PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 01-23-2010, 10:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Well, to answer your questions: There is no "real" canopy. There is a hatch with a 3"X5" window on top, and another window of about the same proportions in the front. The rest of the hatch is solid. This picture shows the hatch on top.

As far as what's inside, I have no clue. I'm guessing not much. Since this was only an 80% scale prototype, there wouldn't have been any full crew support stuff. As far as I'm aware of, the "spacecraft" was dropped from NASA's B-52 mother ship and computer controlled during it's test flights. So, I'd say that if anything, there would be some computer modules, but my guess is that NASA took those out before we got it. Plus, I haven't had time to remove all of the screws.

Oh, and Eric, If you ever decide to design this little gem, I'll be one of the first in line to get it. Shoot, I'd probably PAY to get it!!!! The museum would love to have a model of this on display somewhere. :D
Old 01-24-2010, 04:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.15 GB
I wonder if there would have been a canopy at all in the final desig: The vehicle should have landed automatically.

Thanks for the super detailed images!:D

I am just sorry to see such a wonderful design in the museum. I would prefer to see it docked at the ISS, sigh.

I found a NASA site were some technical background and the cancellation is mentioned, very big sigh...

NASA - X-38
Old 01-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
The I.S.S.'s days are numbered anyway so why build a lifeboat to a ship that won't be there. The future is Orion, if there is any future.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was one of the manned lifting bodies. Robots in the factory, remotely controlled aircraft, remotely controlled spacecraft; when will get remotely controlled women?
Old 01-24-2010, 11:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was one of the manned lifting bodies. Robots in the factory, remotely controlled aircraft, remotely controlled spacecraft; when will get remotely controlled women?
Been done. Roxxxy
Old 01-25-2010, 08:01 AM

Charles, It was designed to be a manned lifting body, but the manned part would have no control :p It is a shame that the program got canceled. I've talked to a couple of astronauts about it and they said they'd much rather have to come home in a pinch in the X-38 than a Soyuz.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.15 GB
I liked the advanced design of the X-38 and hopefully the ISS will be like the old Mir, namely a "die hard" and "I won't go down". So ISS might be our most distant manned outpost for a long time. I hope that the Orion survives the budget cuts and delays. As long as it is in the design phase, the shuttle is outphased, Sojus is likely to be the only access for mankind for several years.
Would be good to see also other designs coming into service like the russian ACTS (Ton, thanks for the model!), Spacehip Two , SpaceX and similar. Maybe the competition would start another space race ...
Old 01-25-2010, 07:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
You have GOT to love a trailerable space craft. What a great shape. Makes me think of the rocket in "Mr. Bass's Planetoid", a fine book I remember from my youth.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipers7 View Post
Would be good to see also other designs coming into service like the russian ACTS (Ton, thanks for the model!), Spacehip Two , SpaceX and similar. Maybe the competition would start another space race ...
I agree. I would love to see the SpaceX folks give NASA a boost up to station. Their Falcon 9 rocket looks very promising. Doesn't hurt that their based next door to Kennedy either. :D
Old 01-25-2010, 11:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by willygoat View Post
...I haven't had time to remove all of the screws.
The fact that touching this thing, let alone with a screwdriver, is even an option for you, fills me with an insane amount of jealousy. :D
I would also love to see a model of this, maybe in 1/12...
Google Adsense