaling...

The next pic is a close up of Pete's Owl. This is a breath-taking work that is both startling and inspiring. It reminds one of the oft repeated question...is that made of paper?
Attached Thumbnails
The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-peter-ansoff-exhibit-2.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-peter-ansoff-exhibit-0.jpg  

Last edited by THE DC; 11-10-2021 at 02:11 AM. Reason: pic didn't load
Old 11-10-2021, 07:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DC View Post
...Behind the pictures is collection of paper models that were auctioned off in a private auction for the members. I wanted to get a Titanic kit there, that was different from the Alan Rose kit that got destroyed in a recent flood, but I'm not a member! ...

...If you do become a member, you can bid upon the kits. They are donated by members and then bought, with proceeds going to pay for the conventions. There's a very large assortment of kits that are auctioned at a banquet in the evening, held at a location different from the hotel where the convention was held. I was advised that the auction was as typically as entertaining as it was an opportunity to get unusual kits. At this banquet, awards are allocated to winning table holder....
In case anyone is interested, I have a couple of videos (on my youtube channel)
davescardcreations - YouTube
taken at the 2013 and 2014 IPMC events, of the Banquet and Auction proceedings.
*I did film at the 2018 event, but i guess I haven't uploaded that video.

You'll see its meant more as a fun time for all...thats the primary objective, and the auction puts some extra cash into the Convention fund.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Be sure to avoid the 2014 awards presentation (2014 Intl. Paper Modelers Convention Awards Ceremony - YouTube) in which Anne McCombs (this year's Awards Presenter), Rick Steffers, and I speak foresoothly and perpetrate many paper modeling in jokes.

Don
Old 11-10-2021, 11:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Be sure to avoid the 2014 awards presentation (2014 Intl. Paper Modelers Convention Awards Ceremony - YouTube) in which Anne McCombs (this year's Awards Presenter), Rick Steffers, and I speak foresoothly and perpetrate many paper modeling in jokes.

Don
LOL

NO enjoy!

Don is the highlight of any occasion, as are the entire bunch.
I'm glad I got the chance to attend (more than once thanks to Don and others here).
Google Adsense
Old 11-10-2021, 11:37 PM

The Alan Rose Tribute...

The next display in the convention was a tribute to the paper model designer, Alan Rose. It was designed and presented by Pete Ansoff.

Mr. Rose was a person I would have liked to thank (for several reasons that will soon be explained), but he passed away before I had the chance. Mr. Rose was born in Germany in 1948 and lived until fairly recent. A typical Army brat, he moved around, seeing the world as a youth and developed an appreciation for design. He studied art in school and became an architect, designer, graphic designer for The National Lampoon Magazine, and a prolific paper model designer.

His first paper model design was the Empire State Building, coincidentally my first paper model, and still one of my favorites. This was not only a well drawn kit, but stood about four feet tall; permitting modification and even the attachment of little King Kong figures, which was a real bonus to a you man.

Mr. Rose then designed a Chrysler Building, another favorite of mine, and the proceeded to publish a series of other large paper models based upon famous architecture; the Brooklyn Bridge (actually published before the Chrysler Building), the Tower of London, the Sears Tower, the Eiffel Tower, the U.S. Capital, the Taj Mahal, the Vatican, and a Japanese Pagoda. He also developed a kit for the Disney, Cinderella Castle and also added to his publishing portfolio, several non-buildings; an art-deco train diorama, another art-deco diner set, a route 66 tribute, a Titanic & Hindenburg kit, a San Francisco Cable Car, and even a Corvette. He even designed a five foot Saturn 5 Rocket and a similar sized DC-3, which I have never seen (I'm going to be hunting for one!) until this convention.

This varied collection was produced from the late seventies inspiration at a party,to the 90s when his last book was published. It introduced many to the craft (including me) and made such kits affordable and accessible when many others were either over-seas or inaccessible to the average youth (due to limited directions or limited availability in the States).

