PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Current Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Oddball-o-rama contest

Old 03-30-2012, 08:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
Cessna YH-1 Seneca in 1/40

Here's another Cessna, the YH-1 Seneca, which is quite an easy build and did a lot of work to smooth out the cabin front. Must say it looks more like a puppy (the 6th pic) than a bird. Enjoy the pics. Gotta go, busy, busy again (just kidding).

Papermate
Attached Thumbnails
Cessna YH-1 Seneca in 1/40-p1140993.jpg   Cessna YH-1 Seneca in 1/40-p1140994.jpg   Cessna YH-1 Seneca in 1/40-p1140995.jpg   Cessna YH-1 Seneca in 1/40-p1140996.jpg   Cessna YH-1 Seneca in 1/40-p1140997.jpg  

Cessna YH-1 Seneca in 1/40-p1140999.jpg   Cessna YH-1 Seneca in 1/40-p1150001.jpg   Cessna YH-1 Seneca in 1/40-p1150002.jpg   Cessna YH-1 Seneca in 1/40-p1150003.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-30-2012, 12:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
PM, how do you do it? So clean and without any 'bulges, dents or dings'... Dis you use joining strips or just edge join the parts? I wish I could see your technique in action...
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 03-30-2012, 05:38 PM

Thank you Robert. I used mostly joining strips (that is if I don't misinterpret what joining strips are). The technique is quite simple. Hold the parts to be joint securely by hand until the glue (PVA) is almost dry. Then shape it with your fingers until you are satisfied. Afterwards press and burnish it with harder objects like steel ruler and any roundels along the joints. Patience is the key anyway.

Yes, I still have the Skyhook in 1/40 undone, so maybe I'll post build pics along the way here or on a separate thread after the comp, what do you say?
Papermate
Old 03-31-2012, 12:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Another uber-neat model, nice!

Niki
Old 03-31-2012, 09:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Wonderful job on all those difficult curves!

Wyvern
Google Adsense
Old 03-31-2012, 11:14 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
You have those curves so tight, it looks like you dew lines around the model. They don't look like segment lines. You can get a white marker and color the lines right out of it. Really nice job. Some of the best seam work I have ever seen!
Old 04-05-2012, 01:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermate View Post
Thank you Robert. I used mostly joining strips (that is if I don't misinterpret what joining strips are). The technique is quite simple. Hold the parts to be joint securely by hand until the glue (PVA) is almost dry. Then shape it with your fingers until you are satisfied. Afterwards press and burnish it with harder objects like steel ruler and any roundels along the joints. Patience is the key anyway.

Yes, I still have the Skyhook in 1/40 undone, so maybe I'll post build pics along the way here or on a separate thread after the comp, what do you say?
Papermate
Papermate, that is a good description. Sounds like what I do also, but your results are much better, which brings to mind some specific questions:
1. When do you attach the strips? Before or after you 'roll' the parts? If you look at how my Oddball P4M Beta build is going, you can actually see the strips through the skin - I shape the flat parts after I glue on the strips using a combination of a re-purposed chopstick (bamboo stick) and metal rod, rolling on a large hard rubber 'eraser' block. This I think is what is causing the strip to 'show' through the skin.
2. What kind of glue? How much and how applied?
3. Might you show what kind of tool(s) you use for the shaping and burnishing?

Thanks for enduring my 'buzzing around'...
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 04-06-2012, 05:58 AM

Hi Robert, no problem it's just an exchange of experience. You've got all the answers right.
1. I attach the strips after rolling the parts. At the time same, also roll the strips before gluing. If you have to press the the strips, do it from the inside out and that would not show the strip through the skin.
2. You can see it's just ordinary white glue. I apply a line of glue on the strip, just a little bit more than necessary. After joining, let the glue stay for a short while before wiping it off, or, press the edge of the part lightly onto the strip when the glue is semi-dry to make it flush (hope I'm using this word accurately).
3. One of the metal chopsticks, aluminum I think, costs little and very handy to curl parts and the round end of an old fountain pen is the most useful tool for me in burnishing. Other common tools like tweezers and other pointed tools are also helpful.

Papermate
Attached Thumbnails
Cessna YH-1 Seneca in 1/40-tools.jpg  
Old 04-06-2012, 06:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I'd love to find a pair of metal chopsticks. Not only for rolling and burnishing, but also to stop having to worry about splinters in my orange chicken
Old 04-06-2012, 10:45 AM

I thought you don't use chopsticks

Papermate
Google Adsense