PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > No Comfort and Joy Challenge

Old 10-21-2008, 04:50 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
NCAJ - James the Red Engine

Ok - so I've started cutting and gluing on my 'No Comfort and Joy' challenge model. It's a free model that can be found here. I've never modelled a train in any media. There are 2 sheets of parts and a 3 view included for directions. The kit has a bit over 100 pieces.
I am sure that the toy is based on a real train of some sort, but as I am not a train guy, I'm not really sure what it would be or what the actual scale is. As far as I'm concerned, it's 1:1 scale as it's the same size as the wooden Thomas the Tank Engine toys.
This build is fairly obviously inspired by my 2 1/2 year old. In fact, after gluing the cabin bits on (which I haven't taken a picture of yet), he walked in as I was showing progress to my wife and said 'James! uh oh - James is Broken!' Of course then I had to keep the model away from him as he wanted to play with it. That's probably the real 'No Comfort and Joy' theme of this model for me, it'll either have to be kept away from Niklas, or he will get ahold of it and it'll be destroyed at some point. But, that's life.
First pic shows the wheel 'carraige' on the main engine platform.
Attached Thumbnails
NCAJ - James the Red Engine-james-1.jpg  

Last edited by dansls1; 10-21-2008 at 04:57 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 10-21-2008, 06:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Nice work so far Dan. I may have to do some of those later on. My 15 month old isn't quite into Thomas yet, but he loves Curious George. I'm also having a difficult time keeping my Starship away from him. He just figured out how to push the kitchen chair over to the island and climb on top. Talk about nightmares.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
looks good Dan. Kids grow up so fast, my little one is 12 now and only wants to play computer games. We have to put limits on games and time for playing, but just saying they grow up fast. I don't feel older myself, but looking at them obviously I am!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Willygoat and Dan, just a bit of my own experience with curtain climbers that you might have to look forward to. When my youngest daughter was two, I woke up one morning to find her sitting on top the refrigerator munching on cookies, with nothing in view that she could have used as a ladder. I think they can levitate.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Aviation Moderator

Ok, a bit of real life 'No Comfort and Joy' here. The union at the plating shop where I work went on strike. So, as part of our 'contingency plan' - I've been 'promoted' to line operator, working the off shift. Last week was 4 12's plus parking off-site to be shuttled in. This week has changed to 5 10's. So, needless to say not being used to staying up all night, nor working so hard physically - my ass is basically kicked. I don't know when it's going to end, but I do know I'll be off work from 12/24 to 1/5/09. I'm not likely to do any model building until then, so whatever that does to this challenge model is what it is. I'll try to at least get some latest progress pic's up sometime here.
I suppose the only nice thing is some overtime - a bit of extra money around the holidays never sucks.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Sorry to hear about the strike and then you massive work load Dan. Just look on the bright side. Maybe some of that extra money could go into modeling :D
Old 12-11-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willygoat View Post
Maybe some of that extra money could go into modeling :D
Will next one be "Gordon"?:D and .... I forgot Thomas' buddie name as my son has already grown up. It was good old days. I would watch Thomas on TV with my sons:p
Old 12-11-2008, 11:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Sorry you're workin so much Dan, I do feel for you and your fam. I have to admit was worried with so much economic difficulties across the land, as you mentioned working in the auto industry. Hope recovery on the way, some promise in the air.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I'm sorry that the job is taking you away from paper modeling, Dan, but I'm glad that it's bringing in some extra money for the holidays.

I sympathize -- I'm sending this from the office, where I have been spending most of my time, with no paper modeling taking place. I have given up on my own NCAJ Peder Skram project for now.

Hope you'll soon be able to get back to work on James . . . not to mention the Wahlfisch!

Don
Old 04-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Aviation Moderator

Well, in what can only be classified as a minor miracle, I completed a model! And only just under 4 months later than the challenge deadline!

Overall I had fun with this kit. I removed almost every tab - and should have removed them all, if you look closely where the 'face' butts against the boiler tank you can see a few of them where they didn't stay folded as well as they should. Other than that, he went together as I think he should have. The last picture shows the model next to the toy version from my sons ever-growing 'Niklas' Sodor' :D
Attached Thumbnails
NCAJ - James the Red Engine-james-finish-1.jpg   NCAJ - James the Red Engine-james-finish-2.jpg   NCAJ - James the Red Engine-james-finish-3.jpg   NCAJ - James the Red Engine-james-finish-4.jpg   NCAJ - James the Red Engine-james-finish-5.jpg