I was fortunate enough to benefit from Mr Rose's work last year. When Covid-19 struck, closing up many sources of entertainment, and quarantining youth in group homes, we set up a contests between different houses and clinics to build some of Mr. Rose's kits in a friendly competition. It made the early hours of the pandemic more tolerable to youth who were being denied visits from family and friends, and could not really go anywhere for diversion. Peter Heesch was instrumental in helping with this effort, as he went out of his way to rush some kits to me when our orders to eBay ran into troubles.

Some of the youth never finished the kits, struggling with their first model project (many youth today have very little exposure to mechanical tasks, having mostly computer-driven experiences) and at the time, I was unable to visit the different locations to help staff promote the event) where other youth were successful in completing their kits. A couple met with disastrous fates; ironically a water-logged (but not ice berg-struck) Titanic kit delivery and a Hindenburg that crashed. Those that did complete their kits provided a virtual presentation of their work to other homes, describing some research that they did on the topic of their build, providing their build experiences and on other interesting learnings gathered, during that they had build. Information was shared about the Apollo missions, about those that died when building the Sears Tower was constructed, and even about the black cat that supposedly haunts the Capital building. Several youth shared how the experience taught them more than about the kit; one stating that once his group stopped arguing with each other, the process went well and the experience was more enjoyable. He took the Sears Tower home with him when he discharged from the program.

Mr. Rose had long passed away (2015) but this last summer, his work had become very helpful during a trying time of youth care. I wish he could have heard about how his efforts had been so helpful during a very difficult time for some young people' who were already challenged.

The exhibit displayed Alan Rose's work (see pic 1). It also provided some detail about the library of accomplishment (see pic 2). The exhibit even illustrated the author prone, next to some of his large creations (see pic 3).
Attached Thumbnails
The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-alan-rose-tribute-exhibit-1.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-alan-rose-tribute-exhibit-6.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-alan-rose-tribute-exhibit-3.jpg  

Last edited by THE DC; 11-10-2021 at 11:39 PM. Reason: pics not loading
Old 11-10-2021, 11:45 PM

The Alan Rose Tribute...[continued]

There were several interesting artifacts from the exhibit. If you look at the main display pic above, you'll notice a completed cable car in the lower right. Additional to this completed kit were three design plans, with notes (see pics 1, 2, & 3).

In addition to this insight into the publishing process, and author's thoughts, some Saturn 5 kit plates were also exhibited (see pics 4, 5, & 6).

An added bonus was a boxed exhibit of one of Rose's finished Saturn 5 kits (see pic 7).

Please note the other partial kit, the 6' 4" DC-3 model, sitting on the box above the Saturn 5. I'm including a pic of the book cover that provides this kit for anyone, like me, who wants to hunt one of these down (see pic 8)!
Attached Thumbnails
The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-alan-rose-tribute-template-cable-car.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-alan-rose-tribute-template-0.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-alan-rose-tribute-templates-3.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-alan-rose-tribute-templates-1.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-alan-rose-tribute-templates-2-copy.jpg  

The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-alan-rose-tribute-templates-2.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-alan-rose-tribute-exhibit-5.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-alan-rose-tribute-exhibit-4.jpg  

Last edited by THE DC; 11-10-2021 at 11:50 PM. Reason: pic not loaded
Old 11-10-2021, 11:56 PM

The Alan Rose Tribute...[continued]

And a last pic. Here's a close-up of the DC-3 kit...

It was a nice exhibit and an appropriate tribute to a real artist and pioneer for a man who made card modeling available and accessible for U.S. youth, as few had been as successful.

RIP Mr. Rose.

-& thanks...
Attached Thumbnails
The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-alan-rose-tribute-build-dc-3.jpg  
Old 11-11-2021, 07:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for this interesting and very thorough report, Don. I appreciate the amount of time and effort you have put into your narrative and images. I've enjoyed reading these entries and look forward to the future entries.

Don
Old 11-11-2021, 10:36 PM

Appreciate it, Don.

I sent you a PM to prepare for your booth; please send the info so i can post your info...