PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 09-20-2009, 09:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The Market at Washingtonburg

The annual Market at Washingtonburg closes today. It is one of the annual events of the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA, in which reenactors, living historians, and vendors of items relating to 18th century life gather for three days of festivities and reenactments. The U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC)

Unlike Army Heritage Day, which takes place in May, the Market goes beyond military aspects of the French and Indian, Revolutionary, and other American 18th century wars to include all aspects of life during that time: hunting, agriculture, food preparation, leather making, weaving, fishing, printing, blacksmithing, and so on.

Our Papermodelers-dot-com group has a strong connection with AHEC and puts on a display each year at the Army Heritage Day (Army Heritage Day).

We do not currently have a Washingtonburg display, but AHEC would love to have us do so, and I propose that we arrange to have a display next year. Silveroxide's magnificent horse-drawn vehicles would be a natural. His artillery are too late in time, but it seems to me that he could extrapolate from his Model 1857 Napoleon 12-pounder gun-howitzer model to an 18th century artillery piece (notice how I, with a design record of zero and a build rate of zero point oh one have no difficulty in coming up with spendid projects for others).

AHEC website: The U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC) (A great place to do research on that next model of a piece of U.S. Army equipment or to find out more about an ancestor or relative's Army outfit, be it the 26th North Carolina in 1863 or the 10th Mountain in Afghanistan in 2009.)

AHEC events: The U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC) (note the monthly lectures to which you are all invited)

Here are some photos of this year's event (Lil and I especially enjoyed seeing and listening to Janene Miller's mountain dulcimers):

Don
Attached Thumbnails
The Market at Washingtonburg-039a.jpg   The Market at Washingtonburg-041a.jpg   The Market at Washingtonburg-042a.jpg   The Market at Washingtonburg-043a.jpg   The Market at Washingtonburg-044a.jpg  

The Market at Washingtonburg-045a.jpg   The Market at Washingtonburg-046a.jpg   The Market at Washingtonburg-047a.jpg   The Market at Washingtonburg-049a.jpg   The Market at Washingtonburg-053a.jpg  

The Market at Washingtonburg-054a.jpg   The Market at Washingtonburg-055a.jpg   The Market at Washingtonburg-057a.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Thanks for the Plug Don. I also have a revolutionary cannon and naval cannons on my agenda as well. It is getting hard to break away from the 18th century period with so many items to choose from. By next year I should have a good collection for that time period. Just keep mentioning this event as it gets closer to the time frame.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Cool Don! Looks like you had a fine outing and good weather, too. Would Nothing's Colt be the wrong time frame? That might be cool? Looks like a neat event with emphasis on the historical everyday life at the time.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
My route back and forth to the Penncon show yesterday went right by AHEC. It looked like a rather well attended event and I may have to stop in next year.

Greg
Old 09-20-2009, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nothing's Colt might be too late but his not-yet-designed 18th century muskets, rifles and pistols should fit in perfectly! Wink-wink-nudge-nudge-say no more!
Google Adsense
Old 09-20-2009, 11:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
And Nothing's Colt would fit in well at Army Heritage Day.

Of course you will be there next year, Greg! Sitting at the Papermodelers-dot-com table alongside Kevin and Rick and Silveroxide and me -- and maybe the friendly neighborhood Troll, as well!
Old 09-20-2009, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Yes, Don - nag (I mean, remind) me about the Army Heritage Day. It will be fun to be back in my old Mechanicsburg area stomping grounds...