PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 11-22-2021, 09:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Thanks for the kind words, DC, it was nice talking with you at the show.
For more info on how I made the tires for the Dragon wagon see my build thread starting here. http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/398987-post96.html
Old 11-23-2021, 01:19 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
In return...

The words were well-deserved...especially about your kindness to young people who can further this craft!

Thanks for adding the link to the build thread. The results are astounding, when seen in real life.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:10 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Matt Jefson exhibit John Deere

The next exhibit booth was likely the most unique of the convention. Matt Jefson didn't merely display his collection of work; he built a shrine to JohnDeere products!

A few grain silos and a couple of paper grain bags were interspersed with a massive selection of different scale John Deere tractors and farm equipment. There were dozens...dozens of dozens (is that 144?).

Some of the tractors were the typical green and yellow paint scheme, some has tillers, discs, and spray barrels behind them on trailers, and some were small and others large scale. Some were all paper, others had clear plastic windshields, and all were detailed, accurate representations of the manufacturer's many designs over the ages.

Matt Jefson's passion for John Deere paper models has led his to exhibit his work in more than this paper model conventions; he has displayed these vehicles in other, farm and instructive settings. His exhibit is well organized and even contains special plastic display containers that make stacked displays easier to browse.

One tip that he shared was the use of clear plastic for windscreens. He noted that when the clear panels were cut to size, and affixed with careful bracing, the interior fo the model is more accessible and the effect appealing to the observer.

Unfortunately, my phone did not capture many images due to the processor gremlining (its an Apple), turning the programs fixed images into shaky mini-movies that weren't salvageable. At least from this pic you get a perspective at the hundreds of hours required to provide such a comprehensive effort.

And he's not done. There are apparently more John Deere vehicles to build, given the partially finished works at the edge of his booth.

Be sure to stop by next year. He'll share tips and eagerly describe any models that you are curious about.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-matt-jefson-exhibit-john-deere-.jpg  
Old 11-24-2021, 12:20 AM

Roman Detyna Exhibit

The next table in the convention belonged to Roman Detyna. The exhibit displayed some amazing work, with kits that were and to describe, given their detail and accuracy.

There were four major kits displayed (see pic 1), and several small mini kits. The large kits consisted of an early Age of Sail, a civilian ship, and a coupe of extremely detailed war ships of the last century. The main exhibit vessel had several small details that could have been separate kits in their own right (see pic 2); a launch, a biplane, flying boat, and some gun turrets that were museum quality.

Unfortunately, the couple of time I dropped by the boot, Roman was not there, so I never got to chat with him. I hope to next year.

I recommend dropping by his exhibit booth next year and take in the detail of these pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-roman-detyna-table.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-roman-detyna-exhibit-1.jpg  
Old 11-25-2021, 12:22 AM

Steve Brown Exhibit

The next exhibit booth belonged to Steve Brown. Mr Brown was a dedicated builder, working upon a kit even as he manned his presentation. The kit, the Cut & Assemble Victorian Railroad Station, was authored by a giant in accessible kit designs for paper modeling, Edmund V. Gillon Jr. Like Alan Rose, Gillon has contributed greatly to our craft, mass-marketing a large variety of architectural structures, of simple buld-design, but clever & attractive detail and explicit instructions. I have found his books very useful to teach the craft principles to young modelers, as they start out in the learning of kit building. Many model designers underestimate the need and value of instructions with their kits; an especially sound need for those starting out and making an effort to build a kit, without the designer's knowledge of how the parts are supposed to assemble. I have observed many times where youth give up on a kit out of frustration, due to lacking directions.

Like Alan Rose, Edmund V. Gillon Jr. provided detailed and explicit instructions with his kits. There has been more than one occasion when I have wished I could have thanked him for his work. His kits have permitted me to guide youth and geriatric clients through building of small villages around their Christmas trees, and then they use the kits as centerpieces during facility open houses and holiday dinners with guests.

Unfortunately, I will never get a chance to thank Edmund V. Gillon Jr. The prolific and talented designer passed away in 2008.

Steve Brown provided an exhibit in the vein of Alan Rose and Edmund V. Gillon Jr. His booth was demonstration, instructional, and inspirational. Mr. Brown's start on the Victorian Rail Station model was interesting. He was cutting pieces and displaying completed portions of this detailed and attractive kit as part of his table exhibition. He had made progress on the attractive Gillon. kit, displaying his process and techniques in his exhibition of his finished pieces (see pic 1). The addition of a partially completed kit permitted him to share his build ideas in a way more effective than he could have with only a finished kit. The "in process" kit encouraged questions and discussions about technique and build processes. In addition to his display of his construction efforts, he displayed a wide variety of kit subjects, scales, and designs, to illustrate what is possible with patience and skill.

At one corner of his table was a selection of flyable paper aeroplanes, of simple, functional appearance, while at the other corner were detailed, well-finished kits. The subjects displayed were a wide variety; a space shuttle, a piano, a missile, some excellent birds, trains, boats, and even a phone booth (see pic 2). Next to his in-process Victorian Rail Station, were several other small buildings. Mr. Brown was proud to display, and share detail about a building-kit, that he had built decades ago. Near that preserved construction was a duplicate kit completed, that he had only rebuilt in a more recent year, after having preserved the original for what would be a lifetime to many.

His prolific building experience was rivaled by his patronage to the IPMC. Around the perimeter of this exhibit table were a collection of name tags from years prior to this 2021 event. So many were displayed that the name tags overlapped with each other along the entire perimeter of two sides of the table!

Mr. Brown was also kind enough to share some build tips for fellow modelers, that I can share now. He noted that he finds basic Elmers Glue adequate for some of his building efforts. He also extolled the value of a good cutting mat. Additionally, he suggested developing a portable build kit, explaining that kit-work can be completed in remote area, not just in a stable home environment. He explained further that he regularly built kits when out and about, when he had some extra minutes between tasks. He suggested that the portable kit should be basic and simple, displaying his selection of tools in his kit: an adhesive bottle, a cutting tool, some coloring tools, items to facilitate folding, and a small box to secure and protect your portable kit.

The exhibition was very effective, as the table not only displayed his talent, technique, and his history with the IPMC, but his additional presentation of a kit, in medias res, permitted and encouraged the sharing of process tips and mentoring to visitors. I'd recommend a visit next year, when he has added the 2021 tag to the perimeter of this table, probably starting the third part of the perimeter?!
Attached Thumbnails
The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-steve-brown-exhibit-1.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-steve-brown-exhibit-2.jpg  
Old 11-25-2021, 12:47 AM

IMPC room 1

That concludes the walk around the the first display room of the IMPC. There are two more rooms to cover, to continue this effort to share with those unable to attend, what was available and presented that October day. I am hoping the thread description will encourage those many, who have never attended, the inspiration to calendar this event.

Before heading into the other two rooms, I may wait a few days. Its not my goal to dominate this thread. There may be some things that I got wrong, that demonstrators may wish to correct, or things that I missed that they may wish to add. There was a great deal of talent and skill illustrated in this room. Any exhibitors form the main room may wish to share build tips and techniques, or even pics of the kits that i have described, to better illustrate the exhibitions. Before moving to the other two rooms, I want to give those presenters a chance to share more of their talent and knowledge.

The IPMC is a great place for modelers of considerable talent to share their skills and accomplishments. It is also an important event, with the potential to inform the public of this craft, and mentor lesser experienced builders in the skills and techniques that are slowly dying out. I want this thread to be a place to promote the sharing and learning that is such an essential part of promoting and preserving this craft.

In the digital age of virtual experience, learning to construct, bend, fold, cut, glue, and mold is becoming a far less frequent experience for the youthful members of our society that it was when many of use were starting out. In my profession, visiting and exploring the educational experience of young people has demonstrated to me how much computers have replaced observation, keyboards replacing pencils, and messaging displacing conversations. In some classrooms that I visit, there are no spoken words for an hour or more, as the youth tune into their screens, their faces bathed in blue light, and a teacher wrangling them like some technical supervisor. There are definite benefits of the digital age, but their are also losses.

The emphasis is upon digital images in many educational and social experiences for youth; not upon the development or physical building of real things. Many times, after completing a project, a youth has shared with me that they had never built anything with their hands before; nothing. The computer age had given the paper modeling craft a boost in the use of the computer to design kits and the home printer to produce what had formerly required a visit to a bookstore or purchase from over seas. We may be in the golden age of this craft. But the youth currently growing up in our cities do not get much exposure to the joy of building. Its not part of the zeitgeist of our age.

To preserve the value of building things, we'll haver to make what we know accessible to people with less experience-driven confidence to try these techniques of manual craft. If we do, maybe the 2121 IPMC will have a exhibit of how long, and how valued, this community and craft have been, over the next hundred years.

Feel free to add you thoughts and mentoring at tis time, if motivated.

I'll come back with other rooms soon. Thanks the exhibitors who have been sending PMs to me to make this walk-thru better. I hope my descriptions have adequately representing your displays that day.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.11 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DC View Post
His prolific building experience was rivaled by his patronage to the IPMC. Around the perimeter of this exhibit table were a collection of name tags from years prior to this 2021 event. So many were displayed that the name tags overlapped with each other along the entire perimeter of two sides of the table!
Steve holds a unique distinction: he is the only person who has attended every single one of the IPMCs, including the founding 1997 meeting in Miles Mandell's living room in Dayton.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:22 PM

Partying like 1997...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ansoff View Post
Steve holds a unique distinction: he is the only person who has attended every single one of the IPMCs, including the founding 1997 meeting in Miles Mandell's living room in Dayton.

Now that was a party...
Old 11-27-2021, 10:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Thanks DC of this thread. Your report makes me wanna meet all of you someday but you are so hopelesly far away that maybe it won't ever happen. But with these kind of kind, detailed and personal reports I sort of get to know you folks. So thanks again DC!

BR Tappi
Old 11-28-2021, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapcho View Post
Thanks DC of this thread. Your report makes me wanna meet all of you someday but you are so hopelesly far away that maybe it won't ever happen. But with these kind of kind, detailed and personal reports I sort of get to know you folks. So thanks again DC!

BR Tappi

Thanks!

I didn't think of it the way you replied but its good feedback. I went there planning to share the details and pics of kits, and any build tips, since I think about how much knowledge and talent needs to be shared, but if I go again, I'll try to add more personal anecdotes.

Thanks for the direction...

Thanks also for those participants who have been sending info and tips fr their exhibits, before I cover the exhibits. I was pretty exhausted that day from driving all night and took poor notes (and even more poor photos, at times!). I appreciate all that you have sent to build up the descriptions when I come to them. Share any details about yourself you'f like to, before I get to the last two rooms at the convention.

I have a couple of pics I can't identify; a yellow road grater (#50 or 38) and a display of 3 items: a tank on rails next to a tracked transport (#56) & an unfinished piece of armor. Feel free to send me info about these so I can properly represent them when I get to that room.

Be back with the next room's tour soon...