PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 09-01-2009, 09:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Penncon 2009

As an advocate of paper modeling I think it imperitive that those who can participate in IPMS plastic model contests, do so with their paper projects.

It is not a requirement to belong to IPMS to participate in any contest other then the nationals. The next show in my area is:

CenPenn IPMS

This contest is located in Mechanicsburg, PA (right off route 11, Don) and I know of a few people that are located nearby that could also participate (or at least show up to support me ).

For those not liking to compete against each other, the judging format for this is such that each model is judged against a set standard and not against the other entrants.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info on my plans to attend this show.

Greg
Old 09-01-2009, 11:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is about 30 minutes from my home in Carlisle. I will make every effort to be there, Greg, but won't be able to bring any models.

The Market At Washingtonburg event takes place at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center in Carlisle the same weekend, 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM, 18-20 September: The U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC)

If any paper modelers plan to attend either or both events, I'd also be glad to know and perhaps we can meet up. 20 September is also my 69th birthday, oh by the way.

Don
Old 09-20-2009, 08:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
PennCon Photos

Lil and I spent yesterday morning at the Market at Washingtonburg, an annual event at the Army Heritage and Education Center that I will describe in a separate thread (The U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC)).

Then we drove out through the late summer Central Pennsylvania countryside to Mechanicsburg to visit Greg Perry at the IPMS PennCon 2009. Greg's paper models were essentially indistinguishable from the plastic kits (except better than most) and we heard all the usual "That can't possibly be made out of paper comments," especially about the Hunley and Admiral Ushakov. One truculant visitor insisted that Greg's GPA amphibious jeep was a well-known Tamiya kit.

We also talked with Andy [sorry, but I forgot his last name], the president of the Hagerstown IPMS chapter, who is very welcoming to paper modelers. Kevin Stephens had planned to come to the convention, as well, but he got embrangled with household tasks. He and Greg will definitely be at the Dulles International Paper Modelers Convention next month, along with the usual suspects plus Bomarc, Old Troll, Willja67, Ron Caudillo, and many others (2009 International Paper Model Convention).

I'm sorry that I don't have any photos of Greg himself, but here are photos of some of his models. Incidentally, he brought home silver medals for the Hunley and Bremen (and for a Bn2t Freudenstein, not shown), and bronze medals for the Ushakov and Star Aerial (not shown).

I include with the photos of the GPA, Ushakov, Bremen, and Hunley, two plastic models, a PBJ that I thought Bomarc would like to see, and a rather spectacular Morser Karl Gerät just ‘cuz I liked it.

Congratulations to Greg

Don

Photos: GPA, Ushakov, Bremen, Hunley, Plastic PBJ, Plastic Morser Karl
Attached Thumbnails
Penncon 2009-059a.jpg   Penncon 2009-061a.jpg   Penncon 2009-060a.jpg   Penncon 2009-062a.jpg   Penncon 2009-058a.jpg  

Penncon 2009-066a.jpg  

Last edited by Don Boose; 09-20-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Thanks for coming up Don. It was really nice to see you and Lil yesterday.

FYI the Morser Karl got both a gold and best in category yesterday. I think the PBJ got something as well but am not sure what.

My GPA also got a bronze. Wish I could have heard the "Tamiya" comment. That's funny! Specially since you could tell it was a larger scale AND the written description included the kit source (Modelik). Wonder if the judges thought so too, which was why I got a Bronze for it?

When I attended last year, the number of ship models convinced me I needed to try that category this year. Glad I did! I got a lot of eyeballs staring at the admiral and asking questions! Same with the Bremen!

A guy started asking me questions about where to get them and what the kits looked like. A quick trip to the car to get some unbuilts (how did they get in there?) and he was quickly impressed with my newly acquired GPM Leopold. Especially after he saw it included parts and info on building the track and tunnel it would have been hidden inside.

Greg
Old 09-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Congrats on the Bronze. I can figure out that probably someone came by, saw your model and exclaimed "Wow! That is a nice model from Tamiya!"
Google Adsense