PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Current Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Oddball-o-rama contest

Old 02-18-2012, 09:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 36.39 MB
Oddball-o-rama contest entries

Hello everyone, now that I've got time, I like to start up my Oddball-o-rama contest entries thread. In the near future, you'll see a OH-6 Cayuse, B-66 Destroyer, A-26 Invader, XB-42 Mixmaster, and POSSIBLY an A-5 Vigilante. But for today, I'm starting the Mixmaster. So far, I've got the fuselage done, and working on the wings. And hopefully, I'll be able to finish the tail later on, cus I think the tail fillets are missing. Anyway, here's my progress so far.

Jarrod,
Spacemen1969
Attached Thumbnails
Oddball-o-rama contest entries-2012-02-18-22-24-40.487.jpg   Oddball-o-rama contest entries-2012-02-18-22-25-54.096.jpg  
Old 02-18-2012, 09:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Hey Jarrod, are you familiar with these guys' books?
Ginter Books

Quote:
Ginter Books are for both the aviation enthusiast and the aviation modeler. Each publication seeks to present full information about the history of the aircraft, drawings and photographs of the interiors as well as exteriors, and many of the many color schemes used by the squadrons. This offers both the modeler and the historical customer a general reference guide to each aircraft. The collection of books includes many prototype models that never reached actual production, but were valuable stepping stones in advancing the technology necessary to achieve the modern naval fighters we have today.

These books are a "must" for any serious model builder as they give panel lines, wing-folds, bomb loads, cockpit detail and much more information via line drawings and photographs. They are also a "must" for the aviation history buff, as they detail the "how and why" of the conception of these aircraft.

Photos used have come from a great variety of sources that are credited in their captions. Many photos have not been used in any other publications before. Anyone having photos or other information on any of these aircraft or other Naval or Air Force aircraft may submit them for possible inclusion in future issues. Individuals are responsible for security clearance of any material before submission.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:06 PM

No, actually, i'm not. I haven't even heard of them. But anyway, here's the XB-42 with the wings attached. And a display of the tail problem. Anyway, here it is.

Jarrod,
Spacemen1969

P.S. Picture's 3 and 4 display why fillets are needed. 5 shows the only possible way the tail fins could be attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Oddball-o-rama contest entries-2012-02-18-23-00-03.294.jpg   Oddball-o-rama contest entries-2012-02-18-23-00-14.934.jpg   Oddball-o-rama contest entries-2012-02-18-23-02-31.374.jpg   Oddball-o-rama contest entries-2012-02-18-23-03-31.345.jpg   Oddball-o-rama contest entries-2012-02-18-23-04-34.810.jpg  

Old 02-19-2012, 01:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
You might need to trim the fin to get it to fit. I'm gonna draw a connecting piece so the tail will go through the fuselage like the wings do.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Cool plane, but that double bubble is a bit odd. Wouldn't it have been easier to have both pilots in the same bubble? But a nice clean build though.
CT
Old 02-19-2012, 07:47 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
@Jarrod - nice looking build thus far. One little piece of advice, if I may, leave the little,
fiddly bits off until the end i.e., the propellers. They get in the way of the rest of your
build (on any aircraft) and are easily broken as you try to work on the big parts.

@Corey - The first XB-42 prototype had the double bubble canopies. Later versions
had the pilot/copilot seated inline with a single, center mounted cockpit/canopy.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:52 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Nice job on the Xb-42 Jarrod. I'm building it as well, albeit much slower than you (what can I say, I'm old). Your heads up on the tail issue will be very helpful when I get to that point.
Quote:
Cool plane, but that double bubble is a bit odd. Wouldn't it have been easier to have both pilots in the same bubble? But a nice clean build though.
The double bubble canopy configuration was replaced with a single canopy in the second prototype, CT.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:04 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
great! thanks!
Old 02-19-2012, 09:08 AM

Sound good Aaron. And thanks for the advice Texman, but I like to get the little pieces out of the way first, excluding the landing gear, which I do last. And your welcome rockpaperscissor's for the advice, i'm gonna trim down the tail fins, like Aaron said previously.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:10 AM

Just finished fixing the tail fins and attached the forward landing gear. Almost done. Now time to start the main landing gear. Anyway, here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Oddball-o-rama contest entries-2012-02-19-12-08-32.269.jpg   Oddball-o-rama contest entries-2012-02-19-12-08-40.157.jpg   Oddball-o-rama contest entries-2012-02-19-12-08-48.712.jpg