PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > No Comfort and Joy Challenge

Old 11-10-2008, 10:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Chris, if you like armored trains check out the GPM Pilsudczyk and Krasnaja Zwiezda
That's funny. I just randomly found pictures of both together here:
Vehicles Military - Trains
The Zwiezda is my avatar on here, it was a fun kit.

Shrike - who designed this one? The texturing looks a lot like the Zwiezda. Should be a good build!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Well so far, aside from the C-channels being rather unforgiving, they are also mis-printed with a white locating area filled in grey and the adjacent visible surface white. That's fixable.
There are two slots on the deck that need to be cut out to locate the superstructure. They aren't marked any differently that location spots for some of the running gear, and I missed cutting them out. That may be a challenge later one..

I'm using this to talk myself into or out of GPM's PP-52 <g> I'd also need 4m of shelf....
Old 11-11-2008, 09:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I've got the PP-52 and a number of the older armored train kits, but I haven't built any of them yet as they all seem to be slightly beyond my skill range at the moment. I'm saving them for my retirement (if that ever happens). I may use them for patterns for some G-gauge model trains as well (my other hobby!).
It's those little issues that these kits seem to all have that worry me! I'm not very good with following directions normally and when they're in a foreign language, well, there's reason to be concerned!
That's why it's so very nice to see them built online by someone else first! Continued success on this one and thanks for the notation of issues!
Chris
Old 11-11-2008, 12:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
That's disappointing I guess. The Zwiezda didn't have any problems at all, other than maybe being prone to some warping from the large surface. At least, I don't remember any. I even had the wheels (with chain) rolling, but then I was forced to glue it to the rails.
I guess it was a simpler train though.

Heh, I would've bought the PP as well if not for the ridiculous length.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:13 PM

I'm not bad mouthing the kit, just pointing out what I find as I go. The idea of this contest was to build something outside your comfort zone, which this is. I know I've come across worse problems in aircraft kits and skipped right on by.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
The name is cool, sounds mean. And the turret should be fun to make?
Old 11-11-2008, 10:22 PM

I believe it translates properly as "Tank-hunter Car".
While being on rails would make it easy to locate and range a train, I wonder if the stability and smoothness of the track would confer the same extra accuracy that makes a shore battery the usual winner vs ships.

I'm looking forward to the turret, which is why I'll be a good boy and work through all of the running gear and such first<g>
Old 11-14-2008, 06:49 PM

Not a lot of progress to report. I got the sidepanels on, and that did take care of a lot of the lengthwise warpage. There is still a little bit of a crown to it, but I imagine that will go away when the printed deck panels go on.
Next comes the superstructure that supports the turret. And here is where the slots I missed cutting out will come to haunt me. I'm hoping that the fit will be such that I can locate it well enough without them

Below pictures, including the first one of it right side up
Attached Thumbnails
NCAJ Panzerjaegerwagen 1:25 (GPM)-ncaj-panzerjagerwagen-005.jpg   NCAJ Panzerjaegerwagen 1:25 (GPM)-ncaj-panzerjagerwagen-004.jpg  
Old 11-14-2008, 08:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
It looks pretty good from here. This is a pretty cool machine - train & tank all in one (and no tracks) - does it get any better?
Old 11-15-2008, 06:23 PM

A little more visible progress this time

The superstructure is simple enough, although I had to add a couple of internal corner gussets to offset more warpage. That's a recurrent theme with this so far. I'm attributing it mostly to the size of the pieces.

I built the skin for the superstructure to help locate the formers (back to the missed slots from step one <g>). the fit is tight enough to make that possible which is a really good thing. There does apear to be a miscue with the front facets. Probably my doing.

To attach the deck, and skins to the superstructure I'm using UHU office pen glue. The only time i use it is when I have to align and laminate something in place. The greater open time allows more wiggle room than PVA, and I've had bad medium to long-term results with gluesticks.
Attached Thumbnails
NCAJ Panzerjaegerwagen 1:25 (GPM)-ncaj-panzerjagerwagen-006.jpg   NCAJ Panzerjaegerwagen 1:25 (GPM)-ncaj-panzerjagerwagen-007.jpg   NCAJ Panzerjaegerwagen 1:25 (GPM)-ncaj-panzerjagerwagen-008.jpg   NCAJ Panzerjaegerwagen 1:25 (GPM)-ncaj-panzerjagerwagen-009.jpg