PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 01-16-2010, 01:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Another Show - This time in London

A collection of card kits has been acquired by the Victoria and Albert Museum and they have decided to exhibit them at the Museum of Childhood in London.

They needed completed models so they asked me - all the kits are architectural - see my thread about too many models.

The exhibition is scheduled to open at the end of September and will run for about three months.

The Museum of Childhood will be putting something on their web site at some stage.

I am fairly sure that this will be the first time that a large exhibition of card models has been put on in a big London Museum.

I will keep this thread updated whenever I get any news.

Cheers
Mike
Google Adsense
Old 03-26-2010, 04:30 PM

It's now official!

Cut It, Fold It - V&A Museum of Childhood

I'm hoping they will provide one of their rooms for a Sunday so a separate card model show can be put on. If this happens - I'll be looking for as many modellers as possible to bring their models to London for the day !!!

Cheers
Mike
Old 03-28-2010, 09:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Sounds like a great show.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Congratulations of being asked to participate at such a prestigious venue. Please post pictures of the exhibit if you can.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
when you say architectural models, will they accept modern architecture (skyscrapers?)
Google Adsense
Old 04-18-2010, 07:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
This is super, Mike! Congratulations.

For those who know Bob Freidus, this is a dream come true. For those who don't, Bob is an inveterate collector, an American living in London, who set about to gather together an example of EVERY architectural paper model ever published anywhere, and last I heard, when I met him at the 2003 IPMC. it was over 5,000 separate designs. So what does one do with such a collection? Several years ago, Bob was able to arrange giving it to the Victoria and Albert's Museum of Childhood. He still collects more, and adds them to the vault. It is a stupendous collection. This is surely the ultimate answer for one perennial question. It is great to see the collection being used for public display and education.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:11 PM

Rob,

Thanks for the comments. This must be the first time a big exhibition for card models has been organised in London - I'm quite excited about it !

Regarding the question on skyscrapers, the exhibition will have a wide variety of buildings. The museum have seen over 80 of my models and have come up with a shortlist. However the final decission has not yet been taken, so I am not sure which models they will eventually borrow. I know they are very interested in the Kremlin.