PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > No Comfort and Joy Challenge

Old 09-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Anime Moderator

Total Downloaded: 23.29 MB
NC&J Make Your Own Working Paper Clock

Make Your Own Working Paper Clock
by James Rudloph
ISBN13: 9780060910662
ISBN10: 0060910666

Well, this one has certainly been a major departure for me. (chuckle).

The book itself is good quality hard stock and this kit needs it. (I won't classify this one as a model since it is supposed to provide a functional clock upon completion.)

I initially found the instructions to be a bit vague and confusing but after the first few steps I adjusted to the style and it actually began to fall into place. If you can make square tubes and round cylinders you shouldn't have too much trouble. I would suggest that when you build the motor gear (Largest gear in the clock) you come up with some type of jig to ensure the top and bottom sections are perfectly aligned before you start gluing on the 72 (yes, Seventy-Two) teeth. Aside from that it's a matter of simply taking your time.

Now that the clock is assembled I am finding a thing or two I will be changing;

Primarily, the clock only runs while the pendulum has motion (About two minutes at a time - no pun).
I'm going to experiment with various weights in the pendulum and/or stiffening the pendulum arm to obtain a continous run time until the clock needs rewinding.

I will add that it does make a slightly muffled yet still pleasant "tick-tock" as it runs.

All in all I did have fun building it and if you've been thinking about this model by all means go for it!

Google Adsense
Old 09-02-2008, 05:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Very nice Rick. This is the first time I have seen this one. Good work on the gears. Let us know if you have any success extending the run time.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
I built one of these probably 20 years ago (the design has been around a long time.) I got mine to run more or less continuously as the result of much, much fiddling although any kind of accuracy was just a joke.

"It is like a dog riding a bicycle; not so much that it is done well but that it is done at all."

The main problem I had was that the weights fell way too fast and the thing had to either be hung much higher than my ceiling or had to be wound up every couple of hours when they hit the floor.

I recall placing scotch tape on the surfaces of the pallets where they contact the escape wheel (that wheel that looks like a saw blade) to reduce friction. That helped a lot. Also messing with the pendulum helped a bit, and fooling around with the mass of the driving weights seemed to help. Beware making the weights too heavy because then the clock, being made of paper after all will just wear out real fast.

That's not what happened to mine though. Did I mention that you need to keep the cat away from it?
Old 09-02-2008, 06:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Our youngest son and I each have one of these about 1/6 built. We received them as gifts about 15 years ago, each made a good start, and then other projects took precedence. Seeing yours makes me want to dig mine out and try to finish it up.

Don
Old 09-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Sweet build